Any Fellow Artichoke Eaters?

I like a good artichoke now and then.

As do I. I don't go very long without eating one - even if they're not the world's most attractive-looking green veggie.

Finding good ones can be a challenge here in Texas.

I understand artichokes are pretty picky about their exact growing environment. Which makes them rarer than most other vegetables. I assume most of TX has a hotter, drier climate than CA?

Pretty much all artichokes sold in the US come from California.

Hotter for sure but it depends on where you are in Texas as far as rain fall.
You can go from 60 inches a year to desert conditions.

Have you looked in mega supermarkets like Safeway? I mean, what doesn't Safeway have?

I like a good artichoke now and then.

As do I. I don't go very long without eating one - even if they're not the world's most attractive-looking green veggie.

I understand artichokes are pretty picky about their exact growing environment. Which makes them rarer than most other vegetables. I assume most of TX has a hotter, drier climate than CA?

Have you looked in mega supermarkets like Safeway? I mean, what doesn't Safeway have?

Picked up two five minutes ago to go with the Mahi Mahi and cream,lemon,wine and butter sauce.

I know it's a lesser-known regional vegetable that flourishes here on Califuckia's central coast - I have several out of state relatives who have never seen or touched an artichoke in their lives. But anyway, I love boiling an artichoke for about 60-90 minutes in a mixture of brine, pineapple juice and lemon juice (to give the green leaves a nice, sharp zing) and eat them with mayo. You peel off the leaves, dip the puffy, meat end of the leaf in mayo and use your teeth to suck all the "green meat" off the leaf, then dispose of the leaf remnant. Then when the leaves are gone and you get to the bizarre-looking, alien heart of the artichoke, you can dip the whole motherfucker in mayo and eat it until there's nothing left. Like all plump green plants, it's packed with all varieties of nutrition. Including anti-oxidants that keep us from oxidizing (because that would be a worldwide tragedy if that happened).

I got into this artichoke w/mayo habit when I was a young child and every time we visited our late grandma's house, she'd feed us a lunch of tomato soup with soda crackers and a boiled artichoke like clockwork. And the funniest/damndest thing is that at 45, I still often cook up grandma's same childhood lunch for myself from time to time.
I love them, too, although I've always dipped them in melted butter cut with a lot of fresh lemon.
I definitely don't remember boiling them for for an hour and a half, though. I steamed them, which usually takes longer, but I know it wasn't that long.
Getting the choke out confused me the first time, too. Man, getting some of THAT in your mouth isn't much fun.
Maybe that's what boiling it for an hour and half does--reduces the choke to something edible?

Picked up two five minutes ago to go with the Mahi Mahi and cream,lemon,wine and butter sauce.

I ADORE Mahimahi, it ranks up in one of my 5 favorite seafoods. It's a dense, filling kind of fish. I'm especially gratified to learn you got wine, lemon juice and butter sauce because those three things are a godsend to any kind of seafood. I'm sure it will make an interesting combo with artichokes. Remember when boiling artichokes: keep the saltwater acidity high with lemon juice and/or some other tart fruit juice to keep the flavor sharp. Because boiling veggies can make them taste a bit boring if you don't keep the flavor "jacked up."

I ADORE Mahimahi, it ranks up in one of my 5 favorite seafoods. It's a dense, filling kind of fish. I'm especially gratified to learn you got wine, lemon juice and butter sauce because those three things are a godsend to any kind of seafood. I'm sure it will make an interesting combo with artichokes. Remember when boiling artichokes: keep the saltwater acidity high with lemon juice and/or some other tart fruit juice to keep the flavor sharp. Because boiling veggies can make them taste a bit boring if you don't keep the flavor "jacked up."

Going to go with garlic,lemon and salt in the water.

Going to go with garlic,lemon and salt in the water.

Exactly what I do. Remember to use plenty of the same on the mahimahi, go nuts and remember to use white wine on everything! LOL, I'm sort of vicariously eating your dinner as an e-dinner-guest from 1500 miles away I suppose. You make the combo sound so good I'm obviously there chowing down in spirit.

Last edited:
I know it's a lesser-known regional vegetable that flourishes here on Califuckia's central coast - I have several out of state relatives who have never seen or touched an artichoke in their lives. But anyway, I love boiling an artichoke for about 60-90 minutes in a mixture of brine, pineapple juice and lemon juice (to give the green leaves a nice, sharp zing) and eat them with mayo. You peel off the leaves, dip the puffy, meat end of the leaf in mayo and use your teeth to suck all the "green meat" off the leaf, then dispose of the leaf remnant. Then when the leaves are gone and you get to the bizarre-looking, alien heart of the artichoke, you can dip the whole motherfucker in mayo and eat it until there's nothing left. Like all plump green plants, it's packed with all varieties of nutrition. Including anti-oxidants that keep us from oxidizing (because that would be a worldwide tragedy if that happened).

I got into this artichoke w/mayo habit when I was a young child and every time we visited our late grandma's house, she'd feed us a lunch of tomato soup with soda crackers and a boiled artichoke like clockwork. And the funniest/damndest thing is that at 45, I still often cook up grandma's same childhood lunch for myself from time to time.

Monterey, where Fort Ord and the Presidio are located, is close to Salinas, which calls itself Artichoke Capitol of the World. That said, I was stationed there 3 times and remember just how many different ways there are to cook them.

Monterey, where Fort Ord and the Presidio are located, is close to Salinas, which calls itself Artichoke Capitol of the World. That said, I was stationed there 3 times and remember just how many different ways there are to cook them.

I live not that far from that area. I do remember it being a giant artichoke plantation, what I call "artichoke alley."

Not a fan of mayo. I dip artichokes in ranch dressing or lemon butter.

And I eat a lot of pickled artichoke hearts on salad and pizza.

They have beautiful flowers.
artichoke.jpg

Not a fan of mayo. I dip artichokes in ranch dressing or lemon butter.

And I eat a lot of pickled artichoke hearts on salad and pizza.

They have beautiful flowers.
artichoke.jpg

Amazingly enough, I've never seen an artichoke flower before,even living just north of artichoke central. They actually look inviting and attractive that way. Less like a plant that H.R. Giger would come up with. I love eating artichokes but they are a bit weird-looking as far as veggies go.

Doesn't hurt the leaves..which is what you want to eat. And the heart, of course.

Doesn't hurt the leaves..which is what you want to eat. And the heart, of course.
Microwaves are good for popcorn and hot chocolate. Nothing more.
And making Artichokes tender faster so you can dip those leaves in lemon butter or ranch dressing....and on to the yummy heart. :D
Vegetables are best fresh. If they require cooking they aren't worth bothering with.

Green peppers for instance. Fantastic raw, disgusting cooked.

Forum List

Back