Any interesting questions on your ballot today?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
We had a question about allowing previous crimes being used against sex offenders during trials.

There was also a question about teachers being required to pass certain tests regardless of union input.

NY has a change of the re-districting procedure, which i will probably vote against because while anything is better than the current system, I don't trust this change enough to vote for it.

Proposal 2 is to allow E-copies of bills to be given to lawmakers. currently every bill has to be printed and placed on the rep's desk. They can still request paper copies if they want. Voting yes on this. Its the 2010's.

Proposal 3 is a bond issue for purchasing technology for schools. Up on the air about this one.

I often wonder why our State Legislature saves their 14 proposed Constitutional Amendments until the Mid-term Elections. Perhaps they feel their chances are better when it is not a Presidential Election as well.

We had a question about allowing previous crimes being used against sex offenders during trials.

There was also a question about teachers being required to pass certain tests regardless of union input.
What happens if the teacher cannot pass the test?

Proposal 2 is to allow E-copies of bills to be given to lawmakers. currently every bill has to be printed and placed on the rep's desk. They can still request paper copies if they want. Voting yes on this. Its the 2010's.
I'm fairly sure it's in your State Constitution that the Bill is to be printed out to be read before it's voted on. But if it's not printed out how do you know it doesn't get changed AFTER it's signed? You better hope this gets voted down or subsequently thrown out in the Courts.

Also, "bonds" means "taxes" so I ALWAYS vote those down no matter the cause.

I'm fairly sure it's in your State Constitution that the Bill is to be printed out to be read before it's voted on. But if it's not printed out how do you know it doesn't get changed AFTER it's signed? You better hope this gets voted down or subsequently thrown out in the Courts.

Also, "bonds" means "taxes" so I ALWAYS vote those down no matter the cause.

In NY state there was a requirement for the bill to be printed, and a copy of it placed on EACH desk of the individual representatives, BEFORE the vote. If this didn't happen the law is invalid. what they want to do is be able to give electronic copies, and only give a printed version on the desk to those who want it.

And?? You are leaving out 2 other amendments...
early voting and an amendment to limit the budgetary powers of the governor.
i voted 'no' on both of those, as well as amendment 3 dealing with standardized tests, teacher evaluations, and collective bargaining.

i did vote 'yes' on the amendment allowing prior crimes to be admitted in certain sex offender cases.

we had a local issue in columbia, a property tax increase phased in over 5 years to hire on more police and firefighters. once fully implemented there would be an additional 55 cops on the force, not sure how many firefighters.

i voted yes on this, even though i often have serious misgivings about the way columbia spends money. we need the police - when it's not unusual for us to have all officers on duty responding to calls there is a problem.

i did vote 'yes' on the amendment allowing prior crimes to be admitted in certain sex offender cases.
Sounds like "Double Jeopardy" to me. If a man has already been convicted how can it be used to increase the penalty in a seperate crime?

Sounds like "Double Jeopardy" to me. If a man has already been convicted how can it be used to increase the penalty in a seperate crime?
it only had to do with sex crimes involving minors. repeat offenders couldn't have their prior convictions introduced, meaning prosecutors weren't able to establish patterns of behavior.

Forum List

Back