Anyone here into metal detecting?

tycho1572

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2016
After coming across this vid....

....Iā€™m now thinking about pulling out an old Garrett Grand Master Hunter lll I havenā€™t used in years.

I started in the 1960's and tried to get my sons involved but not much luck...

It can be a fun hobby for anyone who likes being outdoors and doesnā€™t mind getting a little dirty.
I've never found anything of real value it's just a time killer..
Same here.... havenā€™t found anything of real value.

Iā€™ve always liked walking through the woods because itā€™s relaxing. Bringing a metal detector along can make it fun and relaxing. :)

It can be a fun hobby for anyone who likes being outdoors and doesnā€™t mind getting a little dirty.

Iā€™ve always liked walking through the woods because itā€™s relaxing. Bringing a metal detector along can make it fun and relaxing. :)
Never know when you might need a rusted bottle cap.. I was mostly trying to find meteorite specimens since they bring good dough....

Never know when you might need a rusted bottle cap.. I was mostly trying to find meteorite specimens since they bring good dough....
I still cringe when I think about the few ā€œrocksā€ I tossed after digging them up.
That was when I was young and not as smart.

I still cringe when I think about the few ā€œrocksā€ I tossed after digging them up.
e too till I got older and found out what a nice price they bring. Not to mention the quartz crystals for the freaks...

e too till I got older and found out what a nice price they bring. Not to mention the quartz crystals for the freaks...
Do you still have your detector?

Not long after getting my first detector, I took it into a wooded area that was part of a state park. I got a few good hits, and stopped because I didnā€™t have permission.
After calling to ask if it was OK to use a metal detector in the park, the ranger said ā€œabsolutely not!ā€. He then went on about preserving the artifacts and thanked me for calling/asking.

That got me thinking about how weā€™re going to preserve history if itā€™s left to rust away.

....Iā€™m now thinking about pulling out an old Garrett Grand Master Hunter lll I havenā€™t used in years.

Prometheus Shrugged

Use the neutrino as a combination Geiger Counter and GPS. We will be able to map all the minerals and hydrocarbon resources below the Earth's surface. Or don't. Because of insults and ingratitude, High IQs owe human parasites nothing.

Prometheus Shrugged

Use the neutrino as a combination Geiger Counter and GPS. We will be able to map all the minerals and hydrocarbon resources below the Earth's surface. Or don't. Because of insults and ingratitude, High IQs owe human parasites nothing.

We can also set the BS aside and talk about the hobby....

If I was starting out. I would get a Whitesā€™s. Total price for detector, pin pointer, a trowel. Probably $450.00-$500.00

I bought one some years ago to locate arrows I'd lost shooting at the target in our back pasture. My arrows had titanium shafts and cost a few bucks, so the ones I recovered paid for the purchase of the metal detector. Still hoping to find a Mason jar full of gold coins from the 1800's.

Forum List

Back