🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa...

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Should the government and military rename these weapons platforms? Are the uses of these names just as insulting to the tribes they represent as the name "Redskins?" One man thinks so:

The U.S. military's ongoing slur of Native Americans - The Washington Post

Resistance to the Washington Redskins team name has ebbed and flowed over the years, but thanks in part to letters from 50 senators to the team’s owner, Dan Snyder, and last week’s decision by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to rescind the team’s trademark registration, the campaign to get rid of it has renewed urgency...

But even if the NFL and Redskins brass come to their senses and rename the team, a greater symbolic injustice would continue to afflict Indians — an injustice perpetuated not by a football club but by our federal government.

In the United States today, the names Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa apply not only to Indian tribes but also to military helicopters. Add in the Black Hawk, named for a leader of the Sauk tribe. Then there is the Tomahawk, a low-altitude missile, and a drone named for an Indian chief, Gray Eagle. Operation Geronimo was the end of Osama bin Laden.

Why do we name our battles and weapons after people we have vanquished? For the same reason the Washington team is the Redskins and my hometown Red Sox go to Cleveland to play the Indians and to Atlanta to play the Braves: because the myth of the worthy native adversary is more palatable than the reality...

Perhaps the senators outraged by the Redskins name could turn their letter-writing pens on the Defense Department next...

So, sure, rename the football team. But don’t stop there.

I get the whole Redskins "controversy," I get the insult some feel from the caricature of Chief Wahoo. The names "Indians" and "Braves," meh, I can't see much reason to be insulted by those, but then I am not descended from the indigenous peoples of this continent. But when does political correctness go too far?

I can't help but think that what Mr. Waxman is saying in his editorial goes too far...

Last edited:
Should the government and military rename these weapons platforms? Are the uses of these names just as insulting to the tribes they represent as the name "Redskins?" One man thinks so:

Resistance to the Washington Redskins team name has ebbed and flowed over the years, but thanks in part to letters from 50 senators to the team’s owner, Dan Snyder, and last week’s decision by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to rescind the team’s trademark registration, the campaign to get rid of it has renewed urgency...

But even if the NFL and Redskins brass come to their senses and rename the team, a greater symbolic injustice would continue to afflict Indians — an injustice perpetuated not by a football club but by our federal government.

In the United States today, the names Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa apply not only to Indian tribes but also to military helicopters. Add in the Black Hawk, named for a leader of the Sauk tribe. Then there is the Tomahawk, a low-altitude missile, and a drone named for an Indian chief, Gray Eagle. Operation Geronimo was the end of Osama bin Laden.

Why do we name our battles and weapons after people we have vanquished? For the same reason the Washington team is the Redskins and my hometown Red Sox go to Cleveland to play the Indians and to Atlanta to play the Braves: because the myth of the worthy native adversary is more palatable than the reality...

Perhaps the senators outraged by the Redskins name could turn their letter-writing pens on the Defense Department next...

I get the whole Redskins "controversy," I get the insult some feel from the caricature of Chief Wahoo. The names "Indians" and "Braves," meh, I can't see much reason to be insulted by those, but then I am not descended from the indigenous peoples of this continent. But when does political correctness go too far?

I can't help but think that what Mr. Waxman is saying in hos editorial goes too far...

Yes, I think this goes to far. Not because I am native american, but because of what the names mean.

The difference between Apache, Comanche, Kiowa ect, and Redskin is like the difference between Kenyan, Ethiopian ect, and ******. One is an accurate description of their origins and one is a slur. While redskin may not carrythe same connotations now, it was still a slur.

I can't help but think that what Mr. Waxman is saying in his editorial goes too far...
How would the world have responded to Hitler naming his killing machines "Jew" and "Gypsy"?

How about the Pink Cloud attack helicopter? I suggest Commanche be replaced by Whipporwill. Chinook can become Rainbow Butterfly.

If we rename military hardware something inoffensive they won't be so scary.

How would the world have responded to Hitler naming his killing machines "Jew" and "Gypsy"?

He was using those killing machines to kill Jews and Gypsies. He wouldn't have named the machines after those he was killing.

While I cannot speak for them, I would assume that American Indians tribes with some of these deadly machines for warriors would be proud to have their name going into battle.

th

th

th

Last edited:

He was using those killing machines to kill Jews and Gypsies. He wouldn't have named the machines after those he was killing.
We name our machines after the victims of US genocide.
Hitler might have gotten that joke:lol:

Back in the day, when people were sane, and men accomplished great things, and men and women grew up to be mature intelligent adults who could kick the asses of tyrants, save whole races from extinction, and travel to the moon, we used to have a saying:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."

Grow some balls or some thicker skin you fucking babies!

I read this article the other day. Simon Waxman works for the Boston Review, a left wing bird cage liner.

I'm practically speechless on this one, I beginning to think that those out there that believe that liberalism is a mental disorder are not far off.

Great, you read the editorial and can quote the author...
Actually, I didn't.
I remembered the Chomsky quote and thought I could get away with stealing it.
:eusa_shifty:

"Noam Chomsky has clarified the moral stakes in provocative, instructive terms: 'We might react differently if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes "Jew" and "Gypsy." '”

The U.S. military?s ongoing slur of Native Americans - The Washington Post

So you think the REASON, the military used these names was to rub it in that the U.S. wiped out entire tribes ?

You seriously want to go with that ?

Great, you read the editorial and can quote the author...
Actually, I didn't.
I remembered the Chomsky quote and thought I could get away with stealing it.
:eusa_shifty:

"Noam Chomsky has clarified the moral stakes in provocative, instructive terms: 'We might react differently if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes "Jew" and "Gypsy." '”

The U.S. military?s ongoing slur of Native Americans - The Washington Post

My bad, you're right. It was Noam. They even said as much in the article. I just woke from a nap...

So you think the REASON, the military used these names was to rub it in that the U.S. wiped out entire tribes ?

You seriously want to go with that ?
I'm not sure what motivates those who kill for money to name their murder machines after victims of genocide; maybe they think it scares the rag-heads?

Idiots.. and how much money is it going to cost the taxpayers to switch the names over.?

geez its going to be so expensive after they do all the studies and focus groups and polls ...

maybe they can create a new government department just for this type of thing, then they can search out other things that need to be re-named.

I guess all this military equipment should be named after white guys like Bradley and Sherman. OK , that would make them happy or would it? Probably they would complain
other ethnic groups lacked representation.

They get most Bad Ass military equipment like the Apache Helicopter named after an indian tribe and their not happy with it? At least when we hear these names It brings the Indian
peoples to our conciousness more so than these Utopians can undrstand, maybe they would prefer we scrub any reference to them from the English language?

How bad were these people picked on in school? didnt anybody give them a hug???/
Damit as Im typing im putting Duct Tape over the words IGLOO on my Igloo Ice Chest!

im sure Eskimos everywhere are outraged.... not to mention folks Throw out all those Eskimo Pies you got in the freezer! Stop feeding the Man!!

How about the Pink Cloud attack helicopter? I suggest Commanche be replaced by Whipporwill. Chinook can become Rainbow Butterfly.

If we rename military hardware something inoffensive they won't be so scary.

Damn I think you are onto something there! I think the Ginger Bread Men would be a much better name for the Redskins by the way. OOOOps!!! just dont give them milk! thell go
soft on the field!

I can't help but think that what Mr. Waxman is saying in hos editorial goes too far...

Yes, I think this goes to far. Not because I am native american, but because of what the names mean.

The difference between Apache, Comanche, Kiowa ect, and Redskin is like the difference between Kenyan, Ethiopian ect, and ******. One is an accurate description of their origins and one is a slur. While redskin may not carrythe same connotations now, it was still a slur.

Yep , I agree and in protest Im going to send Mr Waxman a case of Eskimos Pies in the Mail ( paper not plastic to be environmentally friendly).
I will demand he take care of this problem and have them re-named to Carribou Pies!
I can only hope millions more Americans will do the same .... maybe then! they will understand

Last edited:

Forum List

Back