Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa...

maybe they can create a new government department just for this type of thing, then they can search out other things that need to be re-named.

Hush! Dont' be giving Obama ideas!

As for the name of the department, i can think of one right off the bat:

The Department of Politically Correct Jackasses.

Should the government and military rename these weapons platforms? Are the uses of these names just as insulting to the tribes they represent as the name "Redskins?" One man thinks so:

The U.S. military's ongoing slur of Native Americans - The Washington Post

Resistance to the Washington Redskins team name has ebbed and flowed over the years, but thanks in part to letters from 50 senators to the team’s owner, Dan Snyder, and last week’s decision by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to rescind the team’s trademark registration, the campaign to get rid of it has renewed urgency...

But even if the NFL and Redskins brass come to their senses and rename the team, a greater symbolic injustice would continue to afflict Indians — an injustice perpetuated not by a football club but by our federal government.

In the United States today, the names Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa apply not only to Indian tribes but also to military helicopters. Add in the Black Hawk, named for a leader of the Sauk tribe. Then there is the Tomahawk, a low-altitude missile, and a drone named for an Indian chief, Gray Eagle. Operation Geronimo was the end of Osama bin Laden.

Why do we name our battles and weapons after people we have vanquished? For the same reason the Washington team is the Redskins and my hometown Red Sox go to Cleveland to play the Indians and to Atlanta to play the Braves: because the myth of the worthy native adversary is more palatable than the reality...

Perhaps the senators outraged by the Redskins name could turn their letter-writing pens on the Defense Department next...

So, sure, rename the football team. But don’t stop there.

I get the whole Redskins "controversy," I get the insult some feel from the caricature of Chief Wahoo. The names "Indians" and "Braves," meh, I can't see much reason to be insulted by those, but then I am not descended from the indigenous peoples of this continent. But when does political correctness go too far?

I can't help but think that what Mr. Waxman is saying in his editorial goes too far...

I should have a talk with our school district. Seems to me, maybe we shouldn't be naming our junior highs with names like Sacajawea, Lakota, etc. Worse, the teams are called warriors, etc. Maybe we should just wipe all mention of the Indians from our society?

The eponyms were a show of respect for the fierceness of those tribes in battle. But I have little native blood, they told me my grandmother was 1/4 Navajo. It's up to the People themselves to determine what is insulting and what isn't.

The liberal PC police want to replace the Indian names of U.S. military weapons with LGBTQ heros.

The Harvey Milk main battle tank, the Ru Paul attack helicopter, the Richard Simmons 30mm cannon, or the Ellen Degeneres rocker launcher, etc.

Ya know.......names that will strike fear in the heart of the enemy!! ... :cuckoo: :lol:

The US Navy currently has ships named after Native Americans and tribes.
See U.S. NAVY SHIPS NAMED FOR Native Americans

USNS Red Cloud (T-AKR-313), one of Military Sealift Command's Large, Medium-Speed Roll-on/Roll-off Ships, is named after Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud, Jr., U.S. Army.
Corporal Red Cloud was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in Chonghyon, Korea, 5 November 1950.
<
USNS Sacagawea (T-AKE-2), one of the Military Sealift Command's Dry Cargo/Ammunition Ships, is named after the lead interpreter and guide for the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Named after Indian tribes, USNS Catawba (T-ATF 168), USNS Navajo (T-ATF 169), USNS Sioux (T-ATF 171), USNS Apache (T-ATF 172) are the Military Sealift Command's Fleet Ocean Tugs which provide towing, diving platform and other services to the Navy's numbered fleets.
Political correctness aside, it seems rather goofy for the Navy to have named ocean going tugboats after Native American tribes. ;-)

Last edited:
We have a nunber of towns in NY that have an Indian name.How long before Libs start bitchin
about that..

http://longislandgenealogy.com/Indian_Place_Names.pdf

Perhaps the libs somehow feel that by expunging all things named for Native tribes, leaders, etc, they can also expunge the guilt they have been told to feel for what "white" men allegedly did to those peoples? If we don't mention them, maybe we can forget all about them?

We name our machines after the victims of US genocide.
Hitler might have gotten that joke:lol:

So you think the REASON, the military used these names was to rub it in that the U.S. wiped out entire tribes ?

You seriously want to go with that ?
I'm not sure what motivates those who kill for money to name their murder machines after victims of genocide; maybe they think it scares the rag-heads?

"Rag-heads"? And you're pissing that someone naming weapons platforms after re-known warriors is somehow biased or racist? I'll bet you call people you disagree with "fags", too, don't you?

Should the government and military rename these weapons platforms? Are the uses of these names just as insulting to the tribes they represent as the name "Redskins?" One man thinks so:

Resistance to the Washington Redskins team name has ebbed and flowed over the years, but thanks in part to letters from 50 senators to the team’s owner, Dan Snyder, and last week’s decision by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to rescind the team’s trademark registration, the campaign to get rid of it has renewed urgency...

But even if the NFL and Redskins brass come to their senses and rename the team, a greater symbolic injustice would continue to afflict Indians — an injustice perpetuated not by a football club but by our federal government.

In the United States today, the names Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa apply not only to Indian tribes but also to military helicopters. Add in the Black Hawk, named for a leader of the Sauk tribe. Then there is the Tomahawk, a low-altitude missile, and a drone named for an Indian chief, Gray Eagle. Operation Geronimo was the end of Osama bin Laden.

Why do we name our battles and weapons after people we have vanquished? For the same reason the Washington team is the Redskins and my hometown Red Sox go to Cleveland to play the Indians and to Atlanta to play the Braves: because the myth of the worthy native adversary is more palatable than the reality...

Perhaps the senators outraged by the Redskins name could turn their letter-writing pens on the Defense Department next...

I get the whole Redskins "controversy," I get the insult some feel from the caricature of Chief Wahoo. The names "Indians" and "Braves," meh, I can't see much reason to be insulted by those, but then I am not descended from the indigenous peoples of this continent. But when does political correctness go too far?

I can't help but think that what Mr. Waxman is saying in his editorial goes too far...

Idiots.. and how much money is it going to cost the taxpayers to switch the names over.?

geez its going to be so expensive after they do all the studies and focus groups and polls ...

maybe they can create a new government department just for this type of thing, then they can search out other things that need to be re-named.

I guess all this military equipment should be named after white guys like Bradley and Sherman. OK , that would make them happy or would it? Probably they would complain
other ethnic groups lacked representation.

They get most Bad Ass military equipment like the Apache Helicopter named after an indian tribe and their not happy with it? At least when we hear these names It brings the Indian
peoples to our conciousness more so than these Utopians can undrstand, maybe they would prefer we scrub any reference to them from the English language?

How bad were these people picked on in school? didnt anybody give them a hug???/
Damit as Im typing im putting Duct Tape over the words IGLOO on my Igloo Ice Chest!

im sure Eskimos everywhere are outraged.... not to mention folks Throw out all those Eskimo Pies you got in the freezer! Stop feeding the Man!!

Better tread lightly...word's out that the younger generation of Alaskan Natives are beginning to resent being called "eskimo".

The liberal PC police want to replace the Indian names of U.S. military weapons with LGBTQ heros.

The Harvey Milk main battle tank, the Ru Paul attack helicopter, the Richard Simmons 30mm cannon, or the Ellen Degeneres rocker launcher, etc.

Ya know.......names that will strike fear in the heart of the enemy!! ... :cuckoo: :lol:

You really think Ellen Degeneres could launch anybody's rockets?

Idiots.. and how much money is it going to cost the taxpayers to switch the names over.?

geez its going to be so expensive after they do all the studies and focus groups and polls ...

I guess all this military equipment should be named after white guys like Bradley and Sherman. OK , that would make them happy or would it? Probably they would complain
other ethnic groups lacked representation.

They get most Bad Ass military equipment like the Apache Helicopter named after an indian tribe and their not happy with it? At least when we hear these names It brings the Indian
peoples to our conciousness more so than these Utopians can undrstand, maybe they would prefer we scrub any reference to them from the English language?

How bad were these people picked on in school? didnt anybody give them a hug???/
Damit as Im typing im putting Duct Tape over the words IGLOO on my Igloo Ice Chest!

im sure Eskimos everywhere are outraged.... not to mention folks Throw out all those Eskimo Pies you got in the freezer! Stop feeding the Man!!

More than likely though, like the other "controversies" like this, it's mostly only white liberals who are "offended".

Hush! Dont' be giving Obama ideas!

As for the name of the department, i can think of one right off the bat:

The Department of Politically Correct Jackasses.

Or "The Dept of Sensitivity".
The Secretary of Sensitivity would forever be held by a white liberal, even if a Republican were in the White House. No conservative, or real Republican would want any part of the position.

The US Navy currently has ships named after Native Americans and tribes.
See U.S. NAVY SHIPS NAMED FOR Native Americans

USNS Red Cloud (T-AKR-313), one of Military Sealift Command's Large, Medium-Speed Roll-on/Roll-off Ships, is named after Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud, Jr., U.S. Army.
Corporal Red Cloud was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in Chonghyon, Korea, 5 November 1950.
<
USNS Sacagawea (T-AKE-2), one of the Military Sealift Command's Dry Cargo/Ammunition Ships, is named after the lead interpreter and guide for the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Named after Indian tribes, USNS Catawba (T-ATF 168), USNS Navajo (T-ATF 169), USNS Sioux (T-ATF 171), USNS Apache (T-ATF 172) are the Military Sealift Command's Fleet Ocean Tugs which provide towing, diving platform and other services to the Navy's numbered fleets.
Political correctness aside, it seems rather goofy for the Navy to have named ocean going tugboats after Native American tribes. ;-)

That goes to at least WW2...there was a class of 20+ all named for tribes.

Lol !! :lol:

I like the Ru Paul attack helicopter. It's a "stealth" chopper.

Last edited:

You make a terrific point.

Forum List

Back