apparently....hypocrisy abounds: liberals whine about bush speech

he did go national!

Well, not really. Bush hoped it would go national, but there were few schools who broadcast it, let alone required it to be shown to the students.
I remember watching it in school. And in the Dare program we had to watch addresses both by Reagan and Bush.

Right. There were a few schools who showed it.

I actually think the Dare program has merit. Regardless, as everyone here knows, my kids go to private schools. What happens in the public schools is interesting, but it's not really personal to me.

Simply amazing. Bush speaks to kids and it is political, Obama speaks to them and it is for the good of the Children.

Remind us Liberals, did Bush have the Department of Education put out talking points of a political nature for the Teachers to get the kids to consider the President and his words in some special way?

Funding of Bush Speech Draws Fire; Democrat Calls Education Broadcast `Paid Political Advertising'
The Washington Post | October 3, 1991| Kenneth J. Cooper; Eric Pianin

House Democrats criticized President Bush yesterday for using Education Department funds to produce and broadcast a speech that he made Tuesday at a Northwest Washington junior high school.

The Democratic critics accused Bush of turning government money for education to his own political use, namely, an ongoing effort to inoculate himself against their charges of inattention to domestic issues. The speech at Alice Deal Junior High School, broadcast live on radio and television, urged students to study hard, avoid drugs and turn in troublemakers.

Yes they did. They said it was using government $$$ for political purposes...that is certainly debatable back then AND now.

But did they try to get people to keep their children home from school in fear of being brainwashed?
Did they compare him to Hitler recruiting Hitler Youth? Or the ChiCom?

i see....so all the conservatives have to do is add the complain about $$ and then it is legit.....

No, that's not what I meant at all. I am saying that I think it might b a legitimate complaint about government $$$ IF he is making political hay with this speech. So far, that has not happened, but if it does, a legitimate complaint is in order.

Who am I to argue when you recognise your own.

the topic was really about using the bullypulpit as a political propaganda machine.....do you really think obama has spent ZERO government dollars on this? give me a fucking break.....

And I didn't say he hadn't. Not even close. Game Over, Try Again.

You can critize a President but you don't bring a gun to an event he is speaking at, you don't call for his assasination and you don't talk about getting tags for a President.

nobody did bring a gun. otherwise they would have been arrested. and I don't know of anybody who called for his assassination or tags? who did that?

Have you ever seen me call him Hitler?
I think you might want to read the part where I said it is alright to critize Obama.
Did you ever see me say I would pull my child out of classroom because he was giving a speech?
or have you ever seen me call him a fascist dictator?

I would be fine with an encouraging speech. But lesson plans for the teachers is a bit much. Now I know almost every single liberal to a T on this board refuses to read conservative ideas or watch conservative TV. Now I don't think it's unreasonable for conservative parents to shield their children from radical left ideas either. goose and gander sorta stuff right there.

You can critize a President but you don't bring a gun to an event he is speaking at, you don't call for his assasination and you don't talk about getting tags for a President.

nobody did bring a gun. otherwise they would have been arrested. and I don't know of anybody who called for his assassination or tags? who did that?
they brought guns outside of a rally in arizone a couple of weeks ago.
a governor candidate from Idaho made the comment about the tags after a women in the audience said something, and children from Rexburg Idaho the same town were this candidate was from called for his assasination on the bus to school around the time obama was elected.

Simply amazing. Bush speaks to kids and it is political, Obama speaks to them and it is for the good of the Children.

I don't remember many people complaining when Bush talked to children....In fact, I don't remember it at all, so it didn't make much of an impression one way or another. AND I WILL SAY, it didn't seem to make much of an impression with most of YOU either...LOL

But, I will be glad to go to bat for you if you can show Liberals doing the following back then:

- calling for children to stay home from school because of the danger of 'indoctrination'
- calling Bush a Nazi, ChiCom, Marxist, etc. trying to turn our children into little Hitler Youth
-accusing Bush of trying to get our children to "obey" him rather than the country.

Remind us Liberals, did Bush have the Department of Education put out talking points of a political nature for the Teachers to get the kids to consider the President and his words in some special way?

You can thank NCLB for that stuff. No school curriculum is allowed to be without some pre-activity, during activity, and post-activity...er...activity any more.

But, go ahead and link the materials. I've seen the real deal...let's compare.

the point is we didn't pull our kids out of school when he made his speech.

Sorry, all you who think no one did to Bush what is now being done to Obama is not paying attention:
Legos 9-11 | Flash Videos

There are millions of such animations and videos online for Bush, if you think we will leave Obama alone just because you like him, fuck the hell off. ;)

The Koder has spoken!

Have you ever seen me call him Hitler?
I think you might want to read the part where I said it is alright to critize Obama.
Did you ever see me say I would pull my child out of classroom because he was giving a speech?
or have you ever seen me call him a fascist dictator?

I would be fine with an encouraging speech. But lesson plans for the teachers is a bit much. Now I know almost every single liberal to a T on this board refuses to read conservative ideas or watch conservative TV. Now I don't think it's unreasonable for conservative parents to shield their children from radical left ideas either. goose and gander sorta stuff right there.

You can thank NCLB and the current policy of "If you can't count it, it doesn't count" in state depts of ed all over the country.

Yes they did. They said it was using government $$$ for political purposes...that is certainly debatable back then AND now.

But did they try to get people to keep their children home from school in fear of being brainwashed?
Did they compare him to Hitler recruiting Hitler Youth? Or the ChiCom?

i see....so all the conservatives have to do is add the complain about $$ and then it is legit.....

No, that's not what I meant at all. I am saying that I think it might b a legitimate complaint about government $$$ IF he is making political hay with this speech. So far, that has not happened, but if it does, a legitimate complaint is in order.

the topic was really about using the bullypulpit as a political propaganda machine.....do you really think obama has spent ZERO government dollars on this? give me a fucking break.....

The lesson plans distributed to the schools at Government expense across the entire Country are political. And that not the speech is what we are complaining about.

Sorry, all you who think no one did to Bush what is now being done to Obama is not paying attention:

There are millions of such animations and videos online for Bush, if you think we will leave Obama alone just because you like him, fuck the hell off. ;)

The Koder has spoken!

I don't think anyone here says you should leave Obama alone. I'm sure you can be an adult and stop making silly shit up tho.

Well, not really. Bush hoped it would go national, but there were few schools who broadcast it, let alone required it to be shown to the students.
I remember watching it in school. And in the Dare program we had to watch addresses both by Reagan and Bush.

I actually think the Dare program has merit. Regardless, as everyone here knows, my kids go to private schools. What happens in the public schools is interesting, but it's not really personal to me.
there is a reason they pulled the Dare program out of the schools here. From someone who went through it, all it did was teach you about drugs that you had no clue existed and how to do them.
I remember they picked three people to read their essays at our Dare graduation, two of those people I bought pot from in high school. I am not saying you should not educate your children about the dangers of drugs but gimmicks don't work, trust me.
Any time I see a ad against Pot smoking I just laugh and think I have done that and man a bowl would be good right about now.

The Koder has spoken!

I don't think anyone here says you should leave Obama alone. I'm sure you can be an adult and stop making silly shit up tho.

You mean like Bush lied people died? Or the claim Bush said Saddam was linked to 9/11? How about the one where Bush supposedly said Iraq was an imminent danger? Any of THOSE ring a bell?

The lesson plans distributed to the schools at Government expense across the entire Country are political. And that not the speech is what we are complaining about.

they are not political, they are on discussing the importance of education.

there is a reason they pulled the Dare program out of the schools here. From someone who went through it, all it did was teach you about drugs that you had no clue existed and how to do them.
I remember they picked three people to read their essays at our Dare graduation, two of those people I bought pot from in high school. I am not saying you should not educate your children about the dangers of drugs but gimmicks don't work, trust me.
Any time I see a ad against Pot smoking I just laugh and think I have done that and man a bowl would be good right about now.

You made me :lol:

they are not political, they are on discussing the importance of education.

No they are not, they specifically Lionize and hero worship the President, A neutral discussion would not mention him at ALL. But rather the supposed message of the speech.

What is political about the lesson plans? I am interested in finding out what you consider political.

BTW, the lesson plans are available for all to down load but here they are:

Before speech:

Grades 7-12 Menu of Classroom Activities: President Obama’s Address to Students Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education
September 8, 2009

Before the Speech:
• Quick Write or Think/Pair/Share (Students spend a few minutes Thinking and writing about the question; Paired with another student to discuss, then Sharing their ideas with the class as a whole). What do we associate with the words responsibility, persistence, and goals? How would we define each term? A teacher might create a web of student ideas for each of the words.
• Quick Write or Brainstorm: What are your strengths? At what are you successful as a person/student? What makes you successful at these efforts? List at least three things you are successful at and why you feel successful with these tasks.
• Short readings. Notable quotes excerpted (and posted in large print on board) from President Obama’s speeches about education. Teacher might ask students to think alone, compare ideas with a partner, and share their collaborations with the class (Think/Pair/Share) about the following: What are our interpretations of these excerpts? Based on these excerpts, what can we infer the President believes is important to be successful educationally?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us? How will he challenge us? What might he say?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: What other historic moments do you remember when the President spoke to the nation? What was the impact? Students could create a Cause/Effect graphic organizer.

During the Speech:
• Listening with a purpose: personal responsibility, goals, persistence. Teachers might ask pairs of students to create a word bank from the web of any one of the terms (personal responsibility, goals, or persistence) at the top of a double-column style notes page. On the right-hand side, students could take notes while President Obama talks about personal responsibility, or goals, or persistence, trying to capture direct quotations. At the end of the speech, students could then write the corresponding terms from the word bank in the left hand column, to increase retention and deepen their understanding of an important aspect of the speech.
• Listening with a purpose: Inspiration and Challenges. Using a similar double-column style notes page as the one above, the teacher could focus students on quotations that either propose a specific challenge to them or inspire them in some meaningful way. Students could do this individually, in pairs or groups.

Transition/Quick Review: Teachers could ask students to look over the notes and collaborate in pairs or small groups. What more could we add to our notes? Teachers might circulate and ask students questions such as: What are the most important words in the speech? What title would you give it? What’s the thesis?

After the Speech:
Guided Discussion:
• What resonated with you from President Obama’s speech? What lines/phrases do you remember?
• Who is President Obama addressing? How do you know? Describe his audience.
• We heard President Obama mention the importance of personal responsibility. In your life, who exemplifies this kind of personal responsibility? How? Give examples.
• How are we as individuals and as a class similar? Different?
• Suppose President Obama were to give another speech about being educationally successful. Who could he speak to next? Who should be his next audience? Why? What would he say?
• What are the three most important words in the speech? Rank them. What title would you give this speech? What’s the thesis?
• What is President Obama inspiring you to do? What is he challenging you to do?
• What do you believe are the challenges of your generation?
• How can you be a part of addressing these challenges?
Video Project:
• Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What I Learn” video contest. On September 8th the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via U.S. Department of Education Home Page.

they brought guns outside of a rally in arizone a couple of weeks ago.not close enough to do him harm otherwise they would have been arrested.
a governor candidate from Idaho made the comment about the tags after a women in the audience said something, and children from Rexburg Idaho the same town were this candidate was from called for his assasination on the bus to school around the time obama was elected.
both of those statements were wrong.

So, can someone point out the political propaganda in that lesson plan?

Forum List

Back