Are Credit Card Companies Working to Censor Conservatives?

Were the design phases of these transactions even reached? From my understanding the transactions were terminated when the bakers found out that the cake was for a same-sex wedding. Either way I support their right to refuse to have their business associated with something they would rather not.
So you really can't see the difference between an individual making an individual judgement, and a big company being strongarmed by a vocal minority?...Really?

The free market will decide if those business acts should be rewarded or not. Hopefully the gobmint will get involved and make everything better. :lol:
Pissy SJW mobs aren't the free market, Bubba.

How odd.

It mentions far right activists and anti-Islam activists without realizing that Islam is the most extreme right wing ideology on the planet.

What could possibly be more far right than a totalitarian, supremacist ideology seeking to force the world to conserve the cultural values of 7th century troglodytes?
Muzzy totalitarianism is another flavor of leftist conformity...Anarchy is on the far right.

political-spectrum-true.jpg

my theory is the left is far from consistent. i *do* fall in line with if you don't like the business, use something else. but a vast majority on the left do in fact turn this into a motive ONLY they can benefit from. YOU MUST BAKE THE CAKE or WE DON'T HAVE TO MAKE MELAINA THAT DRESS!

the contradiction isn't lost on me.

in the cake case, there were 50 bakers in the area to choose from. how many credit cards do you have in your wallet to choose from to send funds to someone?

granted, same premise but not the same in practice. there comes a time the gov will get in the way because of the "contradictions". microsoft for example was forced into a lot of stupid business practices cause of the complaints. right or wrong it happens.

it will happen here.

My theory is very few people on this issue are consistent. For instance: We don't have to bake the cake, but you must give me a credit card and/or PayPal account. Either businesses have a right to associate or they don't. Besides, there are plenty of credit card companies one can choose from.
MC
Visa
Discover
AMEX

who else?

How odd.

It mentions far right activists and anti-Islam activists without realizing that Islam is the most extreme right wing ideology on the planet.

What could possibly be more far right than a totalitarian, supremacist ideology seeking to force the world to conserve the cultural values of 7th century troglodytes?
Muzzy totalitarianism is another flavor of leftist conformity...Anarchy is on the far right.

View attachment 258995

You so silly!

could be a few doing it and it dies quickly. but it's troublesome to a degree people think this is ok. i don't agree with you so you must suffer. sad mentality many have fallen into these days.

ANYWAY -

Mastercard Has Been Forced By Activists To Hold A Shareholder Vote That Could Cut Off Payments To The Far-Right

"Activists have successfully forced Mastercard to hold a vote by shareholders on a proposal which, if passed, could see the company monitoring payments to global far-right political leaders and white supremacist groups.

The proposal aims to see Mastercard establish an internal “human rights committee” that would stop designated white supremacist groups and anti-Islam activists, such as Tommy Robinson, from getting access to money sent from donors using the company’s card payment services.

It’s been conceived by US-based political activists SumOfUs, who want to escalate the battle against white supremacists and far-right groups from tech platforms like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Patreon, and PayPal to one of the biggest companies in world finance, in an attempt to choke off donations."

-----
we revert back to, why is it the lefts job to determine who gets classified where and then force companies to hold votes on whether or not they should go along with their "suggested" actions?

the headline i just realized isn't "dead on" - if it can be corrected to be the headline of the story i'd appreciate it.
It is up to the shareholders, of course, but I'd be glad to see them do that. If we had been able to do some more of this when Hitler and Mussolini, et al, were rising to power, the 20th century might have been a little less evil.
trouble is - defining that isn't easy but *is* easily abused.

look around today at the times people are called NAZIs because they are not liberal. the potential for abuse far outweighs to me, the potential to stop evil. defining "evil" is hit or miss and usually emotionally based these days.

could be a few doing it and it dies quickly. but it's troublesome to a degree people think this is ok. i don't agree with you so you must suffer. sad mentality many have fallen into these days.

ANYWAY -

Mastercard Has Been Forced By Activists To Hold A Shareholder Vote That Could Cut Off Payments To The Far-Right

"Activists have successfully forced Mastercard to hold a vote by shareholders on a proposal which, if passed, could see the company monitoring payments to global far-right political leaders and white supremacist groups.

The proposal aims to see Mastercard establish an internal “human rights committee” that would stop designated white supremacist groups and anti-Islam activists, such as Tommy Robinson, from getting access to money sent from donors using the company’s card payment services.

It’s been conceived by US-based political activists SumOfUs, who want to escalate the battle against white supremacists and far-right groups from tech platforms like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Patreon, and PayPal to one of the biggest companies in world finance, in an attempt to choke off donations."

-----
we revert back to, why is it the lefts job to determine who gets classified where and then force companies to hold votes on whether or not they should go along with their "suggested" actions?

the headline i just realized isn't "dead on" - if it can be corrected to be the headline of the story i'd appreciate it.
It is up to the shareholders, of course, but I'd be glad to see them do that. If we had been able to do some more of this when Hitler and Mussolini, et al, were rising to power, the 20th century might have been a little less evil.

look around today at the times people are called NAZIs because they are not liberal. the potential for abuse far outweighs to me, the potential to stop evil. defining "evil" is hit or miss and usually emotionally based these days.

If you're ever in doubt, just ask the experts on what opinions are acceptable and which should never be allowed:
antifa1.jpg

ANYWAY -

-----

Well, fortunately, USMB'ers are not being asked to clarify MC's policy. Obviously, we are not the group to ask. LOL

Were the design phases of these transactions even reached? From my understanding the transactions were terminated when the bakers found out that the cake was for a same-sex wedding. Either way I support their right to refuse to have their business associated with something they would rather not.
So you really can't see the difference between an individual making an individual judgement, and a big company being strongarmed by a vocal minority?...Really?

The free market will decide if those business acts should be rewarded or not. Hopefully the gobmint will get involved and make everything better. :lol:

No, but voting with your wallet is. Cancel your account with MasterCard in protest and let them know why. Shareholders and the Board of Directors will take notice if accounts/profits drops.

ANYWAY -

-----

Yes they are.

ANYWAY -

-----

Well, fortunately, USMB'ers are not being asked to clarify MC's policy. Obviously, we are not the group to ask. LOL
hard to say what is going on until the vote i suppose. i just hope they vote "go away". we're out of control on what we do to each other for ultimately simply disagreeing on things.

No, but voting with your wallet is. Cancel your account with MasterCard in protest and let them know why. Shareholders and the Board of Directors will take notice if accounts/profits drops.
you're going to be hard pressed to do standard business however w/o one. if VISA follows suit now what?

again - before we start throwing people out and making silly demands / decisions, lets see how this finishes up.

my theory is the left is far from consistent. i *do* fall in line with if you don't like the business, use something else. but a vast majority on the left do in fact turn this into a motive ONLY they can benefit from. YOU MUST BAKE THE CAKE or WE DON'T HAVE TO MAKE MELAINA THAT DRESS!

in the cake case, there were 50 bakers in the area to choose from. how many credit cards do you have in your wallet to choose from to send funds to someone?

granted, same premise but not the same in practice. there comes a time the gov will get in the way because of the "contradictions". microsoft for example was forced into a lot of stupid business practices cause of the complaints. right or wrong it happens.

it will happen here.

My theory is very few people on this issue are consistent. For instance: We don't have to bake the cake, but you must give me a credit card and/or PayPal account. Either businesses have a right to associate or they don't. Besides, there are plenty of credit card companies one can choose from.
MC
Visa
Discover
AMEX

who else?

Here is a nice list of options:

List of Credit Card Companies, Card Networks & Major Cards

Then, let's say Visa gets cowed by the mob...They never ever quit...Ever try to rent a car or make a hotel reservation without a major credit card?

you're going to be hard pressed to do standard business however w/o one. if VISA follows suit now what?

again - before we start throwing people out and making silly demands / decisions, lets see how this finishes up.

That’s for Visa and its shareholders to decide.

except who is the "real" nazi?
That would be the actual Nazi, espouaimg white supremacist views and Nazi tenets. Kind of a dumb question there.

Here is a better question for you:

How is this censorship?
censorship may not be the right word. but if you remove their ability to collect funds for their causes, are you not in effect, censoring them?

and no it's not a dumb question at all. do you need a list of examples of the left calling anyone and everyone they don't like NAZI? 99.9% of them don't even know the meaning of the word nor it's history, they just know the association with evil and use it like a wide paint brush.

if you want to talk i'm down. i love hearing other points of view. but this "your thoughts are stupid' is a game i'm just not going to play.
No, you are not....

There are other free market solutions that white supremacists can rely on to raise money -- MasterCard is not the only way...

Or do you not trust in the free market?

it will happen here.

MC
Visa
Discover
AMEX

who else?

Here is a nice list of options:

List of Credit Card Companies, Card Networks & Major Cards
and most of those fall under MC or Visa.

i have no idea - can a banks VISA / MC card allow transactions VISA/MC don't? from what i've read, it would be "no" - so if that is the case, we're back to my original list.

Then, let's say Visa gets cowed by the mob...They never ever quit...Ever try to rent a car or make a hotel reservation without a major credit card?

I am sure another credit card company would love to gobble up that market share. Hotels and other rentals will adjust accordingly. Again, at the end of the day you don’t have a right to either a credit card or PayPal account.

That’s for Visa and its shareholders to decide.
you keep going around my point to drop snark it seems.

MC/VISA are the top dogs. Bobs MC for example can't allow payments MC says NO to can they?

lets just stop there.

ANYWAY -

-----

hard to say what is going on until the vote i suppose. i just hope they vote "go away". we're out of control on what we do to each other for ultimately simply disagreeing on things.
The free market is getting into "economic sanctions," in a way. Investment firms getting rid of its investments in firearms manufacturers, for instance, or department store chains deciding not to sell AR's anymore. Like I said, discouraging hate groups is a good thing.

Forum List

Back