Are Nukes Good?

I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb. Its production and its use were not lightly undertaken by this Government. But we knew that our enemies were on the search for it. We know now how close they were to finding it. And we knew the disaster, which would come to this Nation, and to all peace-loving nations, to all civilization, if they had found it first. That is why we felt compelled to undertake the long and uncertain and costly labor of discovery and production.**

We won the race of discovery against the Germans. Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans.

First of all neither Germany or Japan were ever close to producing an atomic bomb. They were both working on it but Japan was light years away and of no significance. Germany was putting moderate resources to it but thanks to the British raids on Telemark, Norway, where the Germans had a heavy water production plant, the Germans also had no chance. After the war the allies found Germany only had a few hundred gallons of heavy water in stock when more than 10,000 gallons is needed.

The dropping of the atomic bomb did shorten the war and saved not only hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers but also millions of Japanese soldiers and civilians. It was a hideous weapon but its use did save lives in the long run. The Japanese government, even AFTER the two atomic bombs were dropped, was deadlocked on whether to surrender. The military wanted to fight to the death. The emperor broke the deadlock and voted to surrender.

Lastly, imagine if the bomb hadn't been used and its utterly devastating effect never shown in plain sight to the world. It would have made use of the atomic bomb, and much worse the hydrogen bomb, more of a possibility in all the years after World War 2 because there would have been no stark video images of the reality of the misery created when these weapons are used.

The dropping of those two bombs was as hideous as anything in human history but even as ugly as it was it likely prevented a holocaust of immeasurable proportions.

And obama wants the worst exporter of terrorism in the world to have them.....

Jesus H Christ you people and your big lies, you just can't contain yourselves.

Conservatives have no idea how to contain Iran. None. You voted dumbshit Bush into office twice and he and his cronies did NOTHING for 8 years. THEY are the reason Iran is months away from producing a bomb in the first place.

I know conservatism isn't into, you know, thinking! But you'd think SOMETHING would seep into that colostomy bag of hatred that swirls around in your head.

the country that needed to be nuked...

What a stupid fucking thing to say. There is plenty to debate and discuss regarding the decision to use the atomic bomb, but trying to pass off a comment like that as some kind of 'given' is just fucking stupid. It marks you as a witless clod incapable of really considering the issue at hand.

It was meaningful that there was not a single word of regret on the occasion of the 70th Hiroshima anniversary.

Yes....they stopped the war.....that is all that needs to be said...since Japan started the war and were monsters that needed to be stopped...just ask anyone under their occupation......

Were innocent women and children "monsters"?

I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb. Its production and its use were not lightly undertaken by this Government. But we knew that our enemies were on the search for it. We know now how close they were to finding it. And we knew the disaster, which would come to this Nation, and to all peace-loving nations, to all civilization, if they had found it first. That is why we felt compelled to undertake the long and uncertain and costly labor of discovery and production.**

We won the race of discovery against the Germans. Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans.

First of all neither Germany or Japan were ever close to producing an atomic bomb. They were both working on it but Japan was light years away and of no significance. Germany was putting moderate resources to it but thanks to the British raids on Telemark, Norway, where the Germans had a heavy water production plant, the Germans also had no chance. After the war the allies found Germany only had a few hundred gallons of heavy water in stock when more than 10,000 gallons is needed.

The dropping of the atomic bomb did shorten the war and saved not only hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers but also millions of Japanese soldiers and civilians. It was a hideous weapon but its use did save lives in the long run. The Japanese government, even AFTER the two atomic bombs were dropped, was deadlocked on whether to surrender. The military wanted to fight to the death. The emperor broke the deadlock and voted to surrender.

Lastly, imagine if the bomb hadn't been used and its utterly devastating effect never shown in plain sight to the world. It would have made use of the atomic bomb, and much worse the hydrogen bomb, more of a possibility in all the years after World War 2 because there would have been no stark video images of the reality of the misery created when these weapons are used.

The dropping of those two bombs was as hideous as anything in human history but even as ugly as it was it likely prevented a holocaust of immeasurable proportions.

And obama wants the worst exporter of terrorism in the world to have them.....

I'm gonna put it out there. Iran's not as bad as the GOP says. They are our enemy but like Japan and Germany we can make them our alleys.

What's one thing we don't do? We don't invade countries with nukes. Iran's not gonna blow themselves up by messing with Israel.

After we invaded Iraq can you blame them for wanting one?

I wish Pakistan and n. Korea didn't have them either.

I don't WANT Iran to have one but whatcha gonna do? Isreals problem.

the country that needed to be nuked...

What a stupid fucking thing to say. There is plenty to debate and discuss regarding the decision to use the atomic bomb, but trying to pass off a comment like that as some kind of 'given' is just fucking stupid. It marks you as a witless clod incapable of really considering the issue at hand.
Everyone here but you believes it was a necessary evil and because of it probably saved lives on both sides had we had to invade or bomb Tokyo.

You're probably an expert tell us.

It was meaningful that there was not a single word of regret on the occasion of the 70th Hiroshima anniversary.

Yes....they stopped the war.....that is all that needs to be said...since Japan started the war and were monsters that needed to be stopped...just ask anyone under their occupation......

Little Eichmanns
:poop:

no problem with nukes for me , my Dad and Uncles didn't have to invade 'japan' because of nukes. NUKES will be a problem in the future for the younger generations just coming up after 'iran' gets them .

Mine too.:beer:

Nukes during the Cold War worked as a deterrent for USSR and USA.

But today if nukes fall in the hands of Iran, well, that wil be another more dangerous story!

:dunno:

The USA was a status quo power during the Cold War.

What were we deterred from? Staying the same?

Little Eichmanns
I think the term refers to either German citizens or enemies of the Germans. I like to think it is a term for Germans who allowed the Nazis to take over. Guilty just for being a member of that society.

Republicans got offended with the term when a liberal professor called Americans that after 9-11. Still too soon?

Little Eichmanns
I think the term refers to either German citizens or enemies of the Germans. I like to think it is a term for Germans who allowed the Nazis to take over. Guilty just for being a member of that society.

Republicans got offended with the term when a liberal professor called Americans that after 9-11. Still too soon?
Excuse me? What term?

. Guilty just for being a member of that society....

Just like how the nazis viewed Jewish people.
Not what the term means. At least I don't think so. A little Eichmann would be like someone who died on 9-11. No one who died was innocent because they were a member of the evil American empire. That's how the terrorists saw it. Or how Tim McVeigh saw it when he did the okc bombing.

Little Eichmanns

Excuse me? What term?
Little eichmann

Not what the term means. ....

That's what it comes down to. Congratulations for thinking like nazis and Islamic extremist terrorists who want to kill innocent Americans.
To be a good detective you have to be able to think like the criminal. Even if you disagree with the terrorists, which I do, you have to be able to see what could possibly make them want to fly planes into our buildings.

Funny thing is I understand more the Arabs complaints than I do the japs. What did we do to deserve pearl harbor?

Not what the term means. ....

That's what it comes down to. Congratulations for thinking like nazis and Islamic extremist terrorists who want to kill innocent Americans.
To be a good detective you have to be able to think like the criminal. ...

You're trying to convince yourself that it's OK you're such a scumbag. You're not convincing anyone else.

Little Eichmanns

Excuse me? What term?
Little eichmann
I don´t think it´s a term. Maybe it is just Bobo´s favorite insult.

Nukes during the Cold War worked as a deterrent for USSR and USA.

But today if nukes fall in the hands of Iran, well, that wil be another more dangerous story!

:dunno:

Not even close.

We negotiated with the Soviet Union who had 5,000 thermo-nuclear weapons already targeted at our major cities for decades that were on the tip of intercontinental ballistic missiles that could reach anywhere on Earth.

Iran will never be a threat to the U.S. If anyone attacks Israel and it looks like Israel won't be able to handle it we'd have a hundred thousand troops there in a week.

The threat of ANY new country getting an 'atomic' weapon is troublesome simply because the more there are the more likely one will find its way into the wrong hands. But if any nation on Earth is willing to sell these weapons to the wrong people it is the North Koreans and even they understand that if such a weapon were used against the U.S. we wouldn't hesitate to wreak destruction on them, regardless of what China said.

And we need to clarify between atomic weapons and thermo-nuclear weapons.

Atomic weapons, like the two dropped on Japan during WW2, had a yield between 10-20 kilotons. Or 10,000 to 20,000 tons of TNT. An average thermo-nuclear bomb has a yield of 3,500 kilotons or 3,500,000 tons of TNT. 1000 times the destructive power of an atomic weapon.

The bombs North Korea tested were 2-12 kilotons. Atomic weapons. Technology to go to a thermo-nuclear device is far more complex and they likely won't reach that stage for a very long time. The same if Iran ever achieved an atomic weapon. Atomic weapons are bad enough but perspective is what is needed.

How cowardly the Republicans look to the rest of the world as they are terrified of a tiny country that has no atomic (let alone nuclear) weapons or missiles to deliver them. The same country that stared down the Soviet Union who had enough thermo-nuclear weapons to irradiate all of North America for the next 25,000 years so nothing could live here.

WTF has happened to Republicans. They have turned into a party of cowards.

Forum List

Back