Are There Any VIOLIN Players In Here?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I have some questions to ask violin players, that only you as a violin (or mandolin) player would understand. Non violin players not qualified to comment in this thread. But since I know you will comment anyway, and since ignorance display is a common and consistent trait in PJ, you might as well go ahead and comment anyway. Ho hum.

1. Are you knowledgable of the mandolin ?

2. If you saw a painting of a violin fingerboard with double stops illustrated in blending colors would you understand that ?

3. If you saw the A string D note tied/blended to the D string A note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

4. If you saw the A string D note tied/blended to the D string B note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

5. If you saw the D string E note tied/blended to the A string C note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

6. If you saw the E string open note tied/blended to the A string C# note double stop, what colors would you think might best represent that harmonic ?

1625858698288.png
1625858726246.png

4 days gone by. No response. So nobody here play the violin, huh ?

Neither does a chimpanzee. Musical zeros. :neutral:

Mandolin & violin player here, but I'm color blind. I do like the way they're both tuned alike & that's what made the transition easier.

Mandolin & violin player here, but I'm color blind. I do like the way they're both tuned alike & that's what made the transition easier.
Sot on. I encourage my violin/fiddle student to learn the scales of the violin (G, D, and A are easy), on the mandolin first, and use that as a stepping stone, so you can concentrate all your energy on the bow.

Sot on. I encourage my violin/fiddle student to learn the scales of the violin (G, D, and A are easy), on the mandolin first, and use that as a stepping stone, so you can concentrate all your energy on the bow.
Of course the positioning/holding of the instrument's all different, but somehow that's not so much of a problem.

4 days gone by. No response. So nobody here play the violin, huh ?

Neither does a chimpanzee. Musical zeros. :neutral:
How do you think the 4 string fretless violin and the 8 string fretted mandolin are so similar?

I've messed saround with a fretless bass but I don't want to invest the time I would have to to be able to play it to the same degree as i can a fretted bass ( which isn't great as I mostly play guitar and just started playing bass a year ago)

How do you think the 4 string fretless violin and the 8 string fretted mandolin are so similar?

I've messed saround with a fretless bass but I don't want to invest the time I would have to to be able to play it to the same degree as i can a fretted bass ( which isn't great as I mostly play guitar and just started playing bass a year ago)
The VIolin and the MANDolin are practically the same instrument. In Italian, the English word "hand" translates to mano, so we have mand as the prefix for mandolin, since it is played (like a guitar) with the hand.
The right hand (hand on the mandolin; bow on the violin) is entirely differnt on the 2 instruments. The left hand is almost identical.

The mandolin has 8 strings, but they are actually 4 double strings of the same pitch. Thus we can think of the mandolin as actually having 4 strings (same as the violin).. These 4 strings are tuned the same on both instruments > GDAE. Thus, the scales are also the same. And thus, the finger patterns of songs/tunes are the same for both instruments. If you learn a tune's left hand (if you're right-handed) fingering pattern, you have learned that for the violin as well (and vice-versa).

Protectionist had a number of good points but what I found was that all the songs I'd learned on the mandolin came out real easy on the fiddle.

Protectionist had a number of good points but what I found was that all the songs I'd learned on the mandolin came out real easy on the fiddle.
Undoubtedly, much easier than if you had not learned them already on the mandolin.

lol! "what-if's" are impossible but what I do know is that it's been a LOT of fun what I got.
Absolutely. mandolin and violin are awesome,...and oh, gotta love those double-stops, and sliding up into them. People that don't play these instruments, don't know what they're missing.

Absolutely. mandolin and violin are awesome,...and oh, gotta love those double-stops, and sliding up into them. People that don't play these instruments, don't know what they're missing.
The fiddle's unitque tho. W/ guitar, mandolin, etc. a beginner can sound good. When I began the fiddle a friend of mine told me that he was glad to find out that there was an instrument that I played badly.

Forum List

Back