Army Trainees: We Were Told To Attend ‘Spiritual Fitness’ BBQ For Christ

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
"A Saturday barbecue encouraging Christian “spiritual fitness” has put leaders at Fort Gordon, Georgia, in the sights of an activist group.Army advanced individual training (AIT) students at Fort Gordon say “they were marched from their barracks to a base chapel” on Oct. 14 “for a mandatory Christian proselytizing event” Army Times reports.

As many as 500 soldiers attended the three-and-a-half hour weekend event, but complaints quickly surfaced after more than 40 soldiers and civilians at Fort Gordon reportedly contacted the Military Religious Freedom Foundation’s president and founder, Mikey Weinstein, according to Army Times.

In an open letter to the base commander, Maj. Gen. John Morrison Jr., published the evening of the event, Weinstein wrote that the soldiers who contacted him said they were pressured to attend the Saturday religious event. Christian rock music was played, while “enthusiastic” Army chaplains prayed over the attendees and invited soldiers to accept Jesus Christ, according to Weinstein"
.- Source
`
`

The religious right has been trying proselytize members of the US military for decades now. I'm glad to see them now fighting back.
`

pressured to attend the Saturday religious event.

I've been pressured to attend Saturday religious events ever since I can remember.

maxresdefault.jpg

Does this mean the military will no longer be pressured to accept the gay and transsexual religion either?

I'll say this... at boot camp at Parris Island, on Sunday you could either go to the religious assembly of your choice, or sit in the barracks in absolute silence doing nothing. Needless to say almost everyone went to some religious group of another. After going to the Catholic mass the first weekend that was absolutely HUGE, then sitting in the barracks once, me and some friends decided to go to the much more intimate Lutheran one.

`
"A Saturday barbecue encouraging Christian “spiritual fitness” has put leaders at Fort Gordon, Georgia, in the sights of an activist group.Army advanced individual training (AIT) students at Fort Gordon say “they were marched from their barracks to a base chapel” on Oct. 14 “for a mandatory Christian proselytizing event” Army Times reports.

As many as 500 soldiers attended the three-and-a-half hour weekend event, but complaints quickly surfaced after more than 40 soldiers and civilians at Fort Gordon reportedly contacted the Military Religious Freedom Foundation’s president and founder, Mikey Weinstein, according to Army Times.

In an open letter to the base commander, Maj. Gen. John Morrison Jr., published the evening of the event, Weinstein wrote that the soldiers who contacted him said they were pressured to attend the Saturday religious event. Christian rock music was played, while “enthusiastic” Army chaplains prayed over the attendees and invited soldiers to accept Jesus Christ, according to Weinstein"
.- Source
`
`

The religious right has been trying proselytize members of the US military for decades now. I'm glad to see them now fighting back.
`

Yeah, it happens all of the time!

It was a constant threat during my 12 year Navy career, my son's 8 years in the Army, my son-in-laws' 12 years in the Army and Navy, and my daughter's 6 years in the Army. I tell you it is a widespread problem with chaplains snatching people up left and right, forcing them to go to church! Forcing us to read Bibles against our will! [/sarcasm]

We're activities scheduled by the camp Temple? Or the Universalist Unitarians? Or the Muslims?

A mandatory Dundamentalist Christian gathering alone is just the wrong thing to do.

`

.- Source
`
`

`
"Get on your knees, get off your knees" was repeated as needed by the sgt. to the trainees...

Forum List

Back