Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Sleep well! Found another beauty, same link.

e4f540850a1ed93c361a6939e9a965d7.jpg

Sea Fever, by John Masefield
98. Sea-Fever
I MUST down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.
I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
I must down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life.
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
Bartleby

Last edited:
I'm dyeing a round pineapple motif table cloth my auntie made....it had stains on the original ecru color...we're going for teal. I put it through with one packet of rit color, and it's a pretty color but I still see the stains. So now its soaking in a tub with two packets of color.

Along with some ripped sheets that I'm going to make into a rug.

Sea Fever, by John Masefield​
98. Sea-Fever
aa9c5c7bfd65dd9c1eb685853fe0f7e2.jpg
When I was a little girl, my mother had an old beat up volume of poems that she would read to us from. Favorites were this poem, Daffodils, Lenore, and a few others. What a lovely memory...and what a gorgeous quilt!!!

I'm dyeing a round pineapple motif table cloth my auntie made....it had stains on the original ecru color...we're going for teal. I put it through with one packet of rit color, and it's a pretty color but I still see the stains. So now its soaking in a tub with two packets of color.

Along with some ripped sheets that I'm going to make into a rug.

If that doesn't do it, you have two recourses: (1) Start over using Rit Dye "Color Out" product which removes everything and is especially good on what seem to be permanent stains on light colors, since all the color is out.

Another alternative is if the dye you used is firm (test by soaking in water overnight and testing to see if the teal color is running). If the water is clear in a glass next to a clear glass of distilled water, the dye is firm.

If the dye is firm, embroider one of your most beautiful embroidery ideas over it to obfuscate the stain. It will take people's mind off the spot and show your fabulous work.

Sea Fever, by John Masefield​

98. Sea-Fever

Bartleby

aa9c5c7bfd65dd9c1eb685853fe0f7e2.jpg
When I was a little girl, my mother had an old beat up volume of poems that she would read to us from. Favorites were this poem, Daffodils, Lenore, and a few others. What a lovely memory...and what a gorgeous quilt!!!

All I know is a man named John Ratzenberger shared it online and said it was made by his wife Annette on a British website: The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum ? View topic - Previously built and launched

Wow. Your mother read you poetry. My mother read stories to my brother and me, and all I remember is loving bedtime because I'd get to hear her read to us, and it was a fun time. :)

Last edited:
697bfe7584d2da6d3eed085a7ead499f.jpg
A mockup of Maritime Rows:​
5218592799_87f3e4306f_z.jpg
Who said the rows had to be planks? :muahaha:
3425870342_4d76ee6500.jpg
productimage-picture-out-to-sea-row-quilt-42-5-x-51-1553_jpg_980x700_q85.jpg
Odd, I was thinking of the Crossed canoes square, Tall Ships and Storm-at-Sea just this morning:​
0128a075d0058d1638965e4cbdad8b98.jpg
Mixed Mania:​
IMG_0763.jpg
Wouldn't you know it, a maritime row quilt book, "Quilts in a Row UNDER THE SEA" has been published by Billie Lander and Marilyn Mansker.​
UndrSea200.jpg

Another major board with 6,246 pins on it!

Magnificiant Quilts on Pinterest

706378b398cc296199af31c687119525.jpg

Some of what I'm seeing really doesn't seem like a quilt to me. Fabric art? I have to go define: quilt and see what qualifies. :thup:
Quilt designers are aka fiber artists, which includes an entire spectrum of aesthetic fiber works. Yes, they're art. Yes, they are quilts. And no, fiber artists cannot tell if their art will wind up on a wall or bleached in a washer to clean them by a blunderbuss when they are sold or given. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Another sea quilt I found online...​
5c28051d0153966ba0e7f5b0cb9b21b5.jpg
10612D.jpg
73b9aa4658a3da090b349de85a296a66.jpg
KeepingKool.jpg
8f0cac1e2f1bacc7e5651804870d7709.jpg
th

Last edited:
Still working on the little row quilt and turned in 5 quilt tops to the charity bees yesterday. I had a lot of people to meet with in the last couple of days and still have more to go. <huff, puff!>

The work I'm now doing is a floral row, and am working with simple floral shapes I charted on graph paper but cannot share yet due to not being able to scan now. I'm sorry. I finished all those quilts and didn't get to show the work. Oh, well. I used some really pretty contemporary fabrics from the quilt store on one of them. In fact, the border was much prettier than the quilt. I'm so tired of my old squares.

I bought a used book on Amazon of simple postage pieced flowers called "Bloomin Beauties" by Billie Lauder. I really love this rose, and some of her other flowers that could be a nice idea for a row quilt. I saw this beautiful quilt in a frame at the Sam Houston Antique Mall or Store in beautiful downtown Huntsville, Texas, today. It was tiny, beautiful work, and only was asking $75 for it. Instead, I bought a chair that would help me rise from the chair by being exactly the right height for my bad knees that have been right crochety lately.

A samplesfrom the book Bloomin' Beauties.

Bloom2.jpg

Other pictures inside the book are here: Bloomin' Beauties Simple Pieced Florals by Billie Lauder

I've already designed several flowers to work and more complex borders than appear in this book, but I will use easier borders if it helps crank out another Charity Bees quilt for giving in the local community.

Well, I'm shot for the night. I'm battling my second case of Poison Ivy in a month, and a severe toothache on the same side of my face I fell on at my sister's oak root parking lot a few weeks back. My husband has decided not to go wandering after I gave him a few sermons about elderly people we knew over the years who had bad things happen as they approached their 70s and 80s. One ran over a child, one took a joyride to Lander, Wyoming, quite a few miles from central Wyoming where we lived, and died in a crash that took 2 other lives when she got confused and veered into an oncoming lane on a country freeway miles from anywhere. Her husband was just sick. He'd had problems with her disappearing and not coming back for hours before, but her last drive was the end of her life. From the evidence gathered at the accident scene, nobody knew what hit them, and it was all over in an instant for everyone in both vehicles.

Well, 'scuse me for going off topic. I'm just achey, that's all, and it makes me ramble.

Off to get some Orajel on this tooth one more time.

Love to all, :smiliehug:

becki

Forum List

Back