Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

I hope everybody had as nice an Easter as we did. We went to church, and my sweet son and his family joined us there. They had an Easter egg hunt after the service, then the kids went to the beach and I finished up dinner...ham, potato salad, regular salad, pears, sweet potatoes, bread sticks.....

wow but seriously, we are the Loud Family. My ears hurt.

A blessed Easter, everyone...

5d69fae74ea08c1eb95f2962b1f8ffd5.jpg

7d0a0b5408f4b3c94aae838429597e66.jpg

5838b17704cd7def6fed21dd54f9f77b.jpg

48f5b50dc1f7afc3cb32510ad9f2dd50.jpg

8354cb27f23e2256fe683a373971357b.jpg

quilt-cross.jpg

I hope everybody had as nice an Easter as we did. We went to church, and my sweet son and his family joined us there. They had an Easter egg hunt after the service, then the kids went to the beach and I finished up dinner...ham, potato salad, regular salad, pears, sweet potatoes, bread sticks.....

wow but seriously, we are the Loud Family. My ears hurt.

Sounds wonderful.

I finished one quilt and got another 2/3 finished. The other is called "Mulligan stew." The finished quilt was started 20 years ago at least, and the squares just sat in a pile until we moved, then got bunched together and has provided the works for 2 other quilts that were finished here for the Charity Bees ongoing community helping hands. :) I don't know why I got everything so cart before the horse yesterday. I shed a little tear now and then with my husbands issues. Your eyes get blurry when there's too much sorrow.

Today's gleanings from the net:

This heart was just pleasing for some reason...

df378f6f88d61ac8de43df29661ac08e.jpg

And this "spools Log Cabin" was intriguing because it was executed on point:
Spool+Log+Cabins.jpg

Actually, I just loaded "Spools Log Cabin" into Bing! And I liked the results:

96d7586a0d82a5e1fa260288ccfe1d35.jpg

This was a doll quilt someone made when they realized how much work pineapple quilt is by comparison to any other quilts:

IMG_8813-1883-Log-Cabin-Dol.jpg

What a planner or mathematician the lady was, who designed and made this spools and log cabin quilt:

peggy.jpg

And the colors on this one enchanted me:

Michelle%2527s+Quilt%252C+Finished+April+11%252C+2012+005.JPG

There are so many things people do to make their quilts really fantastic. And the gallery is as close as Bing or Google. *sigh*

Last edited:
And some quilters say, "Aw, to heck with perfection and planning! Let's do fun today." :D
See what I mean in this quilt's pure delight of delirious colors:

13194270013831445528558.jpeg

When I see a quilt like this apple core/hatchet (quilt that has 2 traditional names), my first thought is often "How'd she do that?

QuiltLink59SpoolsOfCharms.jpg

Of course, I'm itching to find out how my "apple core" acrylic template is going to work out. Other people's work is often my courage, and I'm so grateful for the advantages of having so much sharing done by people. Mine won't be this gracious. It's an 8-inch baby huey apple core. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love these two, and the "holders" look like children to me:

021.JPG

Oh, someone did a log cabin style crazy quilt and it rocks:

da7573cb7e4c5a1b8d66be62c6ff244e.jpg

And adorning her sign that says "There is such a thing as having too much fabric" is this adorable spools scrap quilt:

6b730595516ae479642938f1c5fa0bf6.jpg

Can you say the "workaholic quilt?" I can! The quilt below proves it. :D

3548f3e711114d0471d90307adfac073.jpg

And every search lately finds at least ONE (or more) "Selvage" quilts made from the printed edge that tells manufacturing or care details from time to time...

100_1629-1.JPG

Last edited:
Today's challenge will be

1. Driving Mr. Daisy around without having foot cramps and malicious reaction syndrome to his dementia issues of conducting an orchestra from the passenger seat and whispering sweet nothings to complete a conversation he had with a business associate 40 years ago. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

2. Disengaging the tractor from the spring swamp area that Mr. Daisy drove the tractor into last week without recollecting the fact that he really didn't want to do it when I sent him out... :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

3. Sweating buckets mowing the lawn while Mr. Daisy makes a beeline for the recliner where he will spend the rest of the day vegetating out in front of the same movies he always watches. I swear I will promise not to gag on seeing the same actress wearing the same gray outfit again nor her wedding planner sequel as my entertainment when reentering the residence for a drink of limeade. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

4. Acting nonchalant when holding my breath taking out the Mr. Daisy's Depends, and not devising plans to purchase a smell-proof oxygen tank (which may not exist) to do the task. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

5. Hoping I get an hour to put my 20 little log squares together this morning, and still able to satisfy Mr. Daisy's epicurean demands... which means thinking ahead to come up with a witticism when he demands a trip to the luncheon establishment 20 minutes after he ate a huge breakfast. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

If I made anybody laugh with the above nonsense, I shall be pleased as the Cheshire Cat. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Have a lovely day all!

Love,

becki

Last edited:
Have a good day, becki...I love the selvage quilts...I've seen those before. I've also seen quilts made of county fair ribbons! I'm making the girl an infinity scarf...I finished the black and white one. Hers is green and a cream or tan color. I have discovered that green is not abundant in the yarn world...and the variations on the shades is insane...but you'll see lots of blues, and reds, and yellows on the shelves, just very few greens. I don't know if that is just a coinicidence I've stumbled on here, or if there's a reason for it.

Anyway, her scarf will be lovely on her.

I'm also making skulls for the boy....I'm going to make him a scarf. I'll have to post a couple.

Oh duh, I already did.

I'm using the purple one as a coaster for my water glass and/or sodas, btw.

1. Driving Mr. Daisy around without having foot cramps and malicious reaction syndrome to his dementia issues of conducting an orchestra from the passenger seat and whispering sweet nothings to complete a conversation he had with a business associate 40 years ago. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

2. Disengaging the tractor from the spring swamp area that Mr. Daisy drove the tractor into last week without recollecting the fact that he really didn't want to do it when I sent him out... :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

3. Sweating buckets mowing the lawn while Mr. Daisy makes a beeline for the recliner where he will spend the rest of the day vegetating out in front of the same movies he always watches. I swear I will promise not to gag on seeing the same actress wearing the same gray outfit again nor her wedding planner sequel as my entertainment when reentering the residence for a drink of limeade. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

4. Acting nonchalant when holding my breath taking out the Mr. Daisy's Depends, and not devising plans to purchase a smell-proof oxygen tank (which may not exist) to do the task. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

5. Hoping I get an hour to put my 20 little log squares together this morning, and still able to satisfy Mr. Daisy's epicurean demands... which means thinking ahead to come up with a witticism when he demands a trip to the luncheon establishment 20 minutes after he ate a huge breakfast. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

If I made anybody laugh with the above nonsense, I shall be pleased as the Cheshire Cat. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Have a lovely day all!

Love,

becki

You did. :lol:

May the challenges fly by.

Have a lovely day all!

Love,

becki

You did. :lol:

May the challenges fly by.
Like the arrow Cupid shot when I first saw my sweetie? Goner!

Cupid conferred with the Angels who said, "He's perfect. She's an A-type and he's the perfect B-type which means she will always love him even when he someday will get Dementia..." :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Angels do have a warped sense of humor, and Cupid was their accomplice! But it's ok. My A-type is becoming more subdued by the day lately. So they did know what they were doing. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

This lady did a cute butterfly design for a quilt from Down Under. Way cute. Linda Steele did this way cute butterfly:

Painting+butterflies+500px.jpg

The shape is so intriguing to me. *sigh*

OK, Beckums,

I managed to get a password that works, so disregard the email on that one. Here are the tablecloth pics, not washed or ironed on the first ones:

Ironed and ready to put away:

My new quilt project:

That is the first block. The pattern called for that dark red, but as you know I had a bad experience with it fading. I went to the fabric store looking for something that wouldn't fade. The clerk told me to always look at the tiny label for the tiny words. 'color fast.' Luckily the green on the other one is color fast. I chose a nice deep color fast rose which gives the same effect as the dark red. The pattern is a colonial design and I noticed in Colonial Williamsburg that all the colors there were very vibrant.

I believe I learned a lot on the first quilt project, no doubt I will learn on this one as well. The red on that tablecloth was hard to look at for more than a couple of hours at a time. I know you thought I wouldn't pick it back up when I put it down for a time, but I knew I would. I had put the green quilt down for 5 or 6 years. The time became right to pick it back up. The best thing about the new project: No border row. I go nuts having to do those.

Either of my grandmothers would take that tablecloth and put white crochet around the edges. But I'm not either of my grandmothers. It will just have to stay like it is.

I told you about the yellow butterfly after my sister died. Well I had her son take me by the cemetery to see her marker last week. I took 3 color pics of it. I love taking pics in cemeteries, I always get some unusual light effects. Wellll, when I got home, I noticed that all the pics except those of my sister's marker were black and white. My cell camera takes a deliberate action to change venues. I had done nothing to change it. I took the last pick of her marker and then, without even putting the phone down, turned and took the other pics.

Cheers, Beckums.

Last edited:
OK, Beckums,

I managed to get a password that works, so disregard the email on that one. Here are the tablecloth pics, not washed or ironed on the first ones:

Ironed and ready to put away:

My new quilt project:

That is the first block. The pattern called for that dark red, but as you know I had a bad experience with it fading. I went to the fabric store looking for something that wouldn't fade. The clerk told me to always look at the tiny label for the tiny words. 'color fast.' Luckily the green on the other one is color fast. I chose a nice deep color fast rose which gives the same effect as the dark red. The pattern is a colonial design and I noticed in Colonial Williamsburg that all the colors there were very vibrant.

I believe I learned a lot on the first quilt project, no doubt I will learn on this one as well. The red on that tablecloth was hard to look at for more than a couple of hours at a time. I know you thought I wouldn't pick it back up when I put it down for a time, but I knew I would. I had put the green quilt down for 5 or 6 years. The time became right to pick it back up. The best thing about the new project: No border row. I go nuts having to do those.

Either of my grandmothers would take that tablecloth and put white crochet around the edges. But I'm not either of my grandmothers. It will just have to stay like it is.

I told you about the yellow butterfly after my sister died. Well I had her son take me by the cemetery to see her marker last week. I took 3 color pics of it. I love taking pics in cemeteries, I always get some unusual light effects. Wellll, when I got home, I noticed that all the pics except those of my sister's marker were black and white. My cell camera takes a deliberate action to change venues. I had done nothing to change it. I took the last pick of her marker and then, without even putting the phone down, turned and took the other pics.

Cheers, Beckums.
Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful tablecloth with us, Sunshine. And your redwork cross stitch quilt is going to be another treasure. I'm still not done with the butterfly quilt, having decided to go back to doing more charity quilts. My son loved the butterfly quilt on his trip here last month. I guess he will have the top, although he won't ever get it quilted. He just doesn't ever get around to unfinished stuff. Even so, I will have to finish it sooner or later, but right now, everything is on hold while my husband is still alive and kicking.

Hope everybody has a lovely evening. That redwork quilt is going to be a sight to behold and a treasure to your children, Sunshine. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Forum List

Back