Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

To all who visit here: "Hope your holidays are the best."

attachment.php

Attachments

• $To Friends at Christmas.jpg
    $To Friends at Christmas.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,172
Sewed up the top of a 14" pillow for a senior recently and need to make a sham cover to make it presentable.

Red Hot with White Star Points Quilt

This one has almost all the work done on the squares. They've been going together nicely after a day of cutting and organizing pieces into wide, flat plastic cake takers (for lack of better description) that measure about 12x16x3" and give an opportunity for placing 1.5" strips cut to 1.5," 2.5," 3.5," 4.5," 5.5," 6.5," 7.5," 8.5," and 9.5." That makes it a bazillion times easier to quickly grab a stack, and add it to the string of pieces going under the presser foot of the sewing machine asap.

The first two are little squares, one to show starts on the 16 all-red squares that will cause this quilt to dominate red. The second shows a lights to reds triangular shape with stairsteps between the reds and lights.

The third is a quilt I found online that shows a red and white log cabin quilt with 224 log cabin blocks in its makeup and will fit a king bed found in Bing on a blog's pictures page.

The blocks below are a start on a crib-sized quilt that will measure before borders 36" by 54" (more or less) and ideally, 42x60" when complete. (That is not known at this time).

Attachments

• $1 Red Hot Star a start make 16.jpg
    $1 Red Hot Star a start make 16.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 36
  • $2 Red Hot Star b start make 8.jpg
    $2 Red Hot Star b start make 8.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 38
  • $Red White Log Cabin Star from Quilting Board dot com.jpg
    $Red White Log Cabin Star from Quilting Board dot com.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 37
This quilt will dominate with reds, because 16 of the blocks will contain all medium to dark reds in their log rondelays.

Attachments

• $Red Hot Star All Red Square .jpg
    $Red Hot Star All Red Square .jpg
    73 KB · Views: 33
  • $Red Hot Star All Red Square 2.jpg
    $Red Hot Star All Red Square 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 40
  • $Red Hot Star All Red Square 3.jpg
    $Red Hot Star All Red Square 3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 37
The 8 star points will go around 4 squaes of solid red, cornered by a red square on 4 corners, then for good measure, will have a top and bottom border row of 4 red squares apiece. the squares have 17 pieces each and points are laying in a stack of four by the sewing machine in the sewing machine, along with bright red 9" squares of red logs sewn at random as shown above.

The scans below show two of the star points and a junction between two log cabin blocks.

Attachments

• $Red Hot Star Point Set Junction.jpg
    $Red Hot Star Point Set Junction.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 40
  • $Red Hot Star Point Set 1b.jpg
    $Red Hot Star Point Set 1b.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 32
  • $Red Hot Star Point Set 1b (2).jpg
    $Red Hot Star Point Set 1b (2).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The light eight points is all you see on this quilt, and when I beheld it for the first time after it had all its squares put on yesterday morning, what stood out were the eight star points around the center square. I just thought the name of the quilt, unlike other log cabin stars should be therefore, "Points of Light Log Cabin." So here's the border in "Points of Light Log Cabin in Red:"

Sorry I don't know how to use a camera very well. I love the way it looks. It measures 41.5" x 59.5" more or less.

Attachments

• $Points of Light Log Cabin  in Red, Border.jpg
    $Points of Light Log Cabin in Red, Border.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Just 11 shy of a 1,000 post thread! :thup:
I'll have to do a detailed quilt. Too tired to think of it right now. One of my albums is of a child's abc animal quilt, and has 44 blocks. Link: Aesthetics of ABC Animals. That'd make 3 quilts of 12 squares each, and I'd only have to design 4 more to have 4 quilts of all different silly animals. Writing that book really got tiresome after a while. It took 4 months. But seeing what students did with their animals really made me happy. One lady did all 44 animals in long rows and decorated a school library where she volunteered with her work of my designed. I was so thrilled she did that. She taught school for 40 years, then volunteered at the library in her spare time.

'Night. It's only seven here, but I'm falling asleep at the monitor. Happy trails, Mr. H. :)

Last edited:
Wish I could describe this quilt better with a picture, but I'm limited, so this morning I drew up the general schema of the quilt that would convey the idea of the points that are a contrast to the overall reds in the blocks. The first is the little schema, and a couple of block items to show the true colors of this little gem of a quilt. It just makes me so happy to look at it. Red is a good color to have in your fabric playbox!

Attachments

• $Points of Light Log Cabin  in Red, Schemar.jpg
    $Points of Light Log Cabin in Red, Schemar.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 23
  • $Red Hot Star Point Set 1b (2).jpg
    $Red Hot Star Point Set 1b (2).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 25
  • $Red Hot Star Point Set Junction.jpg
    $Red Hot Star Point Set Junction.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24
This was one of the pleasantest songs to listen to in recent memory. It speaks for itself:

[ame=http://youtu.be/6CR71QwLjSM]Randy Travis - Point Of Light - YouTube[/ame]

Jewels8-rowChristmasTreeQuilt.jpg

"O Tannenbaum" Quilt: Donated to West Wind Art Gallery in or around 1999 as a
fundraiser raffle.

Last edited:
Hi, Beckums. Well, I see I do have some catching up to do. Am back working on my cross stitch quilt.

Hi, Beckums. Well, I see I do have some catching up to do. Am back working on my cross stitch quilt.
Yea!!! I love it!!! Can you post a scan of one of your newer squares so everyone can see? And - :huddle:

Allie Baba also told me the other day she was thinking about pulling her long-set-aside quilt and might be finishing it over the holidays, or at least getting back into it. :thup:

notica importante!

Don't forget, these are the shortest days of the year due to the proximity of the winter solstice, and it's Seasonal Affective Disorder time. (SAD) Fight it tooth and nail by turning on double the light around your work station the month before and the month after Dec.22. (or whenever solstice is, which is the shortest day of the year). Also, if entertaining, provide plenty of light and only reduce the lights shortly to enjoy tree lights. :thup:

I can't believe how good it is to have Sunshine back with us for a little while! :woohoo:

Forum List

Back