Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

The square measures 44 inches each way, which means 1.25 yards of batting (45" square) will fill a completed crib quilt for the shelter. O Happy Day! :)

Here are 3 of 4 corners:

Attachments

• $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 1.jpg
    $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 48
  • $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 2.jpg
    $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 53
  • $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 3.jpg
    $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 43
Note the border fabric--it has to be used sparingly if a light on the blocks, and sometimes when one of these irresistible fabrics winds up in the stash and are just a little to dark even for the light side, they're great around the quilt. In order to get the advantages of a warp border, I cut it top to bottom, although there was only an irregular half yard piece that was used on the strips. I sewed 12 strips around to make sure I had enough, but there was a 45" piece left over at the end of the day. That's why eyeballing a piece of fabric is not always exactly correct, but there was more than 9 inches left over from the first side, so I just sewed all the warped strips end to end, and didn't have to worry a bit. Better safe than sorry. The strips work reasonably well if they are premeasured and not cut short when making stacks of log strips to meet the measurement of the log in its order around the light and dark block.

Scans: 4th corner, Middle of quilt, 1st point

Attachments

• $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 4.jpg
    $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Corner 4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 51
  • $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Middle 5.jpg
    $44-in Square Barn Raising Lob Cabin Red Middle 5.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 53
  • $44-in Square Barn Raising Log Cabin Red Point 6.jpg
    $44-in Square Barn Raising Log Cabin Red Point 6.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
After completing this little square quilt for giving in 2013, I thought of the next holiday--Valentine's day, and designed a heart on paper. However, having seen Sunshine's green cross stitch, I want to make a green quilt more. I may just redo the red in greens, just for fun.

You must have a little fun along the way, and the unexpected pleasure of seeing Sunshine's progress on her green embroideries has me thinking more of green than Valentines. I have green strips cut.... somewhere, and a ton of green 1.5" strips in no less than 3 or 4 bags ... somewhere. So, it's in the bag, I'm heading off to do some tearin' of the green. Actually, cutting strips that may need pressing first. :)

:woohoo:

It's a green attack! :lol::lol::lol:

36 centers... that's 2 strips and 2 more for the next one. Using 3" lights, stitched on top of the solid green, it will be a quilt in no time.

So, it's off to the quilt room! Time to toss the reds and go for the green! :woohoo:

Echo Log Cabin Hobo Lace Curtain was finished this morning that measures 44x56." It has green diagonally striped sashes with assorted dark green print sets. Like Echo Chambers quilt of a few weeks ago, the blocks are exactly the same, with a 4-patch in a chamber of light prints echoed by log strips on the south and west corners with hobo lace at the outer borders of the two log sides. 11 of the 12 squares were already done at the making of the echo chambers quilt
scan 1, upper left corner showing rust and oak borders
scan 2, upper right
scan 3, a green set at the junction of 4 squares

Attachments

• $Echo LaceCurtain Hobo Log Cabin5 44x56 junciton.jpg
    $Echo LaceCurtain Hobo Log Cabin5 44x56 junciton.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 48
  • $Echo Lace Curtain Hobo Log Cabin2 44x56 corner.jpg
    $Echo Lace Curtain Hobo Log Cabin2 44x56 corner.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 49
  • $Echo Lace Curtain Hobo Log Cabin1 44x56 corner.jpg
    $Echo Lace Curtain Hobo Log Cabin1 44x56 corner.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 48
Echo Log Cabin Hobo Lace Curtain 44x56"

scan 4, lower right corner
scan 5, lower left corner
scan 6, another junction set square between 4 echo chamber log cabin blocks with hobo lace

Attachments

• $Echo Lace Curtain Hobo Log Cabin3 44x56 corner.jpg
    $Echo Lace Curtain Hobo Log Cabin3 44x56 corner.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 54
  • $Echo LaceCurtain Hobo Log Cabin4 44x56 corner.jpg
    $Echo LaceCurtain Hobo Log Cabin4 44x56 corner.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 61
  • $Echo LaceCurtain Hobo Log Cabin6 44x56 junciton.jpg
    $Echo LaceCurtain Hobo Log Cabin6 44x56 junciton.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 44
After completing this little square quilt for giving in 2013, I thought of the next holiday--Valentine's day, and designed a heart on paper. However, having seen Sunshine's green cross stitch, I want to make a green quilt more. I may just redo the red in greens, just for fun.

You must have a little fun along the way, and the unexpected pleasure of seeing Sunshine's progress on her green embroideries has me thinking more of green than Valentines. I have green strips cut.... somewhere, and a ton of green 1.5" strips in no less than 3 or 4 bags ... somewhere. So, it's in the bag, I'm heading off to do some tearin' of the green. Actually, cutting strips that may need pressing first. :)

:woohoo:

It's a green attack! :lol::lol::lol:

36 centers... that's 2 strips and 2 more for the next one. Using 3" lights, stitched on top of the solid green, it will be a quilt in no time.

So, it's off to the quilt room! Time to toss the reds and go for the green! :woohoo:

Today, I will try to lay all the blocks out that I have done and take a pic so you can see what the whole thing will lookl like, although you probably can anyway being an experienced qilter. I'm getting about 1 block a week done workng in spare time and making myself quit before I get tired of it.

I'm still not working on my niece's quilt but I DID get a bunch of stuff out of my closet...I found I had about half a dozen packages of flour sack dish towels that I bought when I was on a kick a couple of years ago, along with the transfers and embroidery floss. I gave my sis the biggest package of plain towels for Christmas; she'd specifically asked for some and I didn't have time to embroider them. But I'm going to embroider mom's before I go...
021.jpg

020.jpg

I'm still not working on my niece's quilt but I DID get a bunch of stuff out of my closet...I found I had about half a dozen packages of flour sack dish towels that I bought when I was on a kick a couple of years ago, along with the transfers and embroidery floss. I gave my sis the biggest package of plain towels for Christmas; she'd specifically asked for some and I didn't have time to embroider them. But I'm going to embroider mom's before I go...
021.jpg

020.jpg

I very much admire someone who can do traditional embroidery. I'm just not good at it. I get to wanting it finished and my stitches just get longer and longer. I never get a good result on something like this. Yours looks really good. I'm envious.

Last edited:
OK Beckums, here you go:

Squirrel030_zpsdd74fcd5.jpg

Squirrel029_zps839d922b.jpg

I have to say that doing this has jump started my motivation. But I know better than to make a strong final push. I will get tired before I'm done and quit. Need to just keep working the same pace.

Also, I see that I did get the outline row on some of them. I had forgotten that. I quit doing it in favor of getting a hoop later on that would make it more convenient to do, but as of yet I have not done that.

Finished it will be 5 blocks wide and 6 blocks long. It will be large, but I wanted it to be useable as a coverlet.

Last edited:
Here is a counted cross stitch I did several years back. It's one of my favorite pieces. I did a nursing diploma as well. If I can get the name obscured I will post that as well.

Squirrel031_zpsbf732f37.jpg

It is a bit dim because it is behind glass. I had to put it where I wouldn't get a glare. Right now, I just can't entertain the idea of counted cross stitch. I need something for relaxation and counted just isn't relaxing to me. I am so OCD about every stitch being right, that I have ripped out and thrown away more work than is in any finished product.

Last edited:
OK, here's the nursing diploma. I was just out of nursing school when I made it so I was seriously motivated!

Diplomaedited_zpsef578ce5.gif

The inner border is hard to see in a photo. That tiny inside border is all medical formulas and abbreviations. The work isn't great on it, and the back of it is horrible. I didn't really know how to do counted cross stitch and this may actually have been only my first or second ever.

Last edited:
Here is a counted one I did from a kit shortly after my husband died. Now, I think about it, this was my second one ever and the diploma was the third. I did a kit first that was a white sheep and a black sheep and a caption that said, 'Be reasonable. Do it my way.' But I gave that one to a friend who was really stubborn!

In this one, I did the hair colors like ours. I wasn't a redhead then. Shhhhh....

Diploma005_zps6f1a56b6.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the pattern for the next one I plan to do. I already have the blocks. It is shown in a red, but I want an orchid or lavendar, maybe. Not sure what will strike me when the time comes.

http://www.123stitch.com/pictures/JD-731282.jpg

JD-731282.jpg

I can't locate a pic of it finished, but I have seen them. Maybe on the package, LOL. Mine is white. The one shown is ecru. At the time I bought the blocks, they only had white.

Here are some other blocks I've got on my Amazon Wish List:

51sWfEU2iGL.jpg

31tkdbeEzLL.jpg

41sCI4VqKeL.jpg

These don't look to have the huge amount of work like in the one I'm doing and the one that is next. I am thinking of doing that star one for the grandson.

021.jpg

020.jpg
Oh, that is way too cute, Koshergrl! And you can put updates on that avie! A+ for AWESOME! :woohoo:

OK Beckums, here you go:

Squirrel030_zpsdd74fcd5.jpg

Squirrel029_zps839d922b.jpg

I have to say that doing this has jump started my motivation. But I know better than to make a strong final push. I will get tired before I'm done and quit. Need to just keep working the same pace.

Also, I see that I did get the outline row on some of them. I had forgotten that. I quit doing it in favor of getting a hoop later on that would make it more convenient to do, but as of yet I have not done that.

Finished it will be 5 blocks wide and 6 blocks long. It will be large, but I wanted it to be useable as a coverlet.
All your squares are beginning to look like a quilt! Kudos, Sunshine! Those are absolutely wonderful!

51sWfEU2iGL.jpg

31tkdbeEzLL.jpg

41sCI4VqKeL.jpg

These don't look to have the huge amount of work like in the one I'm doing and the one that is next. I am thinking of doing that star one for the grandson.
Wow, everything is so out of this world, Sunshine. You've made a lot of progress on the green cross stitch quilt top. Those are a lot of work, and with your pacing yourself, the time will quickly pass and you'll be in touch with a quilter soon, I hope. I love the crosss-stitched chickens, too. You picked a beautiful work to do on just about all counts. The lavender or mauve will be very unique. I've done purple and lavender quilts, and people love the color because they're not used to seeing that end of the color wheel represented as a quilt very often. Lavender rocks. :thup.

I'm also fond of the 8-pointed star idea for your son. It's outta sight.

Wow, everything is so out of this world, Sunshine. You've made a lot of progress on the green cross stitch quilt top. Those are a lot of work, and with your pacing yourself, the time will quickly pass and you'll be in touch with a quilter soon, I hope. I love the crosss-stitched chickens, too. You picked a beautiful work to do on just about all counts. The lavender or mauve will be very unique. I've done purple and lavender quilts, and people love the color because they're not used to seeing that end of the color wheel represented as a quilt very often. Lavender rocks. :thup.

I'm also fond of the 8-pointed star idea for your son. It's outta sight.

When I was a teen, my bedroom was lavendar. My mother made curtains for it out of unbleached muslin and they were trimmed with lavendar piping. So, like the green which is a knock off if one my mother quilted, the lavendar will be getting me back in touch with the past as well. The star is just a new idea. It looks like it will be easy and go fast.

Two of my high school girlfriends are quilters and they have both written books about it. I will likely turn to one of them. Machine quilting is not out of the question, but whatever gets done I want it to be good.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back