Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Here are some other blocks I've got on my Amazon Wish List:

These don't look to have the huge amount of work like in the one I'm doing and the one that is next. I am thinking of doing that star one for the grandson.
Wow, everything is so out of this world, Sunshine. You've made a lot of progress on the green cross stitch quilt top. Those are a lot of work, and with your pacing yourself, the time will quickly pass and you'll be in touch with a quilter soon, I hope. I love the crosss-stitched chickens, too. You picked a beautiful work to do on just about all counts. The lavender or mauve will be very unique. I've done purple and lavender quilts, and people love the color because they're not used to seeing that end of the color wheel represented as a quilt very often. Lavender rocks. :thup.

I'm also fond of the 8-pointed star idea for your son. It's outta sight.

When I was a teen, my bedroom was lavendar. My mother made curtains for it out of unbleached muslin and they were trimmed with lavendar piping. So, like the green which is a knock off if one my mother quilted, the lavendar will be getting me back in touch with the past as well. The star is just a new idea. It looks like it will be easy and go fast.

Two of my high school girlfriends are quilters and they have both written books about it. I will likely turn to one of them. Machine quilting is not out of the question, but whatever gets done I want it to be good.
That sounds so beautiful, Sunshine. :)

Done right, lavender can be quite exquisite...

lavender-bedding-01.jpg

Last edited:
OK, here's the nursing diploma. I was just out of nursing school when I made it so I was seriously motivated!

Diplomaedited_zpsef578ce5.gif

The inner border is hard to see in a photo. That tiny inside border is all medical formulas and abbreviations. The work isn't great on it, and the back of it is horrible. I didn't really know how to do counted cross stitch and this may actually have been only my first or second ever.
It's totally wonderful, Sunshine. You started on an advanced design--few people put their knowledge into stitches, and I love it when I see it. I've thought about doing one on microbes, but there are just too many charity quilts to do right now. I just took 6 more tops down to the Charity Bees closet and left one for the shopkeeper for letting the bees use her facility for their meeting and storage place.

And of course, left with a batch of pretty new fabrics for borders and a propeller quilt I'm thinking about doing. She had red fabrics with blue print that will surround the propellers for half price. I got enough to do at least 3 quilts or more. Red is such a good color for kids and also for wounded soldiers when added to blue.

Wow, everything is so out of this world, Sunshine. You've made a lot of progress on the green cross stitch quilt top. Those are a lot of work, and with your pacing yourself, the time will quickly pass and you'll be in touch with a quilter soon, I hope. I love the crosss-stitched chickens, too. You picked a beautiful work to do on just about all counts. The lavender or mauve will be very unique. I've done purple and lavender quilts, and people love the color because they're not used to seeing that end of the color wheel represented as a quilt very often. Lavender rocks. :thup.

I'm also fond of the 8-pointed star idea for your son. It's outta sight.

When I was a teen, my bedroom was lavendar. My mother made curtains for it out of unbleached muslin and they were trimmed with lavendar piping. So, like the green which is a knock off if one my mother quilted, the lavendar will be getting me back in touch with the past as well. The star is just a new idea. It looks like it will be easy and go fast.

Two of my high school girlfriends are quilters and they have both written books about it. I will likely turn to one of them. Machine quilting is not out of the question, but whatever gets done I want it to be good.
That sounds so beautiful, Sunshine. :)

Done right, lavender can be quite exquisite...

lavender-bedding-01.jpg

Now I'm motivated to get that lavenadar one going!~

OK, here's the nursing diploma. I was just out of nursing school when I made it so I was seriously motivated!

The inner border is hard to see in a photo. That tiny inside border is all medical formulas and abbreviations. The work isn't great on it, and the back of it is horrible. I didn't really know how to do counted cross stitch and this may actually have been only my first or second ever.
It's totally wonderful, Sunshine. You started on an advanced design--few people put their knowledge into stitches, and I love it when I see it. I've thought about doing one on microbes, but there are just too many charity quilts to do right now. I just took 6 more tops down to the Charity Bees closet and left one for the shopkeeper for letting the bees use her facility for their meeting and storage place.

And of course, left with a batch of pretty new fabrics for borders and a propeller quilt I'm thinking about doing. She had red fabrics with blue print that will surround the propellers for half price. I got enough to do at least 3 quilts or more. Red is such a good color for kids and also for wounded soldiers when added to blue.

Thanks. That pattern was floating around amongs the students when I was in school, but who has time to stitch when you are in nursing school! LOL. I 've kept it in my office for several years but recently rearranged some things here at home so I brought it home. My patients always have liked it.

At the pace you are going with quilts you will soon have made a quilt for everyone in the lower 48!

Last edited:

Thanks. That pattern was floating around amongs the students when I was in school, but who has time to stitch when you are in nursing school! LOL. I 've kept it in my office for several years but recently rearranged some things here at home so I brought it home. My patients always have liked it.

At the pace you are going with quilts you will soon have made a quilt for everyone in the lower 48!
There were some organizations online back during the time of Afghanistan/Iraq soldiers coming home with wounded whose goal was to make 70,000 quilts (everyone who did lots of quilts usually knew about it). They were too partisan, so I started making quilts for our state's people. In 3 years (my worst having fibromyalgia) my group made 36, of which I quilted all of them and did no other quilting due to difficulties with standing longer than 15 minutes at a time. We didn't do all we could, but we made our quilts larger because it was so cold up there in Wyoming where I lived at the time. After that, I didn't quilt another quilt for 2 or 3 years, except one more maybe, with difficulty. Quilting is still too hard, but I do the tops and send them to the Charity Bees closet, where small works get quilted and given to those in shelters, with a few quilted and sold at the Cabin to help raise money for batting so they can do that. Our outings are planned around quilt store visits to keep up the stash. I really should be using totally from the stash. :rolleyes:

That owning the quilt store was fun. I could cut from the bolt and not have to worry about having leftovers. I'd be in trouble if we still lived near the store. I let the girls run it at their leisure. Both are dedicated to making quilts for charity, and I told them to put that work ahead of profits. I've always thought there truth in the adage of "to whom much is given, much is expected." One of them sends me pictures every year of the beautiful things her students make in her classes and notes from their group. She is an award-winning quilter, many times over, and her love is for quilts of the eighteenth- and nineteenth centuries, especially antebellum and prairie eras. The other is Miss ****-and-span who keeps things clean and running smoothly, is teaching modern quilting techniques and repairing sewing machines. They're a dynamic duo, and I'm just glad they're deep into community service. Together, they're "Jewels of the Platte."

I love your counted cross stitch works, and the Diploma is a design I'd never seen anything like. Thanks again for sharing it! :)

Last edited:

There were some organizations online back during the time of Afghanistan/Iraq soldiers coming home with wounded whose goal was to make 70,000 quilts (everyone who did lots of quilts usually knew about it). They were too partisan, so I started making quilts for our state's people. In 3 years (my worst having fibromyalgia) my group made 36, of which I quilted all of them and did no other quilting due to difficulties with standing longer than 15 minutes at a time. We didn't do all we could, but we made our quilts larger because it was so cold up there in Wyoming where I lived at the time. After that, I didn't quilt another quilt for 2 or 3 years, except one more maybe, with difficulty. Quilting is still too hard, but I do the tops and send them to the Charity Bees closet, where small works get quilted and given to those in shelters, with a few quilted and sold at the Cabin to help raise money for batting so they can do that. Our outings are planned around quilt store visits to keep up the stash. I really should be using totally from the stash. :rolleyes:

That owning the quilt store was fun. I could cut from the bolt and not have to worry about having leftovers. I'd be in trouble if we still lived near the store. I let the girls run it at their leisure. Both are dedicated to making quilts for charity, and I told them to put that work ahead of profits. I've always thought there truth in the adage of "to whom much is given, much is expected." One of them sends me pictures every year of the beautiful things her students make in her classes and notes from their group. She is an award-winning quilter, many times over, and her love is for quilts of the eighteenth- and nineteenth centuries, especially antebellum and prairie eras. The other is Miss ****-and-span who keeps things clean and running smoothly, is teaching modern quilting techniques and repairing sewing machines. They're a dynamic duo, and I'm just glad they're deep into community service. Together, they're "Jewels of the Platte."

I love your counted cross stitch works, and the Diploma is a design I'd never seen anything like. Thanks again for sharing it! :)

Wow. That's really an amazing amount of work. I will finish a block today and I've started my countdown! I'll never forget my mother unfolding that quilt top and saying "Oh, look at all that pretty cross stitch." She was just in awe of it. I never saw her do that kind of work, but she did teach me how. I have a dresser scarf my sister made when was a girl that was a kitten design. I did a couple of dresser scarfs while I was engaged. I found the (real) linen scarfs with the design stamped on. I do know where those are and will try to pull them out and post a pic. I don't think they are great work, but they have semtimental value. I did use them for several years.

Last edited:
Wow. That's really an amazing amount of work. I will finish a block today and I've started my countdown! I'll never forget my mother unfolding that quilt top and saying "Oh, look at all that pretty cross stitch." She was just in awe of it. I never saw her do that kind of work, but she did teach me how. I have a dresser scarf my sister made when was a girl that was a kitten design. I did a couple of dresser scarfs while I was engaged. I found the (real) linen scarfs with the design stamped on. I do know where those are and will try to pull them out and post a pic. I don't think they are great work, but they have semtimental value. I did use them for several years.
I look forward to seeing them, Sunshine. Today, I took a long winter's nap. It's so good to be finished with the year's work, I just needed a little extra sleep.

Tomorrow, it's a new day, and the year ahead will be filled with a lot of fun projects. I found my green 1.5" strips over the last few days. There are a pile of more of them somewhere, but that's yet to find. I've also got a slight stash of green precuts but couldn't find the organizer. It's around somewhere.

I look forward to seeing them, Sunshine. Today, I took a long winter's nap. It's so good to be finished with the year's work, I just needed a little extra sleep.

Tomorrow, it's a new day, and the year ahead will be filled with a lot of fun projects. I found my green 1.5" strips over the last few days. There are a pile of more of them somewhere, but that's yet to find. I've also got a slight stash of green precuts but couldn't find the organizer. It's around somewhere.

Well, that makes me feel better about not being able to find half the stuff I look for! LOL

Yes, tomorrow is a new year. 2012 is the year the cardiologist told me I wouldn't have. But thanks to Vanderbilt I did have. It is strange what kind of things facilitate tracking progress with what I have. With my insurance I get 90 days of medication and supplies at a very economical rate, for me if not for the insurance company. But when you get 4 huge boxes of stuff there has to be some organization in order to know if you got it all. And you have to know because if you didn't then you try to get the rest of it in 2 months it's a new charge. So, I take 1 gallon plastic bags and organize each pump change per bag, number them, and store them downstairs. At first, it would take me 3 hitches, I mean 3 different weekends, to get 45 bags counted out. Now, I do that in just about an hour with no fatigue and wonder why it was so hard at first. This next year will be my last at 'public' work. I started my own business about 3 years ago, but haven't done anything with it, so I would like to pick that up, as I now have it sorted out in my mind exactly what I want to do.

Anyway, happy new year, and I hope 2013 is happy, healthy, and prosperous for your and yours! In my own case, I will just be happay to stay alive! LOL

Those quilts are sensational. Since my husband's untimely death several years ago, I have slept under and electric blanket year round. But I remember when I was a girl I had to have 1 blanket and 2 quilts. Not that I was actually cold with only one quilt, but I just didn't think I was warm without the added weight of the second quilt! LOL. Now, I'm still weird about my bed as flannel sheets are a MUST have in the winter. I just can't sleep on regular sheets in winter even with the electric blanket.

Last edited:

Well, that makes me feel better about not being able to find half the stuff I look for! LOL

Yes, tomorrow is a new year. 2012 is the year the cardiologist told me I wouldn't have. But thanks to Vanderbilt I did have. It is strange what kind of things facilitate tracking progress with what I have. With my insurance I get 90 days of medication and supplies at a very economical rate, for me if not for the insurance company. But when you get 4 huge boxes of stuff there has to be some organization in order to know if you got it all. And you have to know because if you didn't then you try to get the rest of it in 2 months it's a new charge. So, I take 1 gallon plastic bags and organize each pump change per bag, number them, and store them downstairs. At first, it would take me 3 hitches, I mean 3 different weekends, to get 45 bags counted out. Now, I do that in just about an hour with no fatigue and wonder why it was so hard at first. This next year will be my last at 'public' work. I started my own business about 3 years ago, but haven't done anything with it, so I would like to pick that up, as I now have it sorted out in my mind exactly what I want to do.

Anyway, happy new year, and I hope 2013 is happy, healthy, and prosperous for your and yours! In my own case, I will just be happay to stay alive! LOL

Those quilts are sensational. Since my husband's untimely death several years ago, I have slept under and electric blanket year round. But I remember when I was a girl I had to have 1 blanket and 2 quilts. Not that I was actually cold with only one quilt, but I just didn't think I was warm without the added weight of the second quilt! LOL. Now, I'm still weird about my bed as flannel sheets are a MUST have in the winter. I just can't sleep on regular sheets in winter even with the electric blanket.
Thanks, Sunshine. I love flannel, but flannel doesn't love me. It takes the modicum of moisture from feet and hands, which itch, so I just use regular sheets. And I'm happy you made it through the year, and hope you continue defying the odds with visualization and the knowledge that if anybody can beat a condition, it's you! :)

Not only did I sleep a lot of yesterday away, I got a great night's sleep too, getting up bright and early to start and finish another points of light quilt. Some of the time spent on the last one was constructing over a hundred centers of red and light, then another 25 all-red centers for a couple more of points of light quilts. The last one had 17 logs, this one only has 13 including the center, so it only took until around noon from really early this morning. Since I posted the bigger one a couple of pages back, here are 3 scans showing border, points, and description label for this one:

Attachments

• $Small Points of Light 40x54 Red Quilt1.jpg
    $Small Points of Light 40x54 Red Quilt1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 35
  • $Small Points of Light 40x54 Red Quilt2.jpg
    $Small Points of Light 40x54 Red Quilt2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 36
  • $Small Points of Light 40x54 Red Quilt3.jpg
    $Small Points of Light 40x54 Red Quilt3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 41

Thanks, Sunshine. I love flannel, but flannel doesn't love me. It takes the modicum of moisture from feet and hands, which itch, so I just use regular sheets. And I'm happy you made it through the year, and hope you continue defying the odds with visualization and the knowledge that if anybody can beat a condition, it's you! :)

Not only did I sleep a lot of yesterday away, I got a great night's sleep too, getting up bright and early to start and finish another points of light quilt. Some of the time spent on the last one was constructing over a hundred centers of red and light, then another 25 all-red centers for a couple more of points of light quilts. The last one had 17 logs, this one only has 13 including the center, so it only took until around noon from really early this morning. Since I posted the bigger one a couple of pages back, here are 3 scans showing border, points, and description label for this one:

Wow! You are truly an artist. And your spatial reasoning must be off the map!

Sometimes one just has to stay in bed all day. When my kids were in college and I work working 3 jobs, I did that when I could. One day my boss asked me what I had done the day before. When I told him I had just stayed in bed all day he said 'why.' I said, 'because I was tired!' In those days the goal was to just get enough rest so I can work. Now, while I might enjoy staying in bed and I might want to, the goal is to get everything done that I had planned to do. People have always told me that I work too hard, and my response has been 'I can rest when I'm dead.' Well that's still true.

Sometimes one just has to stay in bed all day. When my kids were in college and I work working 3 jobs, I did that when I could. One day my boss asked me what I had done the day before. When I told him I had just stayed in bed all day he said 'why.' I said, 'because I was tired!' In those days the goal was to just get enough rest so I can work. Now, while I might enjoy staying in bed and I might want to, the goal is to get everything done that I had planned to do. People have always told me that I work too hard, and my response has been 'I can rest when I'm dead.' Well that's still true.
Prayers up! :eusa_angel: I know you're going to be heading off to work really soon, so I wanted to get something up in green to let you know how inspired I am over your lovely work, Sunshine! The first green one will be super simple--only the darks will vary and the lights will be from a fabric purchased by my business from the RJR Company sometime during the shop's first 3 or 4 years, and possibly the second. It's been over 25 years since I opened, and I saved 2 or 3 yards of this precious green fabric (probably 3). I made window displays at the old place, and it took exactly 3 yards to cover the shelf space just below it. The windows were changed on an average of once per month, and this fabric may have been used for an Easter window or something. I was surprised to find it this morning, and decided to do one easy green points of light quilt. It's not much of a start but 8 of these will be the points, and the left over one will just go into the next quilt, maybe. I always like an extra one in case I go to the store to find fabrics that look good with some of the other fabrics in the quilt, and what better than one of the blocks. Anyway, I hate that this is the ugly duckling stage, but I wanted to post progress on the green points of light right away before you hustle back to work and can't post for awhile as you balance life with work.

Here goes (and I have a lot of green squares to make tomorrow that are full of darker green prints, of which not one of the 16 blocks has been started yet except to cut a long green center strip):

Attachments

• $Point of Lights Green Quilt1 .jpg
    $Point of Lights Green Quilt1 .jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 43
  • $Point of Lights Green Quilt2 .jpg
    $Point of Lights Green Quilt2 .jpg
    80 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Prayers up! :eusa_angel: I know you're going to be heading off to work really soon, so I wanted to get something up in green to let you know how inspired I am over your lovely work, Sunshine! The first green one will be super simple--only the darks will vary and the lights will be from a fabric purchased by my business from the RJR Company sometime during the shop's first 3 or 4 years, and possibly the second. It's been over 25 years since I opened, and I saved 2 or 3 yards of this precious green fabric (probably 3). I made window displays at the old place, and it took exactly 3 yards to cover the shelf space just below it. The windows were changed on an average of once per month, and this fabric may have been used for an Easter window or something. I was surprised to find it this morning, and decided to do one easy green points of light quilt. It's not much of a start but 8 of these will be the points, and the left over one will just go into the next quilt, maybe. I always like an extra one in case I go to the store to find fabrics that look good with some of the other fabrics in the quilt, and what better than one of the blocks. Anyway, I hate that this is the ugly duckling stage, but I wanted to post progress on the green points of light right away before you hustle back to work and can't post for awhile as you balance life with work.

Here goes (and I have a lot of green squares to make tomorrow that are full of darker green prints, of which not one of the 16 blocks has been started yet except to cut a long green center strip):

I'm off today, for the NY holiday and I'm really glad!

That is beautiful, it will make a very pretty quilt. Now, I think about it, I don't recall seeing any quilts in green. My friend I went to visit in DC in the spring had her bedroom painted a pale green and she put her white bed and white drapes in it. It is beautiful and is just dreamy looking with only the street lights shining in the window. The rest of her condo is the same pale green, but this one room has such a surreal look to it.

Many years ago my husband and I did a house in pale green on the inside. I always liked the colors. I know a guy who has his den painted a green that is a bitl lighter than hunter green. It is a strong, remarkable color. And one of our clerks at work did her son's room in hunter green. Green is a wonderful color.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sunshine. I agree. But I didn't use to like green. My daughter put me on it when she asked me to make her a green quilt. I really didn't think I could do it, because it was for years the only color not in my wardrobe. So I made the quilt, and I could stick with it to the finish in spite of having 4,000 pieces. It was an uneven log cabin that from a distance looked like giant green scallops and was one of the prettiest quilts I ever did. Then I made another. Same deal. No problem finishing it, and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. Then I really got into it. I loved the friggen color. I made Irish chain quilts out the wazoo, a leprechaun quilt, three or four shamrock quilts, an Irish history of sayings quilt, and a green map of Ireland. Last year, I did more than 20 green quilts of the 100 charity ones. It's just a very, very pleasant color and a joy to work on.

I'm like the convert smoker who hated nonsmoking when it comes to green. EVERYBODY SHOULD LOVE GREEN, AND THEY SHOULD LOVE IT RIGHT NOW, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Was my conversion complete?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Green is my girl's favorite color.

Happy New Year, all. We're whipping out the embroidered dish towels for my mom; we came to my sister's for New Year's and discovered that my nephew's niece is a cross stitcher, so she grabbed a towel and has been working on it, and my daughter is also working on hers, so we have 3 people stitching away. The little cross stitcher works fast, too. I have 3 completed and two more will be finished today. My daughter's work is beautiful; the wonderful thing about these towels is the patterns are largely one stitch and just a few colors; great for beginners. She's working on a towel with the word 'SUNDAY' and a rose printed...3 colors, one stitch.

Here you go, Beckums. This is one end. They are identical on both ends and I made two. It just struck me that I made these almost half a century ago. It seems like just yesterday. It was just a stamped pattern but it was on linen.

Squirrel002_zps8199890d.jpg

My son started to Georgia Tech while I was in graduate school. If I had not been in grad school and half way through on scholarship, I think I would have just enrolled at Tech with him and taken Textile Engineering. Textiles fascinate me. I love those shows where they have dug up people and the textiles are still intact. I love color theory, dyes, etc. Did you know that there is a national color council that decides what colors will be 'in' each year. That's why something you buy this year won't work with something you buy next year.

I didn't know there was such a thing as Textile Engineering until I went with my son to enroll in an engineering program.

Green is my girl's favorite color.

Happy New Year, all. We're whipping out the embroidered dish towels for my mom; we came to my sister's for New Year's and discovered that my nephew's niece is a cross stitcher, so she grabbed a towel and has been working on it, and my daughter is also working on hers, so we have 3 people stitching away. The little cross stitcher works fast, too. I have 3 completed and two more will be finished today. My daughter's work is beautiful; the wonderful thing about these towels is the patterns are largely one stitch and just a few colors; great for beginners. She's working on a towel with the word 'SUNDAY' and a rose printed...3 colors, one stitch.
My daughter loved lavender. By the time I assembled her bedroom suite, and had it ready for her, she had lost interest after a couple of months. :dunno: I really got to liking it. Later on, she started loving green. If I wasn't crazy about it, she had to be, I think. :lmao:

After all those years running the quilt store and helping people get in touch with colors they and their loved ones liked, I got to be a fan of just about every color, hue, tint, shade and neutral known to paintbrush.

Every season seems to have its own colors.

Your girls sound like accomplished needlewomen! Their mom and aunt, too! Hope we see some pictures.

Last edited:
Here you go, Beckums. This is one end. They are identical on both ends and I made two. It just struck me that I made these almost half a century ago. It seems like just yesterday. It was just a stamped pattern but it was on linen.

I love it! Counted cross stitch just talks to me. *sigh*

I love it! Counted cross stitch just talks to me. *sigh*

I remember my mother thinking those colors were stupid. But' I've always liked those hues on the linen. In fact, I've been looking for more stamped linen. I found a 'vintage' one on eBay for 30 bucks. Would buy it and stitch it if I could be sure it didn't smell bad. I did order some stamps and thought maybe I might just buy some linen.

Last edited:
After living in the Equality State for 35 years, those colors are like home to me. In Laramie there is this school...

Argyle-Plaid-University-Wyoming-Cowboys-Blanket.jpg
GalleryWyoming-500x328.png

Forum List

Back