Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Well, it's time to get ready for another day. I just couldn't find the red and white kite quilt I saw the other day but did not save. :evil: My bad.

I did find this, however, to prep me for the little red squares sitting on the sewing machine desk:

th

What the rest of the quilt looks like surprised even me, and it's artfully here: kite quilt | Fallingforpieces' Blog

See you in a dozen or so squares later... *sigh!!!*​

From time to time, I sew with a charity group and have little identification embroideries attached to them like a ribbon. It wouldn't take all that much to sew a little one-inch square filled with rosemary leaves, ginger, lavender (there's a much longer list on the above link). The cat will learn to associate the smell with the scissors and perhaps make the educated decision that it is not desirable for him to practice selective larcenies against your scissors. Just sayin,' so it doesn't happen to you again. :eusa_whistle:

I don't know why, but I CARE!!!! :lmao:

You see how nuts it drives me. That's why. LOL. I will definitely get some rosemary onto those scissors and the gold ones too. I knew when the second pair disappeared she was going to take whatever had the most scent on it the way she did my jewelry. It is pretty freaky to see a cat running across the floor with a gold necklace in its mouth! If she could get that, I knew she could get the scissors. I love the scent of rosemary anyway.

From time to time, I sew with a charity group and have little identification embroideries attached to them like a ribbon. It wouldn't take all that much to sew a little one-inch square filled with rosemary leaves, ginger, lavender (there's a much longer list on the above link). The cat will learn to associate the smell with the scissors and perhaps make the educated decision that it is not desirable for him to practice selective larcenies against your scissors. Just sayin,' so it doesn't happen to you again. :eusa_whistle:

You see how nuts it drives me. That's why. LOL. I will definitely get some rosemary onto those scissors and the gold ones too. I knew when the second pair disappeared she was going to take whatever had the most scent on it the way she did my jewelry. It is pretty freaky to see a cat running across the floor with a gold necklace in its mouth! If she could get that, I knew she could get the scissors. I love the scent of rosemary anyway.
Our rosemary was the only plant that bloomed all winter long here. It's huge. I think it really benefitted from all the rain.

Well, the frogs are singing a really loud chorus out the back window. My bedroom is on the opposite side, so if the cicadas haven't started their din, I might get some decent sleep. I noticed when I take one melatonin, I sleep all night. If I take two, I wake up four hours early. Only a few red squares got sewn together today. We got 5 huge monster trees removed that were threatening fences today. A man just drove up and offered my sweetie a good deal last week. For some reason, he came back today and did the deed. That's one less worry. I have prayers of thanks tonight, so I better go.

Hope Ms. Cat gets the picture about leaving your scissors alone and learns to settle for a little scratch behind the ears now and then as you do tasks you have to do. :)

'Nite.

500 postage stamp quilts later, sewn individually...

Took 4 pics. There are also already 4 inner borders and 123 logs in the center "maple leaf." This is such a little quilt (still have to do borders), and it's been nothing but work, fret, work, fret, work ... But! I love it because I just love making red quilts. Red quilts turn a room into a rose garden it seems, this one is just so lovely to work with, although it has been painstaking.

Attachments

• $19 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    $19 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 43
  • $16 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    $16 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 46
  • $18 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    $18 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 44
One more picture, see if I can get a clearer one of the leaf in the center, too, BRB.

Done! I just laid it on the scanner at a 45 degree angle (scan 20) There is sometimes a description of the block scanned if you mouse over the top of any of the thumbnails, and if you click on it, the thumbnail opens in another window to show details of the work. There are over 500 squares and over 100 logs in this work, and the border will be worked tomorrow, more days if I decide to do more squares.

Good night, everyone. Praying for all the Americans who were made homeless by tornados and disasters, and hope all are safe tonight. :huddle:

Attachments

• $17 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    $17 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 43
  • $20 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    $20 Red Maples of New Hampshire Corner, 500 Squares stage.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 47
Same designer has posted several free tutorials for people who need to make quilted gifts fast:

Go back to the link and click on the tissues (or any gift-ette that appeals to you, and you can make quickie gifts to please friends and loved ones. :)

Here's the location again: BLONDE DESIGN: Postage Stamp Doll Quilt

Her whole blog is way wonderful! :)

This morning: Done! :woohoo:

It's small, measuring only about 38x48"- 40x50" (always a little extra due to stretching during basting and quilting).

But hopefully, the reds will cheer its recipient up for the Charity Bees quilt group that distributes small quilts for hugs babies, small and large children at the shelter, seniors, veterans, and wherever the community has a need.

Here are 3 border scans--two of corners, and one along one of the long sides:

Attachments

• $23 Red Maples of New Hampshire Outer Border.jpg
    $23 Red Maples of New Hampshire Outer Border.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 44
  • $22 Red Maples of New Hampshire Outer Border.jpg
    $22 Red Maples of New Hampshire Outer Border.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 51
  • $21 Red Maples of New Hampshire Outer Border.jpg
    $21 Red Maples of New Hampshire Outer Border.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 54

Our rosemary was the only plant that bloomed all winter long here. It's huge. I think it really benefitted from all the rain.

Well, the frogs are singing a really loud chorus out the back window. My bedroom is on the opposite side, so if the cicadas haven't started their din, I might get some decent sleep. I noticed when I take one melatonin, I sleep all night. If I take two, I wake up four hours early. Only a few red squares got sewn together today. We got 5 huge monster trees removed that were threatening fences today. A man just drove up and offered my sweetie a good deal last week. For some reason, he came back today and did the deed. That's one less worry. I have prayers of thanks tonight, so I better go.

Hope Ms. Cat gets the picture about leaving your scissors alone and learns to settle for a little scratch behind the ears now and then as you do tasks you have to do. :)

'Nite.

LOL. The rosemary, the sage, and the parsley both come back after the winter. Everything else has to be planted fresh each year. I expected to lose everything last year, what with the drought. Every plant I owned suffered last year. But I kept 23 hydrangeas, 3 boxwoods, and 1 blue spruce alive. One blue spruce is all that perished. Our water system, really a community well, just sucks so people go nuts when they see you water your lawn. I don't water the grass, but I'm not letting hundreds of dollars worth of bushes die. This year, I got some 'soaker hoses' so I can water them on the sly. I usually wait until evening, that way people aren't doing laundry etc.

'Nite.

LOL. The rosemary, the sage, and the parsley both come back after the winter. Everything else has to be planted fresh each year. I expected to lose everything last year, what with the drought. Every plant I owned suffered last year. But I kept 23 hydrangeas, 3 boxwoods, and 1 blue spruce alive. One blue spruce is all that perished. Our water system, really a community well, just sucks so people go nuts when they see you water your lawn. I don't water the grass, but I'm not letting hundreds of dollars worth of bushes die. This year, I got some 'soaker hoses' so I can water them on the sly. I usually wait until evening, that way people aren't doing laundry etc.
Soaker hoses make really good sense. It's too bad you don't have a timer. Then you could start watering at 3 am and finish by 4:30, before most people wake up to start their showers for work, etc. Some areas of the country are susceptible to fungal plant diseases if certain plants are watered at night, so the panacea is to water early in the morning, so the plants get a nice long drink to withstand the heat of summer days.

Soaker hoses were a brilliant choice, Sunshine. Kudos. I'm sure they prevent 90% of the evaporation squirting hoses lose, probably more. A few plants in the botanical kingdom like water on their leaves, like ferns, et al, but other than that most plants get all they need through root systems, unless they have multiple means of obtaining water when nature is putting all of life to the test. The bark of some trees are patterned to bring the flow of even scant precipitation into channels where the roots can benefit the best collection of precious water for sustenance.

Calling someone a vegetating plant in frustration isn't cognizant that actually, plants are smarter than we give them credit when it comes to preservation of themselves. Well, enough of my :blahblah: prattle. The best time to start another quilt is when you're high from completing the last one. It's true. When you complete the long task of devoted work it requires to complete a quilt, I think the brain gives you a few extra endorphins for your trouble, and you feel a little high, even more so when you complete the quilting and binding, which I did for years before becoming such a recluse due to the misfortune of fibromyalgia's ranting pains through your body when you least appreciate it.

:huddle:

'Nite.

Soaker hoses make really good sense. It's too bad you don't have a timer. Then you could start watering at 3 am and finish by 4:30, before most people wake up to start their showers for work, etc. Some areas of the country are susceptible to fungal plant diseases if certain plants are watered at night, so the panacea is to water early in the morning, so the plants get a nice long drink to withstand the heat of summer days.

Soaker hoses were a brilliant choice, Sunshine. Kudos. I'm sure they prevent 90% of the evaporation squirting hoses lose, probably more. A few plants in the botanical kingdom like water on their leaves, like ferns, et al, but other than that most plants get all they need through root systems, unless they have multiple means of obtaining water when nature is putting all of life to the test. The bark of some trees are patterned to bring the flow of even scant precipitation into channels where the roots can benefit the best collection of precious water for sustenance.

Calling someone a vegetating plant in frustration isn't cognizant that actually, plants are smarter than we give them credit when it comes to preservation of themselves. Well, enough of my :blahblah: prattle. The best time to start another quilt is when you're high from completing the last one. It's true. When you complete the long task of devoted work it requires to complete a quilt, I think the brain gives you a few extra endorphins for your trouble, and you feel a little high, even more so when you complete the quilting and binding, which I did for years before becoming such a recluse due to the misfortune of fibromyalgia's ranting pains through your body when you least appreciate it.

Yes, plants are good at self preservation. I'm always kind of amazed at how twining plants go for the exact thing that will allow them to grow in height. It is through plants that you can see how self affirming life really is. Example: My mother had the entire perimeter of our house edged in what she called 'tame violets.' They were not the white or light color you see growing wild, but were a very deep purple. I went back to that house 4 or 5 years ago and all I found still there were 3 little ones growing in the yard. I dug them up and planted them by my back step off the deck. The three always came back year to year, but only produced one additional that somehow got into my herb garden. It is off those that were my mother's, so it gets to live. LAST year, was the worst drought this part of the country has seen in many a year. Amazingly, in addition to the original 3 and 1 offspring, there is now a patch of them coming up that is a little more than a foot square. I will soon have plenty for transplant purposes.

Last edited:

Yes, plants are good at self preservation. I'm always kind of amazed at how twining plants go for the exact thing that will allow them to grow in height. It is through plants that you can see how self affirming life really is. Example: My mother had the entire perimeter of our house edged in what she called 'tame violets.' They were not the white or light color you see growing wild, but were a very deep purple. I went back to that house 4 or 5 years ago and all I found still there were 3 little ones growing in the yard. I dug them up and planted them by my back step off the deck. The three always came back year to year, but only produced one additional that somehow got into my herb garden. It is off those that were my mother's, so it gets to live. LAST year, was the worst drought this part of the country has seen in many a year. Amazingly, in addition to the original 3 and 1 offspring, there is now a patch of them coming up that is a little more than a foot square. I will soon have plenty for transplant purposes.
I'm glad you got survivors of your mother's violets, and hope you get to see them surround your home if that's what you want. I understand that they are biannuals, and you must have a very special breed that replicates the same color which makes them some kind of a specie category, which they may have been when she planted them. Because by now, you are seeing seeded ones, unless your region has a way of causing those to be perennials. I had bought some light blue ones that came up for about 5 years in my yard in a garden area, but they disappeared after I went into business, and my 80-hour a week tasks kept me out of the garden and gave me a proverbial brown thumb. :( I hope somehow, and some way you can get a picture of your mother's purple violets. I love them so, and it would mean a lot if you could do that. I even designed a pansy quilt (big relative to violets) and gave it to my sister in the hopes I'd one day get to see it again. Unfortunately, by the time I had half the blocks done, I noticed a total anomaly in the design and dubbed the quilt "The Anatomically Incorrect Pansy Quilt" and to make matters worse than ever, it turned out to be a King sized quilt. Oh, bwahahahahaha!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nobody failed to identify my idiot block as a pansy, though. /whew! OR they were just too polite to say anything.

Last edited:
I thought this subject was finished for life, until I went back to the quilt room and noticed how very, very small the quilt seemed. So when I cut fabric for a back and some flannel for batting, I was subconsciously giving plenty of room to make the quilt a little larger, I guess. Talk about fuzzy math! I do it well lately. :) Anyway, I added yet one more border to take up some of the space on the backing and add another year or so to the child's use, unless it goes to a baby huey or something.

I had some Hoffman red maple gilded from my shop in Wyoming, brought when I went back to pick up paperwork and stuff from my quilt room at the shop. It's one of the most beautiful red maple fabric ever printed by anyone anywhere, but it fell flat in gold-aspen-leaf-loving Wyoming since only prairie fire bush is red in the fall and not considered very beautiful, although it is to the artist painting a Wyoming fall if they're lucky enough to find a hill it's growing on for a subject. Furthermore, it snows on top of a lot of fall color if it is silly enough to turn following fluffy precipitation in a year of early snows. Well, anyway, I added the sum total of 5 inches to the horizontal measurement and 6.5 inches to the vertical length. Oh, my gracious goodness. The little 4' pecan seedling I had planted in the back yard is now up to about 6' tall, and almost twice the diameter with little or no care given it. We also had 2 of 6 pecans in the orchard that leafed out, but one is not as healthy as the other, and neither are as leafy as the one in the back yard because they're a year younger.

Pardon the off topic stuff, I just opened the back window to let some sunshine in. :rolleyes: Good reason to talk about nothing in particular, prolly! :)

Might as well post the 3 thumbnails of the extra border on this never-ending little quilt which now has a total of 7 borders--4 inner ones and 3 outer ones.

bright red maple leaves
covering New Hampshire's woods
prettiest of all​

Attachments

• $24 Red Maples of New Hampshire Final Border at side.jpg
    $24 Red Maples of New Hampshire Final Border at side.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 45
  • $25 Red Maples of New Hampshire Final Border Label.jpg
    $25 Red Maples of New Hampshire Final Border Label.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 42
  • $26 Red Maples of New Hampshire Final Border Corner.jpg
    $26 Red Maples of New Hampshire Final Border Corner.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 47

I'm glad you got survivors of your mother's violets, and hope you get to see them surround your home if that's what you want. I understand that they are biannuals, and you must have a very special breed that replicates the same color which makes them some kind of a specie category, which they may have been when she planted them. Because by now, you are seeing seeded ones, unless your region has a way of causing those to be perennials. I had bought some light blue ones that came up for about 5 years in my yard in a garden area, but they disappeared after I went into business, and my 80-hour a week tasks kept me out of the garden and gave me a proverbial brown thumb. :( I hope somehow, and some way you can get a picture of your mother's purple violets. I love them so, and it would mean a lot if you could do that. I even designed a pansy quilt (big relative to violets) and gave it to my sister in the hopes I'd one day get to see it again. Unfortunately, by the time I had half the blocks done, I noticed a total anomaly in the design and dubbed the quilt "The Anatomically Incorrect Pansy Quilt" and to make matters worse than ever, it turned out to be a King sized quilt. Oh, bwahahahahaha!!!!!

Nobody failed to identify my idiot block as a pansy, though. /whew! OR they were just too polite to say anything.

OMG, that's funny. These bloomed every year when I was growing up and they have bloomed every year here at this place. I don't know why they are as thick as hops now, when all I've had since 2007 have been the original plants. I got some rose of sharon (althea) from her place too, but it didn't make it. Not a problem I didn't realy like those anyway. The blooms look a bit like hybiscus and they draw bees. When I was a girl a neighbor girl and I used to watch for a bee to go in one that wasn't fully opened. Then we would trap the bee and throw it into my dad's workshop. How we are still alive beats the heck out of me. My friends and I ran the hills and woods and rivers like wild wolf children!

OMG, that's funny. These bloomed every year when I was growing up and they have bloomed every year here at this place. I don't know why they are as thick as hops now, when all I've had since 2007 have been the original plants. I got some rose of sharon (althea) from her place too, but it didn't make it. Not a problem I didn't realy like those anyway. The blooms look a bit like hybiscus and they draw bees. When I was a girl a neighbor girl and I used to watch for a bee to go in one that wasn't fully opened. Then we would trap the bee and throw it into my dad's workshop. How we are still alive beats the heck out of me. My friends and I ran the hills and woods and rivers like wild wolf children!
Why they are thick as hops? Well, I'm not a great believer in ghosts, but maybe your mother is sending you her retirement gift to you to let you know how totally proud she is of all the good you did with your career and taking care of your family. A mother's love knows no bounds. :huddle:

Why they are thick as hops? Well, I'm not a great believer in ghosts, but maybe your mother is sending you her retirement gift to you to let you know how totally proud she is of all the good you did with your career and taking care of your family. A mother's love knows no bounds. :huddle:

:) Thanks. I cleared the PM box out now.

Oh to see your purple violets, Sunshine! *sigh*

I did find a "Grandmother's Violets" quilt that reminds me of a Pam Bono design, just because of her technique of making what looks like applique actually being pieced together geometrically into a quilt, which is her style, if this is not a virtual copy... I only have 15 of her books, a couple of duplicates in soft-bound volumes just in case I want to tear a book up for artistic purposes, which I can't bring myself to do.

Grandmother's Garden
Raffled for Charity or Sold...
"81x110 - purple, white, green - machine pieced by Jeanette Harder, beautifully hand quilted by MCC Volunteers in Newton, Kansas - sold at the MCC Sale in Houston, Texas, November, 2001 "

violet.jpg

Source: Jeanette's 2001 Quilt Page

Oh to see your purple violets, Sunshine! *sigh*

I did find a "Grandmother's Violets" quilt that reminds me of a Pam Bono design, just because of her technique of making what looks like applique actually being pieced together geometrically into a quilt, which is her style, if this is not a virtual copy... I only have 15 of her books, a couple of duplicates in soft-bound volumes just in case I want to tear a book up for artistic purposes, which I can't bring myself to do.

Grandmother's Garden
Raffled for Charity or Sold...
"81x110 - purple, white, green - machine pieced by Jeanette Harder, beautifully hand quilted by MCC Volunteers in Newton, Kansas - sold at the MCC Sale in Houston, Texas, November, 2001 "

violet.jpg

Source: Jeanette's 2001 Quilt Page

Rep for that, but I've gotta spread it around first. What kind of pink bug is that in your avatar?

The pretty in pink bug is found in Ireland and Great Britain, and it is commonly called the Elephant Hawk-Moth. Its Latin name is Deilephila elpenor, which likely means the same thing. I have a few more pictures that show other angles--it's a kind of gold and pink creature. :)

Attachments

• $$ Deilephila elpenor2.jpg
    $$ Deilephila elpenor2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 47
  • $$ Deilephilia e.jpg
    $$ Deilephilia e.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 46
  • $$ deilep elpenor.jpg
    $$ deilep elpenor.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
One guy who loves them has a whole page full of their pictures, upclose and personal, but they are copyrighted, so I'm not transferring them, but will send you to Joseph Hasleck's page. The pictures are huge closeups if you click on the thumbs. He's truly a good photographer. It's well worth your time to see them.

Forum List

Back