Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

The pretty in pink bug is found in Ireland and Great Britain, and it is commonly called the Elephant Hawk-Moth. Its Latin name is Deilephila elpenor, which likely means the same thing. I have a few more pictures that show other angles--it's a kind of gold and pink creature. :)

They put me in mind of the willow flies we get here on the lake only they are generally green. We are not good at predicting when they will come, but you can count on them covering everything in sight for a few days each year. I'm told they make good fish bait. But since I don't fish, they can't claim that redeeming quality with me.

The pretty in pink bug is found in Ireland and Great Britain, and it is commonly called the Elephant Hawk-Moth. Its Latin name is Deilephila elpenor, which likely means the same thing. I have a few more pictures that show other angles--it's a kind of gold and pink creature. :)

They put me in mind of the willow flies we get here on the lake only they are generally green. We are not good at predicting when they will come, but you can count on them covering everything in sight for a few days each year. I'm told they make good fish bait. But since I don't fish, they can't claim that redeeming quality with me.
What an enchanting name. I binged them, and realized they're the same beastie we call mayflies. We used to see them in the summertime at Lake Houston when we went camping the minute school was out. They were everywhere one year.

Oh to see your purple violets, Sunshine! *sigh*

I did find a "Grandmother's Violets" quilt that reminds me of a Pam Bono design, just because of her technique of making what looks like applique actually being pieced together geometrically into a quilt, which is her style, if this is not a virtual copy... I only have 15 of her books, a couple of duplicates in soft-bound volumes just in case I want to tear a book up for artistic purposes, which I can't bring myself to do.

Grandmother's Garden
Raffled for Charity or Sold...
"81x110 - purple, white, green - machine pieced by Jeanette Harder, beautifully hand quilted by MCC Volunteers in Newton, Kansas - sold at the MCC Sale in Houston, Texas, November, 2001 "

violet.jpg

Source: Jeanette's 2001 Quilt Page

Rep for that, but I've gotta spread it around first. What kind of pink bug is that in your avatar?
Love Lavender!!!!!!!

Just a little progress yesterday, but not on kites. I had more DLC blocks and made 10 more. I had so much outside work to do, that's all that's been done for a couple of days. That sun is good for what ails you. :)

Turning Colors, Double Log Cabin blocks made yesterday:

Attachments

• $Turning Yellow.jpg
    $Turning Yellow.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 62
  • $Turning Brown.jpg
    $Turning Brown.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 56
  • $Turning Cloissone.jpg
    $Turning Cloissone.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 54
Three more of 10:

Attachments

• $Turning Music Notes.jpg
    $Turning Music Notes.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
  • $Turning Lime.jpg
    $Turning Lime.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52
  • $Turning Dots.jpg
    $Turning Dots.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 70
The last three, and it's off to bed. I'm so tired after using muscles not used since last summer yesterday. Hope everybody has a great day. When I get up, I have 2 more blocks and sashings to do.

Oh, yes, I did find my Pam Bono book, "Big Book of Quick Rotary Cutter Quilts," and the pattern for the violets quilt is on page 100 of the 320-page tome. Pam Bono is a prolific designer, and the ideas in her book are just out of this world, imho. I got a hard cover and a soft cover book. She does all the layout work, cutting instructions, and yardage figuring for you, and has a regular school approach to her wonderful original designs, which you won't find anywhere else. ;)

Attachments

• $Turning Red and Pink.jpg
    $Turning Red and Pink.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 63
  • $Turning red white and bllue.jpg
    $Turning red white and bllue.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 59
  • $Turning Turquoise.jpg
    $Turning Turquoise.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 53
Oh to see your purple violets, Sunshine! *sigh*

I did find a "Grandmother's Violets" quilt that reminds me of a Pam Bono design, just because of her technique of making what looks like applique actually being pieced together geometrically into a quilt, which is her style, if this is not a virtual copy... I only have 15 of her books, a couple of duplicates in soft-bound volumes just in case I want to tear a book up for artistic purposes, which I can't bring myself to do.

Grandmother's Garden
Raffled for Charity or Sold...
"81x110 - purple, white, green - machine pieced by Jeanette Harder, beautifully hand quilted by MCC Volunteers in Newton, Kansas - sold at the MCC Sale in Houston, Texas, November, 2001 "​

Rep for that, but I've gotta spread it around first. What kind of pink bug is that in your avatar?
Love Lavender!!!!!!!
oooo, I feel another Pbel masterpiece in the works--in lilting shades of light purple...

:)

These are gorgeous inspiration! I'm delving into the art of quilting and I absolutely love all of these patterns! ( That moth in your avatar is gorgeous too! )

Unfinished quilt top purchase

I made a bid on an ebay quilt on an old quilt from an estate that had never been finished. It came the other day:

She only had one area left to complete. The top is sunny, cheerful, very old, and was hand stitched. I will have to make at least 2 charity quilts with it, and will probably just add simple borders after unsewing boundaries and stitching borders on the resultant rectangles. We'll see how that turns out. I will also have large pieces leftover at one end, I think.

Well, it's far, far past my bedtime.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make his face to shine upon you
And give you peace.
The Lord lift his countenance upon you
And be gracious unto you.
Amen. :)

Attachments

• $evay.3 quilt purchased may 2013.jpg
    $evay.3 quilt purchased may 2013.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 35
  • $evay.2 quilt purchased may 2013.jpg
    $evay.2 quilt purchased may 2013.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 36
  • $ebay.1 quilt purchased may 2013.jpg
    $ebay.1 quilt purchased may 2013.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 38
Finally! 3 more done, and I'm on the joining of vertical sashes for the Turning colors, Double Log Cabin quilt top with blocks of 8" squares. There will be 4 across and 6 down with 2.5" sets and sashes that finish to 2" each. The 8" squares will finish to approximately 7.5" I have a rose-print made by Rose and Hubble when I was running my shop, and nobody bought this adorable print, so I preserved it carefully and it's ready to be the outer border and main part of the back, hopefully, depending on how much fabric is left following the border. :)

I have 2 horizontal rows of 4 squares done so far, but haven't done horizontal rows of sets and sashes in pink and jade green to match the pink and jade of the Rose and Hubble Print. I just dropped in to show the three of the last 5 double log cabin blocks. Scrolling over the thumbnails with the mouse pointer will bring up details about the turning colors of the block. Clicking the thumbnails will pull up a larger image to a new window, which is worth it if you are into detailed 2-dimensional textures created with fabrics. Quilters will know what that means as will mathematically-minded and other visual discriminators, whoever they might be.

Attachments

• $Turning Rust and Cream.jpg
    $Turning Rust and Cream.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 40
  • $Turning Shades of Blue.jpg
    $Turning Shades of Blue.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 36
  • $Turning Sunshine Blazes.jpg
    $Turning Sunshine Blazes.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
Eek! Close-up bug pictures.
I'd rather enjoy them from a distance LOL.
Well, when I went to 9th grade science class in SW TX town of Tilden, Mr. Ackerman gave incentives for students to collect one specimen from each of the phylums of bugs (seems there were 22), evidenced by our collections, so we spent weekends hunting and searching for different and sundry species of bugs. I liked the butterfly and moth group best, but we could only collect one. All I remember was the ugh factor, but it truly got me over my youthful fear and disgust of bugs. Some of them had metallic coloring, but most were different types of beetles, as I recall. My brother helped me because he knew girls were like me--hated bugs. I still didn't like them, but got over the fear and hatred of them on account of Mr. Ackerman's biology class. I love the visual aspects of butterflies in their winged stage, and their (order?) Lepidoptera includes moths, which sometimes appear in some of my avatars. I'm getting ready to change to an owl moth, but they are very neutral in color, but their markings are my idea of amazing textural interest. :) See ya! I gotta go get after the vertical sashes on the horizontal rows of the quilt I've just got to get done. Happy June!

All six of the vertical sashes on horizontal rows are complete! <huff, puff, huff, puff>

Here's a couple of scans of the six horizontal rows and a 2.5" unfinished set square that will go between the hot pink sashes. ;)

Attachments

• $Turning colors double log cabin one 2.5 in. set square of 35.jpg
    $Turning colors double log cabin one 2.5 in. set square of 35.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 51
  • $Turning colors double log cabin horizontal rows scan 2.jpg
    $Turning colors double log cabin horizontal rows scan 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 36
  • $Turning colors double log cabin horizontal rows scan 1.jpg
    $Turning colors double log cabin horizontal rows scan 1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 36
The day the above quilt was to have been finished, a 4-inch stack of red squares left over from the preceding quilt were noticed on the back of the sewing table. Therefore, the following 192-postage stamp piece was made, 12 rows by 16. (To have shown it right, I 4 scans should have been done, but only 3 slots for pictures here, so only 3 scans were made):

Oh, yes, and today, I'm still shaking grass off myself from mowing the grass. It rained early and hard last night, and by 2 pm, the grass had grown quite a lot in a week, so it was hard going on the small mower. I'd love to spend some time in front of the sewing machine, though. There's a quilter's meeting tonight... I'll have to ask myself the fibromyalgiac's question: "Do I want to catch a cold and spend the next 2 weeks in bed or not if I go out?" :doubt: I miss my friends. I haven't been to a meeting in over a year. :(

Attachments

• $just red postage stamps1.jpg
    $just red postage stamps1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 34
  • $just red postage stamps2.jpg
    $just red postage stamps2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 37
  • $just red postage stamps3.jpg
    $just red postage stamps3.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 36
The colors here make me happy.

I haven't done anything re: sewing or quilting...but I have been CANNING! It's a hoot! I want everybody to can!

I made tons of orange marmalade (maybe I already shared that...oh wait, no, I got banned the first time right before I did it), and I canned CHICKEN...yes, it's true. And I smoked a big old pork shoulder and it was the best smoked stuff I've ever eaten, I think!

I have not let my time-out go to waste...good to see you!

Welcome back, koshergrl. The canning sounds just wonderful! We've been eating out all winter due to my issues. I have to learn how to cook all over again, as the warm weather has been so good to my muscles for the last one day. I swear, this is the kind of spring I remember as a child--chilly and long, and the first of four years that I recall lasting through the first of June. Last three years, we were deep into different types of drought by June, and one year, there were 100 days of 100 degree weather here. We lost 50-year old trees that stand over 100 feet tall on our acreage, maybe 10 trees in all, and we didn't harvest much out of the garden in spite of watering like crazy. You just can't get good crops when the mercury stubbornly clings to over 100 degrees even in the darkest part of the night.

I'm hoping for a pleasant summer this year, with some good old-fashioned rainfall now and then to keep the well water high. :)

And don't worry about the quilt. There will be time for that when the kids fly the coop.

Thanks, Mr. H. I've been having dry eye syndrome and keep forgetting to take my lutein until my eyes feel like raw hamburger sometimes. Not much done in sewing room either.

Forum List

Back