Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Good morning Beckums~!
Yo, Sunshine!

Right after I hit post, I hit the dust for the sewing room to complete the 48-block log cabin in reds. I really had all done but the outside logs on most of the blocks, and only had to make one up from scratch. I probably set the 48th original block in my spare blocks pile unwittingly, which shows up from time to time between two pieces of fabric. hahahaha So much for my disorganization, but when you do 100 quilt tops in a year, and you're not Wonder Woman, stuff happens.

I made this red one a little bit larger than normal--it measures 58x72" more or less, because of the awful tornado that plowed a 2-mile strip through the heart of some Oklahoma City suburbs and destroyed two schools there.

Yesterday at cut ups group, our Guild president said there was a call for our guild to furnish some ice cream cone quilts, so I realized my kite project, with its super 1/8" thick Plexiglas forms would be perfect for the waffle cones, and I always keep basketweave-look fabrics around, many of which are the same color as the waffle cones you see at Baskins-Robbins Ice Cream Stores. It should be nothing to transform a kite bottom into a cone and with a modicum of figuring, make rows and rows of ice cream cones for a child's quilt to help the children deal with their traumas. I'm also going to designate and hope the girls find it in their hearts to quilt some of the tops I make larger for families who lost all their furnishings to the tornados a couple of weeks back.

I'm so revved, I may just leave here and go back to the machine and set to it, but not before I post a couple of scans of this quilt. I posted so many log cabin blocks during this thread's start till now, I hate to take up more bandwidth, but will show some as soon as I get back from scanning.

In the meantime, please keep praying for the people in Oklahoma who lost all in that mean old storm, and I think the Red Cross still has some kind of a website up for those who can volunteer help if they're in the vicinity. I'm going to try to make 5 ice cream cone quilts. I don't know what they're going to look like yet. It's like Paint Your Wagon, "Where am I goin' I don't know, when will I be there, I ain't certain, all I know is I am on my wayyyyyy-aayyy" :D

[ame=http://youtu.be/c5_57PF7HwM]Paint Your Wagon Soundtrack - I'm On My Way - YouTube[/ame]

Finally got the scans made. :)

I didn't like the templates used for the kite as a cone. Not sure what to do next... except, go back to the drawing board! *sigh*

Attachments

• $Big Hearted Barn Raising Log Cabin Top1.jpg
    $Big Hearted Barn Raising Log Cabin Top1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 36
  • $Big Hearted Barn Raising Log Cabin Top2.jpg
    $Big Hearted Barn Raising Log Cabin Top2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 40
  • $Big Hearted Barn Raising Log Cabin Top3.jpg
    $Big Hearted Barn Raising Log Cabin Top3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 37
Well, the ice cream cone quilt is not happening with me sticking around here. I guess just doing something that looks remotely like an ice cream cone is an option If I have to do it. :(

Not thinking about it and just doing it is probably the best of all worlds. Be back in a few minutes to an hour with anything.

I really don't want to do a @#*!$% ice cream cone quilt....

<whine> I want to make a kite quilt. </whine>

Well, the ice cream cone quilt is not happening with me sticking around here. I guess just doing something that looks remotely like an ice cream cone is an option If I have to do it. :(

Not thinking about it and just doing it is probably the best of all worlds. Be back in a few minutes to an hour with anything.

Just don't turn it upside down and let it morph into a dunce hat quilt! :eek:

Good morning Beckums~!
Yo, Sunshine!

Right after I hit post, I hit the dust for the sewing room to complete the 48-block log cabin in reds. I really had all done but the outside logs on most of the blocks, and only had to make one up from scratch. I probably set the 48th original block in my spare blocks pile unwittingly, which shows up from time to time between two pieces of fabric. hahahaha So much for my disorganization, but when you do 100 quilt tops in a year, and you're not Wonder Woman, stuff happens.

I made this red one a little bit larger than normal--it measures 58x72" more or less, because of the awful tornado that plowed a 2-mile strip through the heart of some Oklahoma City suburbs and destroyed two schools there.

Yesterday at cut ups group, our Guild president said there was a call for our guild to furnish some ice cream cone quilts, so I realized my kite project, with its super 1/8" thick Plexiglas forms would be perfect for the waffle cones, and I always keep basketweave-look fabrics around, many of which are the same color as the waffle cones you see at Baskins-Robbins Ice Cream Stores. It should be nothing to transform a kite bottom into a cone and with a modicum of figuring, make rows and rows of ice cream cones for a child's quilt to help the children deal with their traumas. I'm also going to designate and hope the girls find it in their hearts to quilt some of the tops I make larger for families who lost all their furnishings to the tornados a couple of weeks back.

I'm so revved, I may just leave here and go back to the machine and set to it, but not before I post a couple of scans of this quilt. I posted so many log cabin blocks during this thread's start till now, I hate to take up more bandwidth, but will show some as soon as I get back from scanning.

In the meantime, please keep praying for the people in Oklahoma who lost all in that mean old storm, and I think the Red Cross still has some kind of a website up for those who can volunteer help if they're in the vicinity. I'm going to try to make 5 ice cream cone quilts. I don't know what they're going to look like yet. It's like Paint Your Wagon, "Where am I goin' I don't know, when will I be there, I ain't certain, all I know is I am on my wayyyyyy-aayyy" :D

[ame=http://youtu.be/c5_57PF7HwM]Paint Your Wagon Soundtrack - I'm On My Way - YouTube[/ame]

:clap2::clap2:

Just don't turn it upside down and let it morph into a dunce hat quilt! :eek:
I love clowns! Just love 'em!

Eureka! You found it. I'll do the ice cream quilts in pastels with the cones below, but will put little nondescript clown faces in the "shadows"... upside down and at least get some pleasure out of the next 35 hours of my life devoted to charity quilting.

/dervish grin

Attachments

• $IIce Cream Cone Quilt1 - Sugar Cones.jpg
    $IIce Cream Cone Quilt1 - Sugar Cones.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 43
  • $IIce Cream Cone Quilt2 - Sugar Cones.jpg
    $IIce Cream Cone Quilt2 - Sugar Cones.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 40
Well, just surfing the net and found some cute ice cream quilts around here and there:

This one came from someone in the Villages, Florida, and it more than passes muster:

Ice%20Cream%20Quilt%20for%20quilt%20show.JPG

Quilting Guild of the Villages

This one is from a grandmotherly blogger who made her grandbaby an ice cream cone quilt that is coordinated in colors:

Finished%20-%20top%20view.jpg

Step-by-step ice cream cone quilt for Rosa

Wow, this one has a plan you can color in by Elsie Marley:

icecreamquilt.jpg

Credits Elsie Marley
That's enough for now... Hope everyone has a wonderful Father's Day, especially all our fathers. :)

I found the red material I'm going to use for the middle block of our log cabin...and I may use it for the border, too. There's quite a bit of it, a red small print calico. Very nice.

I found the red material I'm going to use for the middle block of our log cabin...and I may use it for the border, too. There's quite a bit of it, a red small print calico. Very nice.
Sounds cute, koshergrl. Slap a scrap of it on the scanner if one is available. If it lands in "my pictures," go into "paint" edit and reduce the size to 20% which will bring it here in a thumbnail under manage attachments below the Reply to Thread box. (Not quick reply). Just click any one of 3 browse buttons, go to "my pictures" and pull it up from your quilt file or general file, depending on your system. You can also store quilt pictures you find on the web for later perusal of color, pattern, and just wow power if you like a jolt of color now and then. ;)

And good luck with the kids on that project. I know a lot of our teachers in Wyoming went all out in various curriculum activities to let their children add a quilt block they painted or heat-crayola'd with wax paper, or even used heavy threads with a running stitch to make a one-of-a-kind picture about their study. They even had one that was hand prints in one class with splashy paint. All were really cute. :)

Your kids piecing a log cabin, however, will give them reverence for math, hopefully. Watch their grades go up when they get to geometry and think to themselves "If I'd only known that when mom was trying to get me to sew that quilt!" :)

What a dear person, Koshergrl. You work all day, fight as best you can for your country and beliefs at USMB, then make sure your children have some sewing fun on summer evenings, which improves their math skills ten ways.

/doffing cap

Stop, you'll make me blush, lol.

Well you know I still haven't finished the eternaquilt I started some years ago for my niece...she is finishing up her..internship? Residency? and is moving to Washington this summer. So it has been years, lol. But I will finish it.

Meanwhile, I cut the 30 center 3.5" red squares, and yrds of 2" blue print strips...tomorrow we will sew the squares to the blue, and cut some more, different color/print blue strips.....I think this is going to go quickly.

I decided against allowing the kids to cut strips...the rotary is potentially dangerous and I already had a run to the ER this year when my daughter sliced her index finger trying to cut cheese. But they will be using the sewing machine...it's not going to destroy fingers or hands if they pull or push carelessly...and it's not such an expensive one that I will be bankrupt if they break it.

I'm not worried about it, though. If I haven't broken it, I doubt they will be able to, lol. My funny little Walmart Sewing Machine has been a trooper!

No pics yet because I did something with my camera...I'm not sure where it is.

Today, well tonight, I start on the edging of the second to last block of that cross stitch quilt. No heavy work today. When I do heavy work outside, my fingers just don't work to do the stitching, but it should be finished SOON! Then I can start something else you will have to hear about for 6 months while you make 900 quilts.

I have material to make a 'yo yo' quilt. I guess I need a circle cutter. I passed one up at a going out of business sale a few years back because I had children in college and was strapped for both money and time.

Stop, you'll make me blush, lol.

Well you know I still haven't finished the eternaquilt I started some years ago for my niece...she is finishing up her..internship? Residency? and is moving to Washington this summer. So it has been years, lol. But I will finish it.

Meanwhile, I cut the 30 center 3.5" red squares, and yrds of 2" blue print strips...tomorrow we will sew the squares to the blue, and cut some more, different color/print blue strips.....I think this is going to go quickly.

I decided against allowing the kids to cut strips...the rotary is potentially dangerous and I already had a run to the ER this year when my daughter sliced her index finger trying to cut cheese. But they will be using the sewing machine...it's not going to destroy fingers or hands if they pull or push carelessly...and it's not such an expensive one that I will be bankrupt if they break it.

I'm not worried about it, though. If I haven't broken it, I doubt they will be able to, lol. My funny little Walmart Sewing Machine has been a trooper!

No pics yet because I did something with my camera...I'm not sure where it is.

I lost my camera a couple weeks ago. That forced me to clean up my bedroom, and I found it. LOL.

Forum List

Back