Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

I found my cameral last night...then put it down and lost it again, haha!

I have sort of a lot of the red material; enough for the center blocks x 30 and border and lots left over after that.

Stop, you'll make me blush, lol.

Well you know I still haven't finished the eternaquilt I started some years ago for my niece...she is finishing up her..internship? Residency? and is moving to Washington this summer. So it has been years, lol. But I will finish it.

Meanwhile, I cut the 30 center 3.5" red squares, and yrds of 2" blue print strips...tomorrow we will sew the squares to the blue, and cut some more, different color/print blue strips.....I think this is going to go quickly.

I decided against allowing the kids to cut strips...the rotary is potentially dangerous and I already had a run to the ER this year when my daughter sliced her index finger trying to cut cheese. But they will be using the sewing machine...it's not going to destroy fingers or hands if they pull or push carelessly...and it's not such an expensive one that I will be bankrupt if they break it.

I'm not worried about it, though. If I haven't broken it, I doubt they will be able to, lol. My funny little Walmart Sewing Machine has been a trooper!

No pics yet because I did something with my camera...I'm not sure where it is.
I had to train my blood to be drill sergeant stuff in the shop. When I had a new helper, I told them once, "You need to be sure and close the rotary cutter to its safety setting before it touches the cutting table after a cut. The person most likely to get cut from an open cutter is the one who just set it down open." The second time it was "CLOSE THE ROTARY CUTTER TO SAFETY BEFORE IT TOUCHES THE CUTTING TABLE."

The final time, it was "You have to use scissors for the rest of the day. You are not paying attention to safety today, and I can't afford the lawsuit if a 3-year old finds the cutter open and slits hand before I find that you failed to care about other people's safety."

People just don't remember to close it their first day. Times 3-5, they got to hear me speak dentriloquist style with teeth clenched. I can be not nice when anyone put my customers, stray kids, and themselves at risk. Very not nice. :evil:

I worry more about one of them slipping while they're using it, and slicing a finger off, or cutting tendons. I'm very conscious of what I'm doing when I use it, and that's my fear for me...only many times more for them because, as children, they are silly, weak, and comparatively small...it could do a lot of permanent damage.
The rotary cutters are so innocuous looking that it's easy to sort of forget how dangerous they can be.

So I'll do the rotary cutting for now. But I'm super excited, can't wait to do some more work on it tonight! I'm going to load my bobbins at lunch!

I have sort of a lot of the red material; enough for the center blocks x 30 and border and lots left over after that.
Absent mindedness in women means a high IQ. ;)

I do occasionally forget something, but the somethings I forget seem to always be the same kind of things. So, after seeing a few demonstrations of hypnosis, I decided that, without hypnosis, I would give myself 'post hypnotic suggestions.' Example: I would have trouble remembering to get things I had cooked for pot lucks at work because going to the fridge wasn't in my pre flight plans. But I would tell myself when I saw my purse, or keys, or something I couldn't leave without, that I would immediately remember the food in the fridge. This I would repeat it a 2 or 3 times, purse - fridge, purse -fridge. You get the idea. I forget far fewer things since I started doing that.

011-5_zpsbe2585a6.jpg

012-5_zps6689c035.jpg

013-3_zps6fda32b6.jpg

There's three of the darks/blues...I think my lights will be whites....I have a lot of one very nice white...I purchased around $200 in materials for a quilt I never put together, and I'm tucking into those.

I'm going to stick with red, white, and blue.

Gotta run! Loves ya!

011-5_zpsbe2585a6.jpg

012-5_zps6689c035.jpg

013-3_zps6fda32b6.jpg

There's three of the darks/blues...I think my lights will be whites....I have a lot of one very nice white...I purchased around $200 in materials for a quilt I never put together, and I'm tucking into those.

Gotta run! Loves ya!

That will be very nice.....and patriotic~!

I'm thinking about using a courthouse step pattern, and giving to my sis, the judge!

imgp1352.jpg

I even like those colors, lol. I have to fight my affection for the browns...I made my g-daughter a very nice comforter...with a nice horsey pattern and coordinating blocks of horse poop brown!!!

She loves it but we all look at it and think...what the HECK was gramma thinking? Blocks of brown the same hue..and size...of horse poop, on a blanket with a horsey motif...

I even like those colors, lol. I have to fight my affection for the browns...I made my g-daughter a very nice comforter...with a nice horsey pattern and coordinating blocks of horse poop brown!!!

She loves it but we all look at it and think...what the HECK was gramma thinking? Blocks of brown the same hue..and size...of horse poop, on a blanket with a horsey motif...

I'm not a 'brown' person. It always made me look drab. Now I've colored my hair strawberry blonde/red, it is OK to wear. But I have traumatic memories of having to always have a brown coat so it 'wouldn't show dirt.' LOL.

Haha look there's even brown in my red block center material..how'd that get there???

I do occasionally forget something, but the somethings I forget seem to always be the same kind of things. So, after seeing a few demonstrations of hypnosis, I decided that, without hypnosis, I would give myself 'post hypnotic suggestions.' Example: I would have trouble remembering to get things I had cooked for pot lucks at work because going to the fridge wasn't in my pre flight plans. But I would tell myself when I saw my purse, or keys, or something I couldn't leave without, that I would immediately remember the food in the fridge. This I would repeat it a 2 or 3 times, purse - fridge, purse -fridge. You get the idea. I forget far fewer things since I started doing that.
I confess that on a good day, I repeat stuff a lot too. And when I get to the store, I frequently remember that I should have written a list down. Which reminds me. I need to buy another grocery shopping list pad because the other one ran out a few months back and I've been so lost on shopping day. :redface:

011-5_zpsbe2585a6.jpg

012-5_zps6689c035.jpg

013-3_zps6fda32b6.jpg

Gotta run! Loves ya!
I love your beautiful fabrics, koshergrl! Nice job!!!

I've got to try that! :D

This reminded me of my downstairs studio before I moved the embroidery machine upstairs:

red_white_quilt_01.jpg

This woman's blog is just great! Not only that but she's bilingual and names her quilts in Spanish names, plus some of her archives are labeled and discussed in Spanish, although her blog is in mainly English. She has made a beautiful wedding gift of a red and white quilt plus made pillow shams that just rock, possibly using some of the fabrics above: Tricks and Treats dot com

Oh, I'm looking at "red quilts" in Bing! :)

The picture above reminded me of the dining room table that had so many leaves in it, I thought it would make a good cutting table, since it was a little higher than most dining tables, may have been hand-made, and was just cute as a button. My table is square that came from the antique store, but it's fantastic when it is cleared and the wood surface shows.

More surfing found "Mike's Quilt."

1101_red_white_quilt_by_mike470.jpg

It was found at a blog called "The Quilt Show dot com" and was on their current "newsletter" page. There are a lot more truly well-made quilts there, and a picture of a "Quilter's Hall of Fame" that is just a precious Victorian era house converted into a quilt gallery of sorts.

Oh, my I've searched everywhere to find a red and white little red schoolhouse quilt. Most of them are pure scraps and plaids to boot. This one came from an Australian website called "the Quilt Station Dot Com AU"

judys-red-and-white-wr.jpg

I just love it. Of course, having worked for 3 hours this morning and only getting 3/4 of the way around my little postage stamp quilt that done in all reds, seeing a white dominant red and white quilt was just a pure sight for sore eyes. :)

Of course, the quiltmaker may have been making a star quilt at the same time, so she cut points out and used some (above) and saved others for her next quilt like I do:

Oh, my goodness. I noticed she uses Glad bags too. They're my favorite unless of course, I find zipper lock bags on sale. Anything to keep the moisture and stuff out of the cut fabrics is a good idea. If they are stacked properly, it cuts down on repressing time.

And how different this quilt will look from the schoolhouse quilt:

I just love researching what other people are doing in quilts online. It's a worldwide quilt party going on all the time. :woohoo:

Forum List

Back