Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Wow, I didn't know you could do that. Can you register an old one like the one my grandmother made? What about a damaged one like my little red schoolhouse quit? I mean, my kids are getting ready to inherit a butt load of stuff, I want them to come out on top with it all.
Absolutely, Sunshine.

What is the process? I hate to be so dense.
Contact the National Quilting Association. Ask them who in your state does quilt documentation and registration in your state. Their online address is: The National Quilting Association

The American Quilter's Society might also give you better information than I could, and their address is: American Quilter's Society - Home - Quilt Shows & Contests, Workshops, Books & Magazines

It's not clear to me who does historical registry of quilts, but either or both could set you in the right direction for having your family quilts identified, photographed, and listed into a national registry of American quilts. You will need to supply the person's name who made the quilt, where she made it, the approximate time she finished the quilt. These facts should be embroidered onto the quilts you are making:

Your name
Date of completion
Name of town and state
Name of quilter if other than yourself

That also doubles or quadruples the value to a collector. An academic title the maker earned should be included on modern quilts, such as MA, PhD or nurse practitioner, etc. wouldn't hurt anything, and would be a special treat for your posterity. ;)

One other thing--please take a picture of your completed embroidered top or have a professional do it before and after you ship it off to the quilter. That will help if it is lost in the mail or stolen.

I hope koshergrl is paying attention to this post as well, as well as anyone else who has or makes quilts.

Last edited:
Absolutely, Sunshine.

What is the process? I hate to be so dense.
Contact the National Quilting Association. Ask them who in your state does quilt documentation and registration in your state. Their online address is: The National Quilting Association

The American Quilter's Society might also give you better information than I could, and their address is: American Quilter's Society - Home - Quilt Shows & Contests, Workshops, Books & Magazines

It's not clear to me who does historical registry of quilts, but either or both could set you in the right direction for having your family quilts identified, photographed, and listed into a national registry of American quilts. You will need to supply the person's name who made the quilt, where she made it, the approximate time she finished the quilt. These facts should be embroidered onto the quilts you are making:

Your name
Date of completion
Name of town and state
Name of quilter if other than yourself

That also doubles or quadruples the value to a collector. An academic title the maker earned should be included on modern quilts, such as MA, PhD or nurse practitioner, etc. wouldn't hurt anything, and would be a special treat for your posterity. ;)

One other thing--please take a picture of your completed embroidered top or have a professional do it before and after you ship it off to the quilter. That will help if it is lost in the mail or stolen.

I hope koshergrl is paying attention to this post as well, as well as anyone else who has or makes quilts.

Thanks a million. I'll definitely take the pic, but it will by driven there my me. I forgot about putting my name, etc. on it. White or off white thread for that? There is plenty of green, believe me!

That's just how much I like green, I didn't get tired of it the entire time I was stitching it.

Last week there was a piece of embroidery on Antiques Roadshow that they valued at $60,000 - $80,000. It was a picture and they said the work showed it was done by someone who had graduated from a particular school that taught embroidery in the 1700s or 1800s, I don't recall which. Nothing I do though, even paintings will ever be worth that. I think I've posted some pics of the paintings before.

Wow! Done! :woohoo:

Congratulations, Sunshine! It's always such a wonderful day when that last stitch goes into making a top! Hope the resulting quilt will always be cherished by you and your children, it will be a lasting legacy like your career. All the good you did will just incorporate into people's improved lives with less pain and suffering, but your quilt will go on for generations with people knowing a woman full of patience and love for her family benefited them. :)

I will never use it on a bed. It doesn't go with my décor. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, regardless which child ends up with it, it will be used until it is threadbare. They don't believe in sticking things back in a closet. LOL

I do have a wall downstairs in the room where my computer is that I can't come up with anything to use on. I thought mural, TV, etc. but nix everything. I may have the quilt mounted to hang and put it on that wall, it's not really the right color for that décor either, but I know a designer that says every room needs something in it that doesn't 'go' so it will look homey and used. It's the room my books are in and they are all colors. I have one of those electronic filters on my furnace that takes the dust, pollen, and mold out of the air, so it shouldn't collect much stuff hanging out like that.

Last edited:
The tablecloth is in the hoop and ready to start. But no floss until tomorrow. With this, the big problem will be keeping the volume of material out of the way. I have it kind of all folded up and secured with clothes pins. Seems it will work, but I have to come up with something else for the clips.

OK, here you go. Red snow scene Christmas tablecloth:

5310640000.jpg

The material is very pretty. Far more than I expected. It took weeks and weeks for it to ship.

I got a catalog from Herrschner's last week. They have so many pretty things on sale.

I like stitching in only one color. I also like doing monochromatic paintings.

Last edited:
I have serious tablecloth envy.
I have the desire to see your first block. You know, if you make block one in which your block is a similar size to your pattern, consistency after that is important. You'll know if it's too far off or close enough by measuring all four sides, which should be the same all the way around. The math does not lie. I'm hoping you have a scanner. I picked one up after Christmas from Wally World for $29, which promised quality ink cartridges that are cheap. Now that that has changed, it doesn't matter. I only use it for scanning where ink is irrelevant to the purpose for which I purchased it.

I hope you will show us one finished block sometime this week. That first one, if all are identical, is a good blueprint for what you can expect. Your fabrics rock.

koshergrl's beautiful fabrics brought forward:

013-3_zps6fda32b6.jpg

5310640000.jpg

The material is very pretty. Far more than I expected. It took weeks and weeks for it to ship.

I got a catalog from Herrschner's last week. They have so many pretty things on sale.

That's totally fabulous, Sunshine. :)

5310640000.jpg

I hope the one I do comes out that well. Gotta get thread tomorrow.

5310640000.jpg

That's the catalog pic. I haven't started it yet. I got the white thread today. So, will be starting it soon. And Sarah G gets me banned, I may finish it before I get back! I do so love Pink. I mean Red. LOL

5310640000.jpg

It will be a master work, Sunshine, and you won't even have to quilt it. *sigh*

:)

I still have strips to cut. But I need more light colored material, and I can't get any until the first...

I have to share this little thing...I can't share it on facebook, because it involves my son and his family peripherally, and they would see it as a criticism (which it is not).

I am an early riser. I get up before my family does and not just on weekdays, but on weekends too. My younger children are early risers too, but I generally beat them to it. On weekends, I am often up for hours before everybody is up and stirring...but I like that, it's my alone time. I hit the hay early.

My youngsters went and spent a few days with their brother and his family...he works a hard job (and lots of over time) as a diesel mechanic during the week; on the weekends he often doesn't come home until 4-5 am on Friday night, and he sleeps often until noon on Saturday. My daughter in law also does...they stay up late, and they sleep late.

I picked up the kids and asked them if they enjoyed themselves...and they did...BUT...

"They sleep so late! At home when we get up, you're already up!"

Lol. It's the little things. I think my kids do take a lot of things for granted, which is okay, I want them to feel secure...but it's nice when they notice some of what's going on for their sakes.

I have to share this little thing...I can't share it on facebook, because it involves my son and his family peripherally, and they would see it as a criticism (which it is not).

I am an early riser. I get up before my family does and not just on weekdays, but on weekends too. My younger children are early risers too, but I generally beat them to it. On weekends, I am often up for hours before everybody is up and stirring...but I like that, it's my alone time. I hit the hay early.

My youngsters went and spent a few days with their brother and his family...he works a hard job (and lots of over time) as a diesel mechanic during the week; on the weekends he often doesn't come home until 4-5 am on Friday night, and he sleeps often until noon on Saturday. My daughter in law also does...they stay up late, and they sleep late.

I picked up the kids and asked them if they enjoyed themselves...and they did...BUT...

"They sleep so late! At home when we get up, you're already up!"

Lol. It's the little things. I think my kids do take a lot of things for granted, which is okay, I want them to feel secure...but it's nice when they notice some of what's going on for their sakes.

Sometimes they don't notice those things until they have children of their own!

My mom was different though...she wasn't gracious or loving about it. She did it because she had to, and she let us know. Most of my adult life started mornings with my mom at the door saying "For God's sakes, are you going to lay around all day?"

Forum List

Back