As fuel taxes plummet, states weigh charging by the mile instead of the tank

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Evan Burroughs has spent eight years touting the virtues of an Oregon pilot program charging motorists by the distance their vehicle travels rather than the gas it guzzles, yet his own mother still hasn't bought in.

Margaret Burroughs, 85, said she has no intention of inserting a tracking device on her Nissan Murano to record the miles she drives to get groceries or attend needlepoint meetings. She figures it's far less hassle to just pay at the pump, as Americans have done for more than a century.

“It’s probably a good thing, but on top of everybody else’s stress today, it’s just one more thing,” she said of Oregon's first-in-the-nation initiative, which is run by the state transportation department where her son serves as a survey analyst.

WHERE are fuel taxes "plummeting"????? WHERE!?!

NOT IN THIS COUNTRY THEY AREN'T!!

I'm 60 years old, and I've NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER seen fuel taxes go DOWN..........ONLY UP, and UP, and UP!!

I'm sure these construction companies that drive hundreds of miles to get to a job will have a LOT to say about this!

This is nothing short of EXTREME CORRUPT AND PSYCHOTIC GREED!
WHY charge .25 cents a GALLON for gas, when you can charge .25 cents PER MILE?

If taxes are ILLEGAL in this country, WHY are there SO MANY OF THEM, and WHY are they always GOING UP??

Seems to me it would remove one incentive for people to buy a more efficient vehicle.

The government uses tax money to buy votes.
When they need more votes, they raise taxes.

So, they plan for a 3/4 ton 6-wheel pickup truck to pay the same charge per mile as a 4cyl economy hatchback? Despite the obvious weight discrepancy? How about 18 wheelers? Weight tears up the roads.

Taxes are collected to support otherwise unemployable college graduates.

Last edited:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Evan Burroughs has spent eight years touting the virtues of an Oregon pilot program charging motorists by the distance their vehicle travels rather than the gas it guzzles, yet his own mother still hasn't bought in.

Margaret Burroughs, 85, said she has no intention of inserting a tracking device on her Nissan Murano to record the miles she drives to get groceries or attend needlepoint meetings. She figures it's far less hassle to just pay at the pump, as Americans have done for more than a century.

“It’s probably a good thing, but on top of everybody else’s stress today, it’s just one more thing,” she said of Oregon's first-in-the-nation initiative, which is run by the state transportation department where her son serves as a survey analyst.

WHERE are fuel taxes "plummeting"????? WHERE!?!

NOT IN THIS COUNTRY THEY AREN'T!!

I'm 60 years old, and I've NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER seen fuel taxes go DOWN..........ONLY UP, and UP, and UP!!

I'm sure these construction companies that drive hundreds of miles to get to a job will have a LOT to say about this!

This is nothing short of EXTREME CORRUPT AND PSYCHOTIC GREED!
WHY charge .25 cents a GALLON for gas, when you can charge .25 cents PER MILE?

If taxes are ILLEGAL in this country, WHY are there SO MANY OF THEM, and WHY are they always GOING UP??
Damn sure ain't happening in WA. Jay Inslee and his commie colleagues passed a "cap and trade" law that was only supposed to affect industry. Common folk wouldn't be affected. Truth of the matter is it increased fuel taxes so that WA now has the highest fuel prices in the nation.

One way or another, the Federal, State, and Local governments are going to find unique ways to get their "pound of flesh." They want what YOU have, and they don't mind stealing it from you.

One way or another, the Federal, State, and Local governments are going to find unique ways to get their "pound of flesh." They want what YOU have, and they don't mind stealing it from you.
WA just started charging a carbon tax on fuel so now we get to pay the highest price in the nation. The push back has been deafening and now Inslee and the democrats are accusing the oil companies of gouging. LMAO, but in TX and many other places the fuel is less than $3/gallon. Inslee and the democrats are bald faced liars.

Forum List

Back