Asian-American Student Has Near-Perfect 1590 out of 1600 SAT Score and a 4.65 GPA, Gets Ugly Shock After Applications to Elite Universities

Back to merit….

1. That perfect test scores and grades guarantee or entitle admission. For most super-elite schools, even non-Ivies like MIT, test scores and grades are often the least important of the important factors for gaining admission. Rather, grades and scores represent noisy measures of minimum, first-year aptitude. Science also supports this contention. Grades and scores only predict freshman year success. Even then, the numbers are meaningless above a certain minimum threshold. The idea of entitlement is preposterous. One does not "earn" admission to an Ivy League school (just as one does not slack to get rejected). As we said, Ivy League schools look for lifetime achievement potential. This escapes many observers because they have no idea how intense competition is. For example, some admits are semi-pro sports stars. Others have patents and genius inventions, while others are Youtube personalities. No matter how one might discount these factors, they mean something scientifically. Science shows, for example, that personality is a greater predictor of academic and later professional successthan anything else. Indeed, even anecdotally this makes sense. Students with perfect grades and scores are rarely the greatest achievers in life. For example, the vast majority of notable and influential people from our generation were far from perfect students. Steve Jobs, Al Gore, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Amy Tan, all had relatively low test scores. Indeed, as a Bay Area admissions counselor in trying to expain the rejection of perfect students: “They’re getting eclipsed with someone who is an Olympic hopeful, someone with multiple patents, published authors." She said, “and even a lot of those kids aren’t getting in.”

Gee this is just a repeat of the same issue facing the court in 2014. The conservative nonprofit Students for Fair Admissions originally filed lawsuits related to affirmative action in 2014. They accused Harvard College (the undergraduate institute of Harvard University) of being discriminatory towards Asian American applicants.
In Fisher case they confirmed that lower court was deemed correct in their ruling in favor of Harvard as their process was align with Supreme Court precedents.

Now with the court with more conservatives , they are going for it again in hope of changing the previous verdict. The issue is should race be used in college admissions. Yet there are multiple criteria that Harvard uses to select someone to go to their college. Still the issue is also only so many people are going to be able to get into Harvard. The have an acceptance rate that is about 5% so it is fairly difficult to get in no matter who you are. They are highly selective and probably use multiple criteria's that have to be met before acceptance.

This is another battle for affirmative action.

Damned if you do , Damned if you don't

Still the kid was rejected by 6 schools. I wonder what the rest of the story is?
What ”rest of the story”? Racist colleges have decided that there are too many smart Asians, so they reject them.

And it’s not just colleges. The prestigious TJ High School - a competitive public high school in Virginia - announced that they had too many Asians acing the admissions test, and too few blacks. Since they knew they would run into trouble if they let in a boatload of blacks with mediocre exam scores while turning away bright Asians, they simply abolished the exam.

Here comes the racist babble, black kids only make up 8% of the student body at Harvard. If black folks weren't in this country, your racist ass would be attacking Asians instead of black folks.
Based on merit alone the number might be 1%

Back to merit….

1. That perfect test scores and grades guarantee or entitle admission. For most super-elite schools, even non-Ivies like MIT, test scores and grades are often the least important of the important factors for gaining admission. Rather, grades and scores represent noisy measures of minimum, first-year aptitude. Science also supports this contention. Grades and scores only predict freshman year success. Even then, the numbers are meaningless above a certain minimum threshold. The idea of entitlement is preposterous. One does not "earn" admission to an Ivy League school (just as one does not slack to get rejected). As we said, Ivy League schools look for lifetime achievement potential. This escapes many observers because they have no idea how intense competition is. For example, some admits are semi-pro sports stars. Others have patents and genius inventions, while others are Youtube personalities. No matter how one might discount these factors, they mean something scientifically. Science shows, for example, that personality is a greater predictor of academic and later professional successthan anything else. Indeed, even anecdotally this makes sense. Students with perfect grades and scores are rarely the greatest achievers in life. For example, the vast majority of notable and influential people from our generation were far from perfect students. Steve Jobs, Al Gore, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Amy Tan, all had relatively low test scores. Indeed, as a Bay Area admissions counselor in trying to expain the rejection of perfect students: “They’re getting eclipsed with someone who is an Olympic hopeful, someone with multiple patents, published authors." She said, “and even a lot of those kids aren’t getting in.”
Elite Schools are looking for two main qualities in applicants:
  • Students who are going to accomplish world-changing things.
  • Students who are going to contribute positively to their communities while in college and help other students accomplish great things as well. !!!!! - the vast majority
And all this is 'supposedly" predictable based on kids that can show up for a High-school diploma and 17 years of live-experience and performance. ???

Fact is that admission into e.g. Harvard college (around 2000 students per year) is based onto the who is who $$ and old boy system. (regardless of race). And then there are some slots reserved for "extraordinary talents" and racial African quotas.

Yeah really?

Well aint you just the fucking genius.

One does not need to be a genius to know that test scores and GPA are not the only factors for getting into a college. Anyone but a fucking moron would know this.

Colleges do you dumb fuck. There are a shit ton of smart people applying for colleges, you need activities to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

I guess they did not tell you than while you were learning to drop fries at Wendy's

I went to college when intellect was all that mattered. Caltech is also one of the most renowned colleges out there to this day. Not because of clubs, but because our students produce some of the best research on the planet.

Not that you would understand that.

Harvard got 56,937 applications for the class of 2027. They accepted only 3.4%. All of them would have been highly qualified, so how do you select when you can only admit a tiny fraction? None of these schools admit solely on gpa/test scores nor should they.

Oh? They shouldn't rely on GPA and test scores, why not?

I went to college when intellect was all that mattered. Caltech is also one of the most renowned colleges out there to this day. Not because of clubs, but because our students produce some of the best research on the planet.

Not that you would understand that.

And CalTech, just like every other decent university looked at more than just your grades and test scores.

There is more to being successful than just being able to do well on a test.

One does not need to be a genius to know that test scores and GPA are not the only factors for getting into a college. Anyone but a fucking moron would know this.
One does not need to be a genius to know that glee club is not an indicator for how successful a student is going to be.

Anyone but a fucking moron would know this.

Oh? They shouldn't rely on GPA and test scores, why not?

Because that does not separate out enough people among all that apply. Most everyone applying to these schools have great GPAs and test scores.

And CalTech, just like every other decent university looked at more than just your grades and test scores.

There is more to being successful than just being able to do well on a test.

No, they didn't. They looked at my undergrad work, and my test scores, and that was it. I was in no clubs, or sporting endeavors, because between work, and study I didn't have time for anything else.

Hard sciences are like that.

No, they didn't. They looked at my undergrad work, and my test scores, and that was it. I was in no clubs, or sporting endeavors, because between work, and study I didn't have time for anything else.

A person coming out of high school does not have undergrad work. You are comparing apples and hand grenades.

The only thing that should matter to a admin is whether the student is going to succeed. Clubs don't tell you that.

Actually clubs, sports, community involvement and other things can tell a great deal about if someone can succeed.

Forum List

Back