Assange: Journalism Doomed if Manning Convicted of Aiding Enemy

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
What do you think? Is it OK for someone sworn to secrecy to reveal secret information? What if the information was of crimes against the people? Not saying that Manning's information revealed anything that we the people needed to know just saying that this prosecution is in line with the Obama's administrations attempt to silence all opposition. His treatment of whistle blowers is contemptible but we seem to ignore it because....why?

Assange: Journalism Doomed if Manning Convicted of Aiding Enemy - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Manning's conviction on that charge would "embroil future journalistic sources in possible death penalty cases for speaking with the media," Assange said. He alleged the charge is part of "the Obama administration's new attempt to define journalism about national security as conspiracy to commit espionage."

Using the Espionage Act, Obama is "effectively rewriting the Constitution," Assange said. The First Amendment, he noted, has "no exception for an embarrassed military or an embarrassed White House. What part of 'no' does President Barack Obama not understand?"

BS...journalism is not under attack...it will just have to find new sources when traitors are executed.

What do you think? Is it OK for someone sworn to secrecy to reveal secret information? What if the information was of crimes against the people? Not saying that Manning's information revealed anything that we the people needed to know just saying that this prosecution is in line with the Obama's administrations attempt to silence all opposition. His treatment of whistle blowers is contemptible but we seem to ignore it because....why?

Assange: Journalism Doomed if Manning Convicted of Aiding Enemy - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Manning's conviction on that charge would "embroil future journalistic sources in possible death penalty cases for speaking with the media," Assange said. He alleged the charge is part of "the Obama administration's new attempt to define journalism about national security as conspiracy to commit espionage."

Using the Espionage Act, Obama is "effectively rewriting the Constitution," Assange said. The First Amendment, he noted, has "no exception for an embarrassed military or an embarrassed White House. What part of 'no' does President Barack Obama not understand?"
Note to Assange, the wanna-be Bond villain:

If you have to edit your most "damning" piece of evidence to make the bad guys look innocent when the good guys kill them, that's not journalism, that's progressive horseshit.

What do you think? Is it OK for someone sworn to secrecy to reveal secret information? What if the information was of crimes against the people?

Great question, unfortunately for Manning it's a bit more complicated than that given that he was a member of the Armed Forces and thus swore an oath "according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. " and therefore had an obligation to report activities he believed to be "crimes against the people" to his chain of command which, as far I'm aware, he did not.

What Manning did not only dishonored himself (because he violated his oath) but violated the trust he was given by every other member of the military that depend on each and every soldier, sailor, marine and airman adhering to said oath. As a military veteran I feel justified in saying Manning represents the sort of soldier that I definitely would not want to go into combat with since he cannot be trusted.

Manning isn't a journalist. He was active duty military who passed military information to someone not authorized to receive that military information. Assange is full of shit, as usual.

I don't consider Assange to be part of the journalism profession so his statement on this means nothing to me I am far more concerned over what was done to the AP reporters and James Rosen than I am over what happens to Manning.

Manning isn't a journalist. He was active duty military who passed military information to someone not authorized to receive that military information. Assange is full of shit, as usual.

Although I do agree, doesn't this definition fit the Pentagon Papers and for that matter Watergate? Things were leaked. How would you feel if someone leaked information that now is classified concerning Benghazi, especially if it made Obama look bad?

Last edited:

Although I do agree, doesn't this definition fit the Pentagon Papers and for that matter Watergate? Things were leaked. How would you feel if someone leaked information that now is classified concerning Benghazi, especially if it made Obama look bad?

The only reason the Benghazi info is classified is to hide the lies told...not to protect national security. Big difference.

The only reason the Benghazi info is classified is to hide the lies told...not to protect national security. Big difference.

You can't possible know that for fact. The ambassador was put into an unsafe location for a reason, that reason may, or may not, be classified.

That said, who decides what is classified or not? Certainly not you or me.

Exactly. The nation isn't being protected, the presidebt is being protected.

BS...journalism is not under attack...it will just have to find new sources when traitors are executed.

???? How does that statement even make sense?

It will never make sense to you...or any other progtard moron.

This reply could not be more off base.

Now, let us quickly examine your statement. IF anyone releasing information is a traitor, to you, then where in the hell would you expect the news service to get their information? If they get secret information, like Obama sent Stevens to run guns and that is classified and the news source somehow found out, would not they then be traitors if they released such information? How else would they get the information if not leaked by someone? Someone you call a traitor and could be executed for doing so.

Exactly. The nation isn't being protected, the presidebt is being protected.

Does not matter, if Manning is a traitor then so would anyone else releasing information that is classified whether you or I think it should be released.

How do you think the Pentagon Papers became public knowledge?

Forum List

Back