At one time Unions had their place, but now....

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
This is something I hear a lot from my conservative friends. It goes At one time unions were necessary but now they arent.

And I ask the question: Why were unions needed in the first place? And has that element disappeared somewhere?

Because unions were needed because the companies would screw their employees putting profit above safety, rights etc. So now I take it companies dont have a bottom line anymore in 2015 or that no one seeks to take advantage of employees anymore?

Does this make sense?

There are laws in place to protect workers today that didn't exist back then. Why do you think union membership has declined so much in the private sector, their not needed. The only thing public sector unions are good for is to suck more money out of the taxpayer and they should be outlawed.

Public sectors need more regulation, private unions not so much. But none of us should every believe that stockholders hold union members close to their hearts.

Businesses are just as unfair to workers today as they ever have been. Unions are needed more now than ever in fact. The laws that supposedly protect workers are rarely enforced and when they are, they usually amount to a speeding ticket for the businesses.

Businesses are just as unfair to workers today as they ever have been. Unions are needed more now than ever in fact. The laws that supposedly protect workers are rarely enforced and when they are, they usually amount to a speeding ticket for the businesses.

Public sector unions are a terrible idea who's time has passed. Even FDR thought they were bunk.

Private sector unions are viable, but should be required to show people their benefit, not be mandated by laws (i.e. closed shops).

This is something I hear a lot from my conservative friends. It goes At one time unions were necessary but now they arent.

And I ask the question: Why were unions needed in the first place? And has that element disappeared somewhere?

Because unions were needed because the companies would screw their employees putting profit above safety, rights etc. So now I take it companies dont have a bottom line anymore in 2015 or that no one seeks to take advantage of employees anymore?

Does this make sense?

Once greed disappears, we'll no longer need unions......till then.....They're imperative.!!

PS:...Don't hold your breath..!!!:bang3:

Does this make sense?

They never supported unions to being with, it's an old cannard they use

There are laws in place to protect workers today that didn't exist back then. Why do you think union membership has declined so much in the private sector, their not needed. The only thing public sector unions are good for is to suck more money out of the taxpayer and they should be outlawed.

^ Yeah thats the normal talking points but doesnt address the OP. Yes there are things that exist now that didnt then. But I'm talking about greed and abuse being the reasons for Unions coming into existence and your response is....

We dont need them because theres laws?

Unions are good. Without them where would the lefty clowns get the millions of members' dues dollars to squander on, for example, losing battles to unseat Wisconsin's Scott Walker?

Join today the National Brotherhood of Losers.

^ Yeah thats the normal talking points but doesnt address the OP. Yes there are things that exist now that didnt then. But I'm talking about greed and abuse being the reasons for Unions coming into existence and your response is....

We once had a need for horse drawn buggies and wagons, not so much any more.

Fallacy of false derivative comparison.

Once greed disappears, we'll no longer need unions......till then.....They're imperative.!!

PS:...Don't hold your breath..!!!:bang3:

The trouble is, the greed of the unions doesn't counter the greed of the corporations. Together they both rape the consumer.

Remember about 8 months ago when we were having the discussions about raising the minimum wage?

GOP/Conservative arguments went something like this. If you do that, prices will rise, unemployment will rise, and you will end up with inflation.

In the last few months, Wal*Mart and McDonalds have both raised their worker's pay unilaterally and a number of municipalities have raised their jurisdiction's minimum wage.

McDonald s wage increase - Business Insider
Our People Make the Difference
15 Minimum Wage

Much the same argument is made about unions. They raise the rate of labor, raise the costs to the consumer and lower productivity that will increase inflation.

Needless to say that this is a canard. Union's biggest hurdle is getting workers to understand the benefits....they really suck at promoting themselves.

Well thats easy the number of people that own a horse dropped. Did the number of greedy people drop sometime?

Unions are the victims of their own success. Most of what they fought for has been encoded into law, but they still act like it's 1953. If they don't adapt to today's world and stop fighting yesterday's battles, they will continue to sink into irrelevancy.

The threat of an organized workforce keeps unscroupulous employers in line.

Unions are the victims of their own success. Most of what they fought for has been encoded into law, but they still act like it's 1953. If they don't adapt to today's world and stop fighting yesterday's battles, they will continue to sink into irrelevancy.

Absolutely right.

Like the fact that not every industry needs union representation. Not every act of an employer is unscrupulous, and some employees use the protection as a shield, not as an assurance.

Well thats easy the number of people that own a horse dropped. Did the number of greedy people drop sometime?

Of course they did, just ask any liberal, they will tell ya they're not greedy. LOL

Forum List

Back