🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

At What Point Did Conservatives Stop Being Conservatives?

Just curious. Just wondering when conservatives decided to throw away what it means to actually be a conservative, and instead chose to embrace authoritarianism and extremism.

What was the turning point, exactly?

(I'm not referring to the conservatives here who do not support Trump, y'all have my respect -- even if I disagree with you on virtually everything.)
Well, it sure as hell was recently, and it was pretty obviously tied to Trump's candidacy.

It's like many of their heads just exploded out of pure frustration that they couldn't find a pure enough candidate, so they decided to burn the party down.

well, it's certainly at a boil now. but this has been coming since lee Atwater and Ronnie Reagan. there is also a deep strain of anti-intellectualism in the GOP base that has been festering for a long time and has been encouraged by politicians for their own gain.

so now you have people ignoring fact and telling us it's "the liberal media" if they don't like what they're hearing or if what they're hearing doesn't encourage their confirmation bias.
It all gets amplified by this echo chamber, and whipped into a frenzy by conservative media. If Trump doesn't win, there's a list of ready-made excuses that will only make this worse.

I think this has made room for the Democrats to move to the Left.

I'd say that's true. and Donald's nonsense about pre-complaining that the race is "rigged" is designed to create hysteria. my concern is that he appears to me to be trying to de-legitimize our elections and the presidency. I think that's irresponsible and dangerous.

i'm not sure. I think Bernie forced the party to the left. I think trump and his people being so out there allows her to run more to the middle as a safe haven for independents and republicans who don't have the crazy gene.

hence the letter that came out today signed by the 50 republicans who served in the national security world who said Donald is dangerous and to vote for Hillary.

Yeah, but running around squawking about voter fraud and ID's is cool...

Just curious. Just wondering when conservatives decided to throw away what it means to actually be a conservative, and instead chose to embrace authoritarianism and extremism.

(I'm not referring to the conservatives here who do not support Trump, y'all have my respect -- even if I disagree with you on virtually everything.)
when they say that they won't let this president have a second term ... that's when the people lost their faith in the republican party...

At what point did liberals stop being liberals and become a bunch of regressives?

^Commonly found regressive liberal.
still stuck on stupid I see

Their xenophobia and building upswell of hatred against minorities has caused them to abandon their principles and support the guy who's promised the most harm to brown people.

What on Earth are you babbling about?
Just stating the obvious.

Obvious to who? Why do you think it obvious that conservatives hate minorities? You do realize that some of us are minorities... right?
I do. It's very confusing. I have Cuban relatives who fled here from Cuba when Castro came into power, and are now pretty successful people. And they are supporting Trump, because he has promised to not let people, such as Cubans, flee here. It's crazy stuff. :dunno:

Their xenophobia and building upswell of hatred against minorities has caused them to abandon their principles and support the guy who's promised the most harm to brown people.

Obvious to who? Why do you think it obvious that conservatives hate minorities? You do realize that some of us are minorities... right?
I do. It's very confusing. I have Cuban relatives who fled here from Cuba when Castro came into power, and are now pretty successful people. And they are supporting Trump, because he has promised to not let people, such as Cubans, flee here. It's crazy stuff. :dunno:

No he hasn't..... Trump's point is simple and accurate, you cannot have a country with unfettered illegal immigration. Hell, if not for immigration, I wouldn't be here. But my grandparents did it legally.

Well, it sure as hell was recently, and it was pretty obviously tied to Trump's candidacy.

It's like many of their heads just exploded out of pure frustration that they couldn't find a pure enough candidate, so they decided to burn the party down.

well, it's certainly at a boil now. but this has been coming since lee Atwater and Ronnie Reagan. there is also a deep strain of anti-intellectualism in the GOP base that has been festering for a long time and has been encouraged by politicians for their own gain.

so now you have people ignoring fact and telling us it's "the liberal media" if they don't like what they're hearing or if what they're hearing doesn't encourage their confirmation bias.
It all gets amplified by this echo chamber, and whipped into a frenzy by conservative media. If Trump doesn't win, there's a list of ready-made excuses that will only make this worse.

I'd say that's true. and Donald's nonsense about pre-complaining that the race is "rigged" is designed to create hysteria. my concern is that he appears to me to be trying to de-legitimize our elections and the presidency. I think that's irresponsible and dangerous.

i'm not sure. I think Bernie forced the party to the left. I think trump and his people being so out there allows her to run more to the middle as a safe haven for independents and republicans who don't have the crazy gene.

hence the letter that came out today signed by the 50 republicans who served in the national security world who said Donald is dangerous and to vote for Hillary.

when states try to divest minorities of the vote... yes.

if you have a problem with that, I'd suggest you take it up with the supreme court.

The only real fascist are people that have to label anything as 'extremist' because they have an opinion that is different from others. It kind of makes people feel like that their own opinions must conform to what everyone else thinks or they may be 'extremist' and who wants to be an 'extremist' to people who think that everyone must think the same in order for us to get along.

This entire thread is based on the presumption that corporatism and globalism is "conservative".
Fail

when states try to divest minorities of the vote... yes.

if you have a problem with that, I'd suggest you take it up with the supreme court.

Why are you trying to create hysteria.. that's dangerous.

It was around Dec. 2008 when the decision was made to oppose the president on everything even if it endangered the country. At that point they stopped being conservatives and became whatever you call these reactionary chicken littles who continually run around squawking "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".

No he hasn't..... Trump's point is simple and accurate, you cannot have a country with unfettered illegal immigration. Hell, if not for immigration, I wouldn't be here. But my grandparents did it legally.
Anyone who is a Trump supporter is a Trump supporter for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. No matter how stupid or foolish you feel, your candidate lost and you have to pull the lever for Trump in November because you've become convinced that Hillary is some kind of murderous Illuminati figure, and likely a secret Muslim like Obama.

or

2. You immediately supported Trump because you've become convinced that all of the brown people, including the ones who were born and raised here, are coming to take your job, rape you, and murder you.

1. No matter how stupid or foolish you feel, your candidate lost and you have to pull the lever for Trump in November because you've become convinced that Hillary is some kind of murderous Illuminati figure, and likely a secret Muslim like Obama.

or

2. You immediately supported Trump because you've become convinced that all of the brown people, including the ones who were born and raised here, are coming to take your job, rape you, and murder you.

You realize you come off as someone with some serious issues, right?

or

You realize you come off as someone with some serious issues, right?
I'm more right than you dare to admit.

At what point did liberals stop being liberals and become a bunch of regressives?

takeyourhatespeechoutofthiscampus.gif

Pretty sure it was when some clown decided to use the word "regressive" because he thought he was being clever.
Same goes for you idiots regarding "authoritarianism".

I think Trump's rise is a reflection of the inner change within conservatism, but not the turning point. This has been brewing for quite some time.
Conservatism doesn't change.

When progressives and cults of personality call themselves Republicans or conservatives, they change the perception that people have of conservatism.

Democrats have moved to the left because that is the entire point of progressivism.

Democrats get away with it because of the mass confusion caused by radical demographic shifts.

Only one I know who might be qualified to answer your question is Matthew, he flipped big time. But no self respecting conservative would dare vote for the hildabitch.

Oh no we know exactly what it is because liberals are always target number one. Any dictatorship you can think of went after the press, the educators, the labor leaders and the populist agitators first thing.

or

This or perhaps...

All regressive democrats are democrats because all they have is the race card? Facts are completely forbidden...

The 2nd statement is profoundly ignorant.

Oh no we know exactly what it is because liberals are always target number one. Any dictatorship you can think of went after the press, the educators, the labor leaders and the populist agitators first thing.
All of those groups used to be fairly conservative before WW2(in the west anyway), and there are plenty of "liberal" authoritarians.

Forum List

Back