Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Do you agree, understand and admit that if you grew up on an island and never heard of the idea of god(s), you not believing in god(s) is not a belief?
logical error.....atheism is ignorance, but all ignorance is not atheism........the person on the island would also not be denying the existence of deity.......
You're suffering from the debilitating disease of religious extremism. There is nothing ignorant or illogical about rejecting appeals to superstitious fears.
but there is something ignorant and illogical about saying you are opposed to believing in something without proof while believing in something without proof.......
Exactly what are these things we believe in that there is no proof of.

Also, if you do not believe me, does that mean your skepticism is a belief? So then it's a religion?
if it is something which can neither be proven or disproven and I make a choice about whether or not to believe it, regardless of the fact that it can be neither proven or disproven, then obviously yes......if that belief is elevated to the point that one takes extraordinary steps to uphold that belief, such as filing law suits and arguing them up to the supreme court, or even logging on daily to argue what you believe with those who don't agree with you, then yes......it can become a religion.......

on the other hand, I may believe you don't have a penis.......given that I devote little or no time contemplating that belief, that belief would not be elevated to a religion........

Do you agree, understand and admit that if you grew up on an island and never heard of the idea of god(s), you not believing in god(s) is not a belief?
logical error.....atheism is ignorance, but all ignorance is not atheism........the person on the island would also not be denying the existence of deity.......
He'd be agnostic, because he'd see no proof either way for or against a god. The only logical position to hold.
I think no......if he grew up on an island and never heard the idea of god(s) and you asked him if he believed in god(s) he would not say he'd seen no proof either way.....he would say "huh?".......

What if after you told him the Adam, Eve, Moses, Jesus & Jonah stories and he said you were making it all up, stupid, a liar or crazy?
then he would be choosing what he believed.....

Would him not believing in this god you talk about make him an atheist?
obviously not.....him saying "there is no god" would make him an atheist......

Remember as far as organized religions go, we are all atheists.
not true....I believe that a god exists.....

I just happen to not believe in one more god than you.
which logically makes you an atheist and me a Christian.....(you see why I consider atheists to be ignorant and illogical?).......

You're suffering from the debilitating disease of religious extremism. There is nothing ignorant or illogical about rejecting appeals to superstitious fears.
but there is something ignorant and illogical about saying you are opposed to believing in something without proof while believing in something without proof.......
that there is no god....are you one of those atheists who is unaware what atheists believe in?......

that there is no god....are you one of those atheists who is unaware what atheists believe in?......
Now if someone were to ask you what you believe in, you would have to say everything and then put the qualifier things that that exist and things that don't. This is how ridiculous your logic leads to.

He'd be agnostic, because he'd see no proof either way for or against a god. The only logical position to hold.
I think no......if he grew up on an island and never heard the idea of god(s) and you asked him if he believed in god(s) he would not say he'd seen no proof either way.....he would say "huh?".......
Exactly. All religious belief is behavior that is a product of cultural and geographic happenstance. Fear based religions such as christianity are learned behaviors.
of course.....which means that all your ancestors were atheists.......
So we're yours, and so are you, relative to belief in the gods of others.
choosing to believe one thing rather than another is not atheism, it is simply making a choice.......choosing to believe there is no god is atheism.....
You're perpetually confused. There is no need to choose to not-believe. Concluding that your multi-gods, Vishnu, Jupiter, Zeus, etc., are inventions of mankind is a perfectly rational conclusion.

We can thus assume that you are an atheist with regard to claims of gods that are competing with your gods. It appears that it is you who is unaware of what you atheists believe in.

There is no requirement for "belief" to conclude

"concluding" in the absence of proof.....
False. Concluding based upon the completely unsupportable claims that Supernaturalists use to promote their sectarian versions of gods. It's not that your claims to polytheistic gods are inconsistent and contradictory, the claims require acceptance of absurd miracles, suspension of a reality based worldview and allowance for the complete abandonment of rational thought processes. “The gods did it" is an utter surrender to fear and ignorance. You have predefined that talking snakes, spontaneous combustion of shrubbery, a 6,000 year old planet and other absurdities of nature are a part of contingent reality when they are not.

It's not merely a lack of proof that you supernaturalists fail to provide, it's your appeals to magic and other absurdities of nature that utterly confounds your arguments.

Secondly, the final arbiter of what we define as truth is evidence, and I see nothing on the supernaturalist side except supposition. Show some evidence. Prove your gods.

Now if someone were to ask you what you believe in, you would have to say everything and then put the qualifier things that that exist and things that don't. This is how ridiculous your logic leads to.
to the contrary.....I have no problem identifying those things I believe in and those things I don't........atheists, on the other hand, seem to have trouble admitting what it is they believe........

We can thus assume that you are an atheist with regard to claims of gods that are competing with your gods. It appears that it is you who is unaware of what you atheists believe in.
if you do, it is out of foolishness......I do not say there are no gods......I choose to believe in he who is God....I therefore cannot be described as an atheist......

False. Concluding based upon the completely unsupportable claims

I'm not arguing that what choice you made isn't obvious.....I'm just pointing out that it remains a choice, nonetheless.....

to the contrary.....I have no problem identifying those things I believe in and those things I don't........atheists, on the other hand, seem to have trouble admitting what it is they believe........
Every single atheist has stated they don't believe in god/gods. How is this any diffrent from what you identify as things you don't believe in.

if you do, it is out of foolishness......I do not say there are no gods......I choose to believe in he who is God....I therefore cannot be described as an atheist......
Of course you can. You A-theistic belief regarding the gods of others.
Of course you can. You are A-theistic belief in regards to the other gods. You most certainly are an atheist.

False. Concluding based upon the completely unsupportable claims

I'm not arguing that what choice you made isn't obvious.....I'm just pointing out that it remains a choice, nonetheless.....
And it's been pointed out that concluding your multi-gods are no less a human invention than Leprechauns is a rational conclusion.

You may have a desperate, emotional need to believe in spirit realms and magical gods which you are free to believe are real and extant. However, your beliefs are trivial acceptance of tales and fables you were given as a child, not a meaningful evaluation of the facts and evidence that concludes your gods are mere hand-me-down reinventions of earlier gods.

"He" who is God? That's interesting in that you you have carelessly accepted the plethora of human attributes assigned to these gods.

There's a common theme connecting the gods that are of human invention and that is the propensity of religionists to assign human attributes to an entity they claim is ultimately incomprehensible. Paul, the inventor of your gods simply followed the traditions established by earlier inventors of gods as he assigned human attributes to your gods.

Exactly. All religious belief is behavior that is a product of cultural and geographic happenstance. Fear based religions such as christianity are learned behaviors.
choosing to believe one thing rather than another is not atheism, it is simply making a choice.......choosing to believe there is no god is atheism.....
You're perpetually confused. There is no need to choose to not-believe. Concluding that your multi-gods, Vishnu, Jupiter, Zeus, etc., are inventions of mankind is a perfectly rational conclusion.

The belief in "gods" had to have had its beginning in the belief of one god.

The belief in "gods" had to have had its beginning in the belief of one god.
Not at all. There were many religions and many gods fronting for those religions that pre-date Judaism and Christianity for example. We have the Greek and Roman pantheons as examples of religions that existed prior to or coincident with Christianity. We see in those religions the morphing of characteristics that define the gods. You need only read the OT (Hebrew scriptures stolen by christianity), and the NT to understand the morphing of the gods. Zeus was descended from earlier ancient entities, the Titans. Zeus was the son of Kronos and Rhea. Kronos was himself the child of Ouranos and Gaia. The inventors of religions tend to steal ruthlessly from earlier belief systems and earlier inventions of supernatural characters. That's evident in his formulation of christianity. This is not at all uncommon with religions. There actually are recognizable patterns where various religions tend to define their gods as simply grander and more powerful versions of their own political or social constructs. Zeus was little more than just another Greek tyrant.

Basing your argument on what a definition does not include is ridiculous.

Funny thing, I am not doing that, I am challenging you to defend your assertion that atheists who view atheism as their religion are wrong. So far, all you have done is to deflect into earwax.

Lets try this again, why are they wrong?

Basing your argument on what a definition does not include is ridiculous.

Funny thing, I am not doing that, I am challenging you to defend your assertion that atheists who view atheism as their religion are wrong. So far, all you have done is to deflect into earwax.

Lets try this again, why are they wrong?
There have been definition after definition shown that atheism does not fit into any category of the term religion. When you start including what is not in a definition then you have no argument anymore. A definition only provies what the meaning of the word is, not what the meaning of the word isn't.

Forum List

Back