Athiests terrified by crosses.

Given the obvious phobia atheists display of crosses, I am surprised they are even able to drive through an intersection.
A sane and sober person wonders, if they eschew god, why they are so fearful and offended when someone else displays this common christian symbol that they make such a terrible and terrified outcry.

Envy I think. Believing in G-d is a very desireable quality to possess. But for many, it's all but impossible because to believe in something they require proof. Since G-d can't be proven (or disproven) they remain without belief in it. Though perfectly rational, it's also kind of a bummer. So anyone displaying this belief is attacked just as religious people attack those who are sex-positive and having lots and lots of great sex. :)

Given the obvious phobia atheists display of crosses, I am surprised they are even able to drive through an intersection.
A sane and sober person wonders, if they eschew god, why they are so fearful and offended when someone else displays this common christian symbol that they make such a terrible and terrified outcry.

Envy I think. Believing in G-d is a very desireable quality to possess. But for many, it's all but impossible because to believe in something they require proof. Since G-d can't be proven (or disproven) they remain without belief in it. Though perfectly rational, it's also kind of a bummer. So anyone displaying this belief is attacked just as religious people attack those who are sex-positive and having lots and lots of great sex. :)
What you say makes sense. Except, I think religious people having lots and lots of sex just don't feel the need to talk about it all the time.

Gallant Warrior is gallant. HE carries a real sword.

Smooch to GW!

Maybe they are vampires. ;)

I actuall thought of that, tongue-in-cheek. But really, if they honestly do not believe in a god, why are they apparently always demanding that others' symbols be pulled down. What is it about such symbols that enrage them and drive them to react so fearfully.

They are not really SURE of their own non belief?

Last post for the night.

Sweet dreams Gallant Warrior...and everyone else. :)

I actuall thought of that, tongue-in-cheek. But really, if they honestly do not believe in a god, why are they apparently always demanding that others' symbols be pulled down. What is it about such symbols that enrage them and drive them to react so fearfully.

They are not really SURE of their own non belief?
What
Last post for the night.

Sweet dreams Gallant Warrior...and everyone else. :)

Thanks, Gracie...don't let the bedbugs bite!

What am I missing here?

What fear are you referring to?

The 1st Amendment guarantees a secular government free from all religion. Nothing more and nothing less. Religious symbols abound in this society and they are of all faiths. But when it comes to government any religious symbol is a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Standing up for 1st Amendment rights has nothing to do with fear. It has everything to do with upholding the rights of individuals to choose. The government cannot impose a religion without infringing upon those individual rights.

I could care less if people display crosses.

I DO CARE if my GOVERNMENT does it.

That's strictly prohibited by the Constitution of the United States.

Want to really annoy an atheist? Ask them for THEIR proof for their BELIEF. :) Not believing in gods requires just as much proof as believing in them. And since you can't prove a negative...:)

Ok, can go more into it. :)

In order to prove the non-existence of gods you'd have to possess knowledge of the entire universe and everything in it to ensure that nothing anywhere might be called a god. Obviously, we're bound to this planet and what we can learn from it. Gods might exist and simply be on some other planet somewhere, but you'd never know it.

We can believe anything we like without requiring any proof of it. But to make a decalrative statement like "There's no such things as gods." requires proof.

Ok, can go more into it. :)

In order to prove the non-existence of gods you'd have to possess knowledge of the entire universe and everything in it to ensure that nothing anywhere might be called a god. Obviously, we're bound to this planet and what we can learn from it. Gods might exist and simply be on some other planet somewhere, but you'd never know it.

We can believe anything we like without requiring any proof of it. But to make a decalrative statement like "There's no such things as gods." requires proof.

No. Tell me why you want to really annoy an atheist. Doesn't sound very spiritual of you.

They re just pissed because their symbol wasn't there.

If they were to display anything with a "religious" connotation for them, I suppose it would be a dollar bill. Seems all they care about is money.

I'm finding this thread kind of bizarre.

First you have religious people basically taking the michael, I though religious people were supposed to be nice, ie, not making jokes at other people's expenses even if it is not meant to hurt or whatever.

The other point that is bizarre is making assumptions about what atheists do or don't like.

I'm not an atheist, I'm non-religious, in that I won't say something is not true, unless I KNOW it's not true.
In fact, my boss basically said he's an atheist, but I'm not sure he even knows why, he hasn't thought about it much. But it struck me as ironic that an atheist could diss religious people for saying "God exists" but then basically say "God doesn't exist" and for me, this is exactly the same thing.

So for religious people to mickey take atheists, for me, is ironic and hilarious.

(similar to when I saw someone's doppelganger and said "he looks like you", the guy said "i'm not fat")

Forum List

Back