Athiests terrified by crosses.

Want to really annoy an atheist? Ask them for THEIR proof for their BELIEF. :) Not believing in gods requires just as much proof as believing in them. And since you can't prove a negative...:)

Lack of evidence is not a "belief" it is a fact. Until evidence can be provided to the contrary the facts stand uncontested.

And no, having to explain that over and over is not annoying in the least. :D

Ok, can go more into it. :)

In order to prove the non-existence of gods you'd have to possess knowledge of the entire universe and everything in it to ensure that nothing anywhere might be called a god. Obviously, we're bound to this planet and what we can learn from it. Gods might exist and simply be on some other planet somewhere, but you'd never know it.

We can believe anything we like without requiring any proof of it. But to make a decalrative statement like "There's no such things as gods." requires proof.

There is no such thing as a square circle anywhere in the universe because it is a contradiction.

An omnipotent God is also a contradiction. If God cannot create something that he cannot destroy then he cannot be omnipotent because there is something that he cannot do. The reverse is also true that if he can create something that he cannot destroy then he cannot be omnipotent either.

Ergo there is no such thing as an omnipotent God.

And just to clarify that doesn't mean that there cannot exist beings with "god like powers". But having "god like powers" is not the same thing as being omnipotent. A sufficiently advanced alien race capable of teleporting themselves on and off the earth would appear to have "god like powers" since that is something we mere mortals cannot do.

Why attack something, some symbol you claim has no meaning but, that serves as a comfort to others?

So you would have no problem with the a court building having a satanic symbol on top of it because that "serves as a comfort to others"?

How about a police station with Sharia Law above the doorway serving as a "comfort to others"?

Want to really annoy an atheist? Ask them for THEIR proof for their BELIEF. :) Not believing in gods requires just as much proof as believing in them. And since you can't prove a negative...:)

One particularly disturbing story had Kuklinski noting that a man he was going to kill was asking God to spare him. So Kuklinski told the man that if he could convince God to pardon him, then Kuklinski wouldn't kill him. He gave the man 30 minutes. At 31 minutes, he shot him.
'Iceman' Richard Kuklinski Makes Man Pray For Half Hour Before Killing Him On 'Mobsters' (VIDEO)

Works for me. :D

Ok, can go more into it. :)

In order to prove the non-existence of gods you'd have to possess knowledge of the entire universe and everything in it to ensure that nothing anywhere might be called a god. Obviously, we're bound to this planet and what we can learn from it. Gods might exist and simply be on some other planet somewhere, but you'd never know it.

We can believe anything we like without requiring any proof of it. But to make a decalrative statement like "There's no such things as gods." requires proof.

No. Tell me why you want to really annoy an atheist. Doesn't sound very spiritual of you.

Never claimed I was very spiritual or religious. As a matter of fact, I'm neither atheist nor theist. Rather I believe gods are something much more mundane than religion proposes. I don't believ ein 'ghosts' or the supernatural, but at the same time I don't believe every religion ever conceived was made up by liars and deceivers, I think they simply used the words available to them at the time of the religion's conception.

If you'd never seen an airplane, or any other man-made flying machine how would describe it? You'd use whatever words you did have. Maybe like, "It looked like a bird soaring while not flapping it's wings." But you'd have to describe it somehow using whatever concepts and words people of the time had access to. If you had mythology already of angels or other humanoid flying creatures you might use that to describe 'men' flying around in the sky. Instead of say alien visitors in spacecraft.

Last edited:
Why attack something, some symbol you claim has no meaning but, that serves as a comfort to others?

So you would have no problem with the a court building having a satanic symbol on top of it because that "serves as a comfort to others"?

How about a police station with Sharia Law above the doorway serving as a "comfort to others"?

Why would those things bother me?

They re just pissed because their symbol wasn't there.

If they were to display anything with a "religious" connotation for them, I suppose it would be a dollar bill. Seems all they care about is money.

no, its this....
canstock0730972.jpg

Perhaps because they are a violation of your 1st Amendment rights?

Given the obvious phobia atheists display of crosses, I am surprised they are even able to drive through an intersection.
A sane and sober person wonders, if they eschew god, why they are so fearful and offended when someone else displays this common christian symbol that they make such a terrible and terrified outcry.

SAy what?

Given the obvious phobia atheists display of crosses...

Kid?

I think you're confusing VAMPIRES (who are figments of our imaginations) with Atheists who are merely people who do not believe in GOD.

Perhaps because they are a violation of your 1st Amendment rights?

The government violates my First Amendment rights in far more aggregious ways every minute of every day. The government also violates my 2d and 4th Amendment rights each and every day. Funny, I don't notice the same culprits screeching, filin suit,or demanding that those violations of our rights be immediately remediated.

Given the obvious phobia atheists display of crosses, I am surprised they are even able to drive through an intersection.
A sane and sober person wonders, if they eschew god, why they are so fearful and offended when someone else displays this common christian symbol that they make such a terrible and terrified outcry.

SAy what?

Given the obvious phobia atheists display of crosses...

Kid?

I think you're confusing VAMPIRES (who are figments of our imaginations) with Atheists who are merely people who do not believe in GOD.

Vampires respect others in ways atheists do not. Vampires at least have some reason to fear Christian symbology because it causes them some harm. Whereas, the"harm" alleged by atheists is a figment of their imagination.

Does the Christian Persecution Complex have an expiration date? (Jon Stewart) :)

Fascinating that you say that. I guess atheists would have a very hard time in America where there are crosses on private property everywhere.

Maybe they are vampires. ;)

I actuall thought of that, tongue-in-cheek. But really, if they honestly do not believe in a god, why are they apparently always demanding that others' symbols be pulled down. What is it about such symbols that enrage them and drive them to react so fearfully.

We've got maybe a hundred crosses on hillsides here in San Diego Co. ... on private hillsides. Haven't heard of any atheists demanding that they be pulled down. Imagine that.

I actuall thought of that, tongue-in-cheek. But really, if they honestly do not believe in a god, why are they apparently always demanding that others' symbols be pulled down. What is it about such symbols that enrage them and drive them to react so fearfully.

You're painting with too broad a brush. The militant troll atheists who have a conniption every time they see a cross and have to go out of their way to tell people there is no god isn't the same atheist as the guy who just doesn't believe in god and goes about his business. Now, I'm opposed to religious symbolism on government property simply because it doesn't belong on government property, but I don't go out of my way to demand that headstones in military cemeteries not have a cross or star or whatever. I can live with the Ten Commandments in courthouses provided other legal documents are along side of it and it's not there just because it's a religious gesture.

It's like pointing out that the soccer mom that goes to church but never reads the Bible and the catholic school girl who wears a crucifix but sucks dick with the best of them and the crazy cat lady yelling about the end of the world on street corners are all Christians because they believe in Christ. Do they deserve to be tarred with the same brush when discussing militant Christianity?

You're painting with too broad a brush. The militant troll atheists who have a conniption every time they see a cross and have to go out of their way to tell people there is no god isn't the same atheist as the guy who just doesn't believe in god and goes about his business. Now, I'm opposed to religious symbolism on government property simply because it doesn't belong on government property, but I don't go out of my way to demand that headstones in military cemeteries not have a cross or star or whatever. I can live with the Ten Commandments in courthouses provided other legal documents are along side of it and it's not there just because it's a religious gesture.

It's like pointing out that the soccer mom that goes to church but never reads the Bible and the catholic school girl who wears a crucifix but sucks dick with the best of them and the crazy cat lady yelling about the end of the world on street corners are all Christians because they believe in Christ. Do they deserve to be tarred with the same brush when discussing militant Christianity?

I agree with your statements on the issue. I view the 10 Commandments as a codified set of laws. Because I do not share a belief in an all powerful, all knowing being, to me the Commandments represent a code of law as proposed by the leadership in the time and place they originated. That is one concept I would think most atheists could understand.
Memorial displays should be considered on individual merit. Does a cross erected as a memorial to all those who fell in a particular incident dishonor any who were not necessarily of the faith most likely to use the symbol displayed in such circumstances?
Yes, I did generalize. I am fully cognizant that the greatest majority of atheists probably go about their lives without creating much notable furor. But like most groups holding specific opinions, they will seldom police the miscreants among them, probably because they do not disagree.

[Atheists ] terrified by crosses.

They are more terrified of lack of media attention, the only way atheist activists can feel any degree of relevancy.

What am I missing here?

What fear are you referring to?

The 1st Amendment guarantees a secular government free from all religion. Nothing more and nothing less. Religious symbols abound in this society and they are of all faiths. But when it comes to government any religious symbol is a violation of the 1st Amendment.
Standing up for 1st Amendment rights has nothing to do with fear. It has everything to do with upholding the rights of individuals to choose. The government cannot impose a religion without infringing upon those individual rights.

I think it goes further than that. Remember when Obama wanted elected so he told us he was a Christian? What Christian do you know that insists crosses be removed or covered if he is going to be in the vicinity? That is a Muslim move, and has nothing to do with politics, other than being lied to by a politician.

It always struck me as funny that atheists get offended by something they say they don't believe in.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back