AZ Medicaid Expansion

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Arizona Medicaid Expansion Advances After Jan Brewer Forces Lawmakers' Hands

Arizona will expand Medicaid to cover nearly 300,000 poor residents next year after a bipartisan coalition passed a measure backed by Gov. Jan Brewer (R) through the state legislature on Thursday.

Brewer, a conservative and avowed foe of President Barack Obama's health care reform law, announced her support for the Medicaid expansion in January, but faced stiff resistance from fellow Republicans in Arizona's House and Senate. During a marathon session that began Wednesday afternoon and stretched into the wee hours of Thursday morning before culminating in a final vote late Thursday afternoon, a handful of Republicans joined Democrats in the House and Senate to pass the Medicaid expansion.

Although Obama's health care law continues to divide elected officials and the public along starkly partisan lines, Brewer is one of nine Republican governors who have bucked their party and embraced the Medicaid expansion.

I don't know why loony Brewer changed her mind but I used to live there and I know just how backward AZ is on some issues. I know people who are thanking their lucky stars tonight.

Forum List

Back