Baby Veronica Returned to Adoptive Parents

I've read some poorly written newspaper accounts but Tulsa takes the cake. I ain't got a clue what the story was about.

I've read some poorly written newspaper accounts but Tulsa takes the cake. I ain't got a clue what the story was about.

If this is the first you have heard of this case then I am not surprised the article didn't make much sense.

I started a previous thread on this but couldn't find it.

The bio mom signed adoption papers at birth, child lived with adoptive parents for almost 2 years, then bio dad--who had terminated parental rights invoked the Native American law and was granted custody of Baby V. She lived with him for 2 years. The Supreme Court ruled that the child belonged with the adoptive parents in June of this year. Bio dad refused to return the child--so from June to September he has been contesting the SC ruling in every way that he could. It appears he exhausted his options and now the child has been returned to the adoptive parents.

Legally--according to the Supreme Court --it seems the child should be with the adoptive parents. I personally don't have much regard for the bio dad. fwiw.

it was simply a test of the native american law that says indian children should remain with the tribe regardless of the cost to the child. this law allows children who have been legally adopted to be yanked from their homes to defend their rights and culture as indians....seems that preserving the indian culture is more important than the child...but dont even get me started on this

it was simply a test of the native american law that says indian children should remain with the tribe regardless of the cost to the child. this law allows children who have been legally adopted to be yanked from their homes to defend their rights and culture as indians....seems that preserving the indian culture is more important than the child...but dont even get me started on this

agreed. shrug--After the Supreme Court rules the matter would seem to be settled--but good to know, I suppose, that is not always the case. Legal alternatives were seemingly explored and exhausted. Who knows if other legal options exist--the State of OK seemed unwilling to honor the State of SC's request to return the child. Then the child was relocated for several months to tribal jurisdiction--?? beyond either state's laws--beyond the Supreme Court's ruling--not clear how it was finally resolved.

Sick and tired of scenarios like this when children are pawns--that is how it seemed to me, at least. However others may choose to live their lives--I couldn't and wouldn't do this to a child. Which is neither here nor there. I seem to say that a lot lately--but then--'SEX'--without considering the possible outcomes is not something I am 'down' with.

Forum List

Back