Bama Fans! Fun question for you.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
I know there are a few fans of the Crimson Tide here. This question is the result of a conversation I had with my brother.

What are your 5 favorite plays in Alabama football history?

I'll list mine in a reply.

Ok, my 5 favorite plays. In reverse order just to be dramatic.

#5 The Sack - Cornelius Bennett sacked Notre Dame QB Steve Beuerlein and leveled him like a train hitting a Yugo. Beuerlein, a 5th year senior, said later that he had never been hit that hard.

#4 The Strip - In the Sugar Bowl against the Miami Hurricanes, for the national championship (We were ranked #2 and Miami was ranked #1). Miami talked trash all week, saying we couldn't keep up with them. One of the really loud, obnoxious players was Lamar Thomas. He was a wide receiver and a track star. George Teague humiliated him. The play doesn't count because of an off-sides penalty. But it completely broke Miami's spirit.

#3 2nd and 26 - Tua comes back from a 16 yard sack on 1st down, in OT against Georgia for the national championship. The only play from the Saban era. Tua played this like a pro. He looked off the safety, keeping his eyes on the right, until he threw a dart to Devonta Smith for the win. Georgia was so psyched. They had already scored a field goal. All they had to do was stop us from scoring. They could taste it. Alas.

#2 The Catch - Tyrone Prothro's amazing catch behind the back of the defender. Prothro could barely see the ball. But he hung on and scored a TD.

#1 The Goalline Stand - In the Sugar Bowl against Penn State for the championship. They were #1 and we were #2. Great game overall. Both teams left it all on the field. Seeing Bear Bryant and Joe Paterno facing off was epic. I was at this game. The score was 14-7 in favor of Alabama. But Penn State had momentum after a Bama fumble and a good run by their big back. It was 1st and goal at the Alabama 8 yardline. 8 yards from a tie or from taking the lead. Don McNeal makes a great play to stop the receiver from getting in. He was covering someone else and broke off to come up and prevent the score. But the ball was on the 1 yard line. 3rd down. They got about half on the next run play up the middle. Then it was all on the line. And Bama's defense held. Barry Krauss basically CAUGHT the diving RB in the air and kept him from crossing the line.

The weird thing about football in Alabama is you can have the worst season, but if Alabama or Auburn beats the other it's not considered a losing season. My favorite play is the entire game of the 1993 Sugar Bowl blow out against Miami.

The weird thing about football in Alabama is you can have the worst season, but if Alabama or Auburn beats the other it's not considered a losing season. My favorite play is the entire game of the 1993 Sugar Bowl blow out against Miami.

That was an awesome game. Our defense completely dismantled Miami. Testaverde didn't know what hit him.

The Alabama/auburn thing is absolutely right. And you can have a decent season, and lose to the in-state rival and the season is a bust.

Forum List

Back