Ban Non-English Media in America

Why? Why is it worth teaching? Why is cursive any more necessary than teaching Morse Code? Nobody writes anymore.
Nobody writes anymore? Are you kidding me? :)
When you were in school what did you do? ;)

I'm 51. We did not have computers or iphones when I was in school. I have two teenagers. They don't write. Everything is done on the computer. Homework exists in the cloud. It's a brave new world...that doesn't need cursive.

We have hover boards now, we don't need to teach our children how to walk. It's a brave new world......:eusa_doh:

There is a difference between not teaching cursive and not teaching writing. One can write without using cursive.

cursive
  1. 1.
    written with the characters joined.
    "cursive script"
noun
noun: cursive
  1. 1.
    cursive writing.

Absolutely, Muslim "calligraphy" < is writing. Sadly, our children don't live in Saudi Arabia. They live in the land that writes in cursive. Which is why it has been taught to us all these years. Common core not only came from Saudi Arabia, it includes religion in our class rooms. Our children can now write, Allah is the one true God, in Arabic. It has more to do with agenda than education.

:cuckoo:

The land that writes in cursive? Cursive hasn't been commonly used for a long time now. We are more the land that writes in print, when we write at all instead of typing.

Common core came from Saudi Arabia? I can't wait to see your evidence for that. :popcorn:

Oh, and the 7 year old that I take care of cannot write anything in Arabic.

It is too bad that some Americans have as much ignorance of other languages as geography. Argentina is in America and the language there is Spanish.

I'm 51. We did not have computers or iphones when I was in school. I have two teenagers. They don't write. Everything is done on the computer. Homework exists in the cloud. It's a brave new world...that doesn't need cursive.

We have hover boards now, we don't need to teach our children how to walk. It's a brave new world......:eusa_doh:

There is a difference between not teaching cursive and not teaching writing. One can write without using cursive.

cursive
  1. 1.
    written with the characters joined.
    "cursive script"
noun
noun: cursive
  1. 1.
    cursive writing.

Absolutely, Muslim "calligraphy" < is writing. Sadly, our children don't live in Saudi Arabia. They live in the land that writes in cursive. Which is why it has been taught to us all these years. Common core not only came from Saudi Arabia, it includes religion in our class rooms. Our children can now write, Allah is the one true God, in Arabic. It has more to do with agenda than education.

:cuckoo:

The land that writes in cursive? Cursive hasn't been commonly used for a long time now. We are more the land that writes in print, when we write at all instead of typing.

Common core came from Saudi Arabia? I can't wait to see your evidence for that. :popcorn:

Oh, and the 7 year old that I take care of cannot write anything in Arabic.

My daughter in high school can write cursive- because it has been required- and doesn't know how to write in Arabic because it has never been offered.

She did have the opportunity within our school district to learn write in Chinese, Korean, Italian French and Spanish.

You know...............cursive is one of those skills that is going the way of the dodo.

Why learn cursive when you can text on your phone, type on your computer, or print when you absolutely have to use a piece of paper and a pen?

Matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that in this day and age, anyone under the age of 18 probably (unless they go to a really fancy school) doesn't know how to write cursive, and if you gave them a note written in it, they would ask you what language it is in.

Why should children learn cursive? You might as well teach them Morse Code. It's about as useful today.

Cursive is a dying art- but it is still worth teaching and they still teach it in our school district.

Why? Why is it worth teaching? Why is cursive any more necessary than teaching Morse Code? Nobody writes anymore.

Your analogy fails. Children are taught to write, just not cursive. It would be like teaching a person who can walk and run to skip. Fun, but pointless.

You know...............cursive is one of those skills that is going the way of the dodo.

Why learn cursive when you can text on your phone, type on your computer, or print when you absolutely have to use a piece of paper and a pen?

Matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that in this day and age, anyone under the age of 18 probably (unless they go to a really fancy school) doesn't know how to write cursive, and if you gave them a note written in it, they would ask you what language it is in.
Cursive is OFF TOPIC. :biggrin:

It is too bad that some Americans have as much ignorance of other languages as geography. Argentina is in America and the language there is Spanish.
"America" is a word that is used to describe the United States of America. NO. Argentina is NOT in America.It is in South America.

For those who might have missed it >>> :biggrin:

NATION - a stable, historically developed community of people, with a territory, economic life,distinctive culture and language in common. (Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th edition)

No charge for the tutoring. Same goes for all the airheads mentioning facism, bigotry, or whatever other off topic, and unrelated things they're babbling about

Last edited:
Once again protectionist wants to violate the rights of Americans and proposes pissing on the Constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;

Telling an American that they cannot speak in German or print a newspaper in Spanish would be abridging freedom of speech and the press.

To anyone but a Constitution hating xenophobe.

FALSE! Establishing English as the national language and banning non-English, has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment (this is a common liberal tactic; as is use of the silly "xenophobe" card - :rolleyes:)

The 1st amendment has only to do with speech CONTENT, not speech FORM. :biggrin:

No charge for the tutoring

A veteran of foreign ancestry comes home from the war after serving in the US military and decides to publish a paper targeted to other veterans and their families about serving in the US Military and how important it is to understand the importance of serving. Knowing that many in that community, he or she decides to publish the paper or magazine in his or hers native tongue and to target an audience of others who may be able to speak English, but are not fluent or expert at reading it. The OP is suggesting that the veteran does not or should not have a 1st Amendendment right to free speech.

Last edited:
LOL- once again- no. God you are ignorant.

Now it is quite common for the majority in a nation to impose a national language- after the fact- and require everyone to learn the national language.

For example- France- France originally had a myriad of languages- most of them descended from Latin- long after the country of France was established, the uniform French language was forced upon all French citizens.

China is another example- China likes to say that Cantonese is a dialect of Mandarin- but a Cantonese speaker cannot understand Mandarin. Mandarin was imposed as a national language by the Communist Chinese. There are several major language groups in China and many more smaller groups.

Meanwhile- Switzerland has had 4 official languages for several hundred years.

Ignorance- thy name is protectionist.
You would have flunked my Geography class.
Just because that a political organization exists that way while having more than one language, doesn't mean it is a NATION.

You simply don't know what A NATION is. The point of reference is the DISTINCTIVE LANGUAGE/CULTURE, not the political organization. When that DISTINCTIVE LANGUAGE/CULTURE is present, THEN you have a nation. Any group of people can call themselves a nation. That doesn't make them be one.

Canada is not a NATION, nor is the USA nowadays, with so many things printed in Spanish, telephone recordings, Spanish TV and radio, billboards, etc. When I was a kid, the USA was a nation. Democrats have ruined that, and turned us into a multicultural mess. :rolleyes:

A veteran of foreign ancestry comes home from the war after serving in the US military and decides to publish a paper targeted to other veterans and their families about serving in the US Military and how important it is to understand the importance of serving. Knowing that many in that community, he or she decides to publish the paper or magazine in his or hers native tongue and to target an audience of others who may be able to speak English, but are not fluent or expert at reading it. The OP is suggesting that the veteran does not or should not have a 1st Amendendment right to free speech.
NO the OP is not suggesting that one iota. And this subject of free speech has already been addressed about 6 times, Shame on you for posting without reading the thread.

PS - the amendment of free speech is the weakest part of the Constitution. It has numerous exceptions (Example: slander, libel, perjury, threats, inciting riot, fraud, obscenity laws, noise ordinances, etc.

NO the OP is not suggesting that one iota. And this subject of free speech has already been addressed about 6 times, Shame on you for posting without reading the thread.

PS - the amendment of free speech is the weakest part of the Constitution. It has numerous exceptions (Example: slander, libel, perjury, threats, inciting riot, fraud, obscenity laws, noise ordinances, etc.
There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that designates free speech only applies when it is spoken or written in English. The same restrictions you mention would apply if the speech was in Russian or Arabic, Spanish or Chinese.

Ban Non-English Media in America

WHY? Sometimes watching / reading certain foreign media is the only way I can get what's REALLY going on in this country because of the massive biased media in this country. As Wikileaks has demonstrated, there are a LOT of media outlets and reporters 'in the tank' for Hillary this election, and just about every media site, newspaper, etc is biased one way or the other.
Of course the media is heavily biased in favor of Hillary. One would have to be living in a closet for the past 6 months to not know that. But that is beside the point that a distinctive language/culture is what makes a nation a nation.

When you have more than one language, with people running around unable to understand each other, you have chaos.

Example: Recently, a landscaper in my apartment complex parked his truck blocking my car from getting out. I tracked the guy down, about 100 yards away and asked him to move his truck, which he promptly did.

Lucky for me, I'm Hispanic and I speak Spanish fluently, since this guy spoke only Spanish (no English)

And for those of you in this thread, not fluent in Spanish, would you like to explain how you would have handled this predicament ? (at 10:30 AM on a weekday and no one else around to help you)

For those who might have missed it >>> :biggrin:

NATION - a stable, historically developed community of people, with a territory, economic life,distinctive culture and language in common. (Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th edition)

No charge for the tutoring. Same goes for all the airheads mentioning facism, bigotry, or whatever other off topic, and unrelated things they're babbling about

So Switzerland is not a nation in your opinion- and neither is Canada?

Meanwhile- what does Merriam Webster say is the definition?

Definition of NATION

Simple Definition of nation
  • : a large area of land that is controlled by its own government
Full Definition of nation
  1. 1 a (1) : nationality 5a (2) : a politically organized nationality (3) : a non-Jewish nationality <why do the nations conspire — Psalms 2:1 (Revised Standard Version)> b : a community of people composed of one or more nationalities and possessing a more or less defined territory and government c : a territorial division containing a body of people of one or more nationalities and usually characterized by relatively large size and independent status

2. 2 archaic : group, aggregation

3. 3 : a tribe or federation of tribes (as of American Indians)

Forum List

Back