Ban Sugary Drinks but Legalize Pot?

For those opposed to the legalization of pot, I think they deserved to be thrown in a cage for a couple months, for using the government approved drug of their choice(caffeine, alcohol, tobacco etc), and see how they like it. Locking people in a cage for exercising their own free will over their bodies independent of others is uncivilized.

As far as what Bloomberg supports, it is just as uncivilized and antithetical to the idea of liberty. However, if we are going to have socialized medicine(Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare), we are opening the door to the government regulating or dietary preferences. After all, if we are all paying into a public safety net for people's healthcare, it seems only logical to curb eating in excess which harms health. You give the government an inch and they will take a mile.

I think at the end of the day the best way to take aim at the food and beverage industry which mass produce artificially processed and high fructose corn syrup based foods is to end farm subsidies, particularly to the corn industry. High fructose corn syrup is known to cause cancer, diabetes, and brain damage, it seems insane for the government to subsidize such an unhealthy substance indirectly. This would also go a long way towards breaking the oligopoly big ag farmers have on the agricultural sector in this country and would force them to lower their artificially high prices.

Yes.

There is no reason for the government to be paying farmers to sell a product. The product (particularly something like food) stands on its own.

The ONLY thing the government should be doing in the food industry is verifying safety and ensuring no monopoly exists.

What they are doing now is encouraging monopolization.

I'll agree with the two ends of your as-usual thoughtful post and disagree vehemently with the middle part in bold.

Consumers do not lead manufacturing; it's the other way around. And that "we're only giving the public what it wants" song and dance is the biggest farce in commerce. It's like the creation of SUVs... I just can't remember the public outcry of demonstrators in Detroit demanding that cars grow to ginormous inverted bathtubs. No, industry comes up with this crap in the quest for profits, and it doesn't care what the ramifications on public safety are. As we've already noted in this thread, desiring foods with less sugar is all well and good but rotsa ruck actually finding any to buy. The stupormarket shelf is full of poison.

I do agree that public awareness is the direct effective approach and that government mandates address the symptom rather than the disease. But once the public is aware, and yet still has no access to real nutrition --- what do you do then?

And please, no more telling me to go start my own freaking food conglomerate. Be serious.

DISCLAIMER: all right, after typing this I realize that I used the term ‘you’ a LOT. Don’t misconstrue that as personal. I am referring to people in general and I am too lazy atm to go back and reword everything ;)

Bullshit again. Your statement was direct: "Massive, continuous overuse of sugar caused that", referring immediately to my hypoglycemia, a statement you have no basis for making whatsoever, and which is massive, continuous use of absolute bullshit. Man up and take responsibility for that. I'm not even bothering to read any further until you take that back and own it.

Hi Pogo sorry to see you get stuck in frustration. I don't think F meant anything personal.
I think your frustration is underestimated and not understood by me and others here who are not so affected by the lack of choices in the market.
I'm sorry if we do not understand your pain for lack of experience, and if anything said to try to help ends up insulting or frustrating you more, which is certainly not the intent.

I just wanted to catch up and give you a heads up.
The other day I actually started eating steak WITHOUT drowning it in A1, just ate it plain,
and thought of you and your pursuit of tomato sauce au naturel. I actually enjoyed the natural flavor of the steak all by itself, thanks to you, so thank you for that.

My bf starting eating My Fit Foods, so again I thought of you finding some kitchen outfit locally, and hooking up with some cook who will prepare what you want without sugar. A friend of mine gets his pizza custom made by talking with the mgr and always going to the same restaurant. If you can get some sugar free products and recipes going with a local vendor, THEY can be in charge of that, not you if you aren't interested in doing the work.

This is another reason why we need to go back to supporting and growing local businesses.
so you can go back to asking to have things made a certain way, like inthe old days. And if costs a little more, that difference is worth it, next to being frustrated.

With tomatoes, while you're still looking for a local kitchen or deli that could prepare this fresh for you,
can you buy and freeze your own tomatoes and make your own at home;
freeze it and just use what you need for the sauce. by Murphy's law by the time you go through all this extra trouble to do this yourself, some better option will come along.

One of my former coworkers found out she had hypoglycemia and had to change her diet, so maybe I could ask her for some tips. She is very frugal, almost to a fault and may know some shortcuts.
She likes the Kashi cereals and makes her own sushi because she happens to like Japanese food and culture anyway as a hobby. My mother collects macrobiotic recipes online. if there are other diabetic support groups you can contact, aren't there other ppl going through this same issue of finding the products at different stores so you can swap tips of where to go to get the best stuff? As frustrated as you are, other people must go through this too, so how to assemble that information and not re-invent the wheel for each person on the hunt?

Last edited:
Sugar is a lot more dangerous than cannabis; it actually has detrimental health effects.

Whether either one deserves legislation are separate questions, but as a comparison between the two, there isn't one. In other words if you took these two substances (cannabis and sugar) and decided that one of them would be subject to some kind of government restriction in the public interest, then all the science would point you to sugar.

yeah yeah, pot is the greatest thing, it cures cancer, blah blah blah, hemp ropes, blah blah, george washington grew it, blah blah......potheads havent changed in 20 years....the same bs

Sugar is a lot more dangerous than cannabis; it actually has detrimental health effects.

Whether either one deserves legislation are separate questions, but as a comparison between the two, there isn't one. In other words if you took these two substances (cannabis and sugar) and decided that one of them would be subject to some kind of government restriction in the public interest, then all the science would point you to sugar.

yeah yeah, pot is the greatest thing, it cures cancer, blah blah blah, hemp ropes, blah blah, george washington grew it, blah blah......potheads havent changed in 20 years....the same bs

Actually, cannabis users haven't changed in seven thousand years. The laws, however, were only cooked up in the last century. And there's your BS.

I'm sure Bloomberg hasn't given up yet. And those who want pot legalized will keep at it, well if they remember when the protests are.

Would you rather have the driver of the car approaching your family on the highway to have just finished a big gulp or just finished smoking a joint?

I think the only reason liberals want big sodas banned is because they know people will buy more smaller ones, resulting in more sales tax for the states and more income tax for the federal government. Same reason they want pot legalized- so they can tax it.

I don't believe for a second that they are concerned about people's health and the number one priority is confiscating and redistributing more money.

I'm sure Bloomberg hasn't given up yet. And those who want pot legalized will keep at it, well if they remember when the protests are.

Would you rather have the driver of the car approaching your family on the highway to have just finished a big gulp or just finished smoking a joint?

I think the only reason liberals want big sodas banned is because they know people will buy more smaller ones, resulting in more sales tax for the states and more income tax for the federal government. Same reason they want pot legalized- so they can tax it.

I don't believe for a second that they are concerned about people's health and the number one priority is confiscating and redistributing more money.

Considering how so many maniacs drive, I'd absolutely want them to have just finished a joint. Way safer. It's pretty incredible the lather people work themselves up to behind the wheel for no apparent reason. One thing cannabis does well is it reminds the user that there really is no apparent reason.

Forum List

Back