Ban Sugary Drinks but Legalize Pot?

Sure I am law abiding.

I don't agree with the law that outlaws pot or the size of a product I might be willing to pay for in a drink.

Marijuana Smoothie, Anyone? | Alternet
Hi Drifter
I think we agree that using legislation to regulate behavior externally is not the way to go.
Clearly it creates more complications than the problems it seeks to solve.

But where we disagree you stated clearly in your other msg.
you do not see the reality of the addiction part, and that is also why you throw
spiritual healing in the same general category with holistic and alternative treatment.

Spiritual healing in terms of deliverance has been used for centuries to rid people of demonic obsessions that no other form of therapy gets rid of.

Demonic voices and criminal illness/addictions are dangerous and deadly if left untreated.

So there is that gap between your perception and mine because of my personal experience with me overcoming uncontrollable karma beyond my own will, and other friends who could not beat an addiction and personal demons until they underwent spiritual deliverance therapy to get rid of the root core in their spirit that was blocking their free will.

the author I credit for writing the most cutting edge book pushing to research this therapy medically as a valid and necessary form of treatment is Scott Peck in Glimpses of the Devil and people of the lie. he didn't believe it either, until he saw the difference it made in treating patients with such severe schizophrenic and psychotic behavior they couldn't undergo therapy until after they went through successful deliverance first to overcome the hijacking of their minds and will by demonic voices, personalities and obsessions that were causing them to act self-destructively and reject all medical and mental help. so this saved the life of one patient, and would have saved the other had she started treatment earlier (instead she died of physical diseases that were fatal because she had never been treated for them due to her mental conditions that caused her to reject working with doctors at all) Peck urged the medical and psychiatric professionals to pursue formal medical research, and last i checked the system in Great Britain was closer to recognizing this as valid therapy. but America is behind on this because of this secular fear of separating church and state instead of using our vast medical research and educational institutions to study and prove this process is effective and natural, so it can be made accessible to more people.

our legal system is blocked from intervening in personal freedom but that is where the cure lies, so we tend to wait until problems become externalized before we address them; so we tend to chase after symptoms but are weak when it comes to addressing internal roots of the problem. we can get there by education and free choice but not if we keep skewing the information where people are not making fully informed choices.

So this issue of the reality of addiction and the spiritual therapy it takes to overcome addiction is a real key to reforming the criminal justice, mental health and medical systems, where we invest resources on prevention and not waste them on problems after the fact.

sorry to preach to the choir, drifter, as we agree on 98%

just that one point about treating addictions is where we differ
but that is a critical point to solving this whole dilemma with
addressing the root cause instead of the resulting complications!

No worries, we are friends and friends can disagree from time to time.

I understand addiction, but I don't want to prohibit the sale of alcohol either or tobacco.

I believe any healing has to be done because a person wants to, no addict can stay clean unless they have a desire for recovery.

On the medical note, pot helps those who are suffering from chemo treatments that much I know.

If a person turns to mainstream medical care and uses prescriptions and radiation, chemo etc etc I firmly believe pot should be available to help them to.

If a person wants to refuse all medical treatment I support that too but the law doesn't.

It is the law that parents take their children to medical doctors.

I think people should be allowed to purchase pot and big gulps and beer, but be educated on alternative choices.

Thanks EM :cool:

Pot smoothies... :eusa_think:... you just may have an idea here.

I'm calling Pinkberry, right now.
:cool:

Cannabis Infused Vegan Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Even though there are no dairy products or sugar in this smoothie, it’s still creamy, sweet, and satisfying. Using frozen fruit allows you to achieve a thick texture without diluting flavor. Add the optional ground hemp seeds for an additional nutrition boost.

Cannabis Cheri » Blog Archive Cannabis Infused Vegan Strawberry Banana Smoothie » Cannabis Cheri

ha ha if people are already addicted to the sugar in smoothies
then adding cannabis isn't going to help is it?

how about cannabis as a substitute for sugar in tomato soup?
would that help out our anti-sugar friends, or just cause them to crave more munchies?

I am not anti-sugar:tongue:

Pot smoothies... :eusa_think:... you just may have an idea here.

I'm calling Pinkberry, right now.

Even though there are no dairy products or sugar in this smoothie, it’s still creamy, sweet, and satisfying. Using frozen fruit allows you to achieve a thick texture without diluting flavor. Add the optional ground hemp seeds for an additional nutrition boost.

Cannabis Cheri » Blog Archive Cannabis Infused Vegan Strawberry Banana Smoothie » Cannabis Cheri

would that help out our anti-sugar friends, or just cause them to crave more munchies?

A nice idea, but I don't want any sugar in my tomato soup. I want it to taste like... tomato.

That's the problem with today's food -- everything tastes like sugar. Because it is.

I am no fun to be with in the grocery store as I have to read every label for sugar content (and other things) and grow increasingly incensed at the lack of choice. I have never ever sat down at a spaghetti dinner or a pizza and heard anyone say "please pass the sugar", so why they insist on poisoning all the pasta sauce on the shelf with it, flummoxes me.

I am, I won't hesitate to say. But I don't think sugar is addictive.

A nice idea, but I don't want any sugar in my tomato soup. I want it to taste like... tomato.

That's the problem with today's food -- everything tastes like sugar. Because it is.

I am no fun to be with in the grocery store as I have to read every label for sugar content (and other things) and grow increasingly incensed at the lack of choice. I have never ever sat down at a spaghetti dinner or a pizza and heard anyone say "please pass the sugar", so why they insist on poisoning all the pasta sauce on the shelf with it, flummoxes me.

If you have an android phone you can get an app from fooducate and then scan the bar code and it will give the product a health grade.

Fooducate | eat a bit better

Here is tomato soup

Last edited:
So true, and it's a lot more than cereals. I used to enjoy tomato soup. Can't even buy it any more without ridiculous amounts of sugar. It's been insidiously injected into everything, so much so that you can't even find an alternative product without it. It's enough to make you wish for ....... gummint intervention.

But nooooo, we'd rather lock people up for toking.

It's like ethanol in gasoline. Those who want to sell themselves a story of an alternative biofuel, fine, let 'em have it. Just stop forcing me to use it too. Leave us a choice.
yea but sadly our Govt aint doing shit about it.....and 90% of the food companies aint doing shit about it......and this sugar fix is getting out of control.....there is some form of sugar added to just about everything.....

Good. I don’t want either to do shit about it. You know who I want to fix it – ME!

If you have a problem with sugary items, try not purchasing them. I know that such a concept is very tough but there is an entire section at the market devoted to fresh produce. It has zero added sugars and is actually really quite easy to prepare. Remove from fridge – eat.

It is not difficult. The government is not going to fix this no matter how many regulations that are passed. If people want sugar, they are going to pour it on themselves or eat a candy bar. It is up to us to make decisions that affect our lives and the choices are out there, even if you refuse to see them.

I believe this is all part of some grater illness that we are facing as a people. The illness of someone else. Too much sugar in the shit we eat, someone else will fix that. The evil food corporations should be taking care of my eating habits for me, making sure that the food I buy is healthy. If not, the government should intercede on my behalf forcing them to do it. That is nuts, We are smart individuals and we can make those decisions ourselves. We, as a whole, need to stop looking to others to save us from ourselves.
i thought i was talking about little kids....not me.....maybe you read it wrong....:dunno:...little kids will eat any sweet put in front of them......if you want to see a generation of diabetics or near diabetics who will also have other problems because of that then i don't know what to tell you.....a Healthy Country is sure stronger than a sick one....

SugarPro might be a worthwhile app for your phone

It decodes the hidden sugar facts on labels

Sugar Pro (full version with new calculator functions)Description of the Program This is a program which helps to get to know different sugars, sugar synonyms, and sugar replacements in foods and beverages, and to calculate the respective energy content in kilocalories (kcal) or kilojoules (kJ).

The calculator has new functions: Now you are able to add the energy contents of variable amounts of different sugars together.Information: Today, the average amount for the ingestion of sugar per day and person is 90 to 100g. Pure sugar means pure empty calories, lacking vitamins, mineral nutrients and dietary fibres.

A large part of the sugar (up to 85%!) today is consumed unknowingly. Sugars can be found in nearly all preserves as flavouring and preserving agent, in dressings, ketchup, instant meals, soups, even unexpectedly, as in pickled gherkins, pickled herring, salty snacks, and above all, in beverages.In spite of the obligation to print ingredient lists on the labels, identification of sugar is not easy for the average consumer.

Many synonyms for the same chemical substance as well as numerous different kinds of sugars hinder their detection and calorie-counting. Who, for instance, knows that dextrose, glucose, and grape sugar mean the same substance?

And how much energy is stored in glucose syrup, invert sugar and maltodextrin? Many people replace the spoonful sugar in their coffee by an artificial sweetener, but do not consider the numerous hidden sugars in their processed food. Did you know that there are up to 30% sugar in ketchup and mustard?

On food labels, separately listed kinds of sugar together with their different weight proportions make the sugar content disappear from the top rankings! A critical sugar consumer must be able to find hidden sugars in foods when shopping!A HeinEcomp project, funded by the Heinrich-Heine-University of Düsseldorf and by edYOUnet online media.

Sugar Pro » AppCrawlr's Feature Analysis » for iphone,ipad

Yes and no, BB.

I agree with de-criminalizing pot and drugs, while still having some alternative such as the drug courts and mental health courts that address the addiction with rehab so people can become functional and keep working to support their families instead of backlogging jails.

If we don't address the addictions then the health and behavior problems end up costing taxpayers in terms of our backlogged mental health and prison systems which could be used to expand medical education, treatment and service programs to revamp health care.

If the same process of legalizing marijuana by promoting more natural herbal medical useage were also used to promote natural and free spiritual healing to cure diseases and addictions and to cut down on medical expenses so more resources can help more people then I would not object. But if people keep depending on placating symptoms instead of solving the real cause of health problems then we still are putting bandaids on wounds instead of healing them at the source, so I do have a problem with that. If people want different policies, they should have the freedom to fund the costs themselves; so people who believe in free spiritual healing can have access to the system and resources freed up by using those methods, and people who want to smoke pot can pay for any health problems, side effects, or problems not solved by using that system. And let people have an educated choice which approach is more natural and cures more diseases and addictions. i believe the spiritual healing will prove more cost-effective and medically effective, and will eventually end the need to turn to alcohol, smoking etc. because it cures the addition itself. so we will save more lives and resources both immediately and longterm, once it is medically established that spiritual healing is natural and effective and can also cure conditions where medicine alone has failed but only placates symptoms at a higher cost.

Do you realize that people read the first sentence or two of your posts and then give up?

Oh I don't. Emily's one of the most thoughtful posters around here, and I for one appreciate the time and brain sweat put into them. It beats the pissing matches and snarky quips.

Maybe more frequent paragraph breaks would make it easier on the eyes, but that's about it.

Dear Pogo BB and Drifter:
Thanks for the positive heads up as well as the honest criticisms.

I'm sure you will influence me to be shorter and more precise, like you, and
maybe I will in turn encourage people to think out the fuller context before
shooting someone down with a single word as a kneejerk reaction.

Interacting with people who take the opposite approach tends to help with "meeting in the middle," taking the best of what we each offer while correcting shortcomings we may have.

Thanks for that. Some of my responses are getting shorter already.
I usually start off with all the heavy brainstorming to explore every angle possible, and hash it all out to find the "needle in the haystack" that is the key point of agreement or disagreement.

At this point, it's either
A. seriously addressing issues of addiction and spiritual healing which would have a profound financial and legal impact on the medical, prison and mental health systems by treating abuse and addiction as cureable disease instead of just punishing crimes.

B. Or joking around about whether cannabis could be introduced as a substitute for sugar to make everyone "happy". If cannabis is less addictive and dangerous than sugar?
(still don't see this, sorry. but it is pretty funny to people who the nonsense going on)

I guess, like with the tobacco lawsuits, the end will depend on what angle the lawyers
can push to bank more money. If they can sue federal and state govt for denying spiritual healing as a FREE cure for cancer, addiction, PEDOPHILIA and other diseases that have cost lives as well as taxpayers resources, maybe we'll see change in that direction.

If companies can make more money getting people hooked on cannabis smoothies,
maybe they can pay lawyers and lobbyists enough to get those in every store!

Like spiking popcorn with more salt and butter to sell more drinks at theatres,
retailers could sell more cannabis-spiked drinks to sell more food to hungrier customers!
Who knows?

Maybe this plan should be part of the stimulus package,
to revive the economy by getting people to consume, buy and sell more food!

ha ha this whole thing is making me hungry!
I'm going to go eat whatever I want before someone passes a law to stop me!

Do you realize that people read the first sentence or two of your posts and then give up?

Oh I don't. Emily's one of the most thoughtful posters around here, and I for one appreciate the time and brain sweat put into them. It beats the pissing matches and snarky quips.

Maybe more frequent paragraph breaks would make it easier on the eyes, but that's about it.

Interacting with people who take the opposite approach tends to help with "meeting in the middle," taking the best of what we each offer while correcting shortcomings we may have.

I usually start off with all the heavy brainstorming to explore every angle possible, and hash it all out to find the "needle in the haystack" that is the key point of agreement or disagreement.

A. seriously addressing issues of addiction and spiritual healing which would have a profound financial and legal impact on the medical, prison and mental health systems by treating abuse and addiction as cureable disease instead of just punishing crimes.

B. Or joking around about whether cannabis could be introduced as a substitute for sugar to make everyone "happy". If cannabis is less addictive and dangerous than sugar?
(still don't see this, sorry. but it is pretty funny to people who the nonsense going on)

I guess, like with the tobacco lawsuits, the end will depend on what angle the lawyers
can push to bank more money. If they can sue federal and state govt for denying spiritual healing as a FREE cure for cancer, addiction, PEDOPHILIA and other diseases that have cost lives as well as taxpayers resources, maybe we'll see change in that direction.

retailers could sell more cannabis-spiked drinks to sell more food to hungrier customers!
Who knows?

Prohibition of alcohol failed but AA recovery has been successful for those who want to recover from addiction.

Because it SELLS. McDonald's spikes their hamburger patties with sugar because it SELLS.

all the push for salads and natural fruit was a response to market forces and consumer demands shifting.

So Pogo if the market does not sell what you want, that means there is an opportunity to meet a demand, which I'm sure is growing as there are other people like you who don't want to feed ourselves or our kids processed sugars.

Can you find some local farmers' markets or urban gardeners willing to sell tomato products without sugar? And get some fresh products made and marketed to local stores? who knows, you could start a business coop and trend to get that going.

you could get a small business loan or grant to encourage local economic development.
people have started their own organic produce lines this way. just meeting a local demand.

Maybe hook up with one that is already out there, and get them distributed in your market.
you would help a small business to grow and improve the consumer economy both.

seriously whenever you run across a problem like this, whatever solution you find
would help a lot of people running into the same thing. movements have been started that way, whole businesses from nothing just because there was a gap in the market. go for it!

If you have an android phone you can get an app from fooducate and then scan the bar code and it will give the product a health grade.

Here is tomato soup

Thanks -- ah don't have me wunna them thar fancy phones but I can see where this would be handy.

I've learnt to look for some of the code words though... and in the top entry in tomato soup, there it is: "Organic Evaporated Cane Juice" :evil:

But thanks, I shall peruse more.

yea but sadly our Govt aint doing shit about it.....and 90% of the food companies aint doing shit about it......and this sugar fix is getting out of control.....there is some form of sugar added to just about everything.....

Good. I don’t want either to do shit about it. You know who I want to fix it – ME!

If you have a problem with sugary items, try not purchasing them. I know that such a concept is very tough but there is an entire section at the market devoted to fresh produce. It has zero added sugars and is actually really quite easy to prepare. Remove from fridge – eat.

It is not difficult. The government is not going to fix this no matter how many regulations that are passed. If people want sugar, they are going to pour it on themselves or eat a candy bar. It is up to us to make decisions that affect our lives and the choices are out there, even if you refuse to see them.

I believe this is all part of some grater illness that we are facing as a people. The illness of someone else. Too much sugar in the shit we eat, someone else will fix that. The evil food corporations should be taking care of my eating habits for me, making sure that the food I buy is healthy. If not, the government should intercede on my behalf forcing them to do it. That is nuts, We are smart individuals and we can make those decisions ourselves. We, as a whole, need to stop looking to others to save us from ourselves.
i thought i was talking about little kids....not me.....maybe you read it wrong....:dunno:...little kids will eat any sweet put in front of them......if you want to see a generation of diabetics or near diabetics who will also have other problems because of that then i don't know what to tell you.....a Healthy Country is sure stronger than a sick one....

Harry, this is another thing I notice, speaking of kids... when a store has a line of "kids'" products (I know Ho Foods does among others) when I read the ingredients I find they're the same products as the adult versions, except with a goofy label and added sugar in the ingredients.

Check the labels - it's just insidious.

Who knows?

Emily
No one has ever accused me of being pithy.

Why even now, having made that point, I ramble on with things that don't need sayin'.

See what I mean?

Because it SELLS. McDonald's spikes their hamburger patties with sugar because it SELLS.

all the push for salads and natural fruit was a response to market forces and consumer demands shifting.

So Pogo if the market does not sell what you want, that means there is an opportunity to meet a demand, which I'm sure is growing as there are other people like you who don't want to feed ourselves or our kids processed sugars.

Can you find some local farmers' markets or urban gardeners willing to sell tomato products without sugar? And get some fresh products made and marketed to local stores? who knows, you could start a business coop and trend to get that going.

you could get a small business loan or grant to encourage local economic development.
people have started their own organic produce lines this way. just meeting a local demand.

Maybe hook up with one that is already out there, and get them distributed in your market.
you would help a small business to grow and improve the consumer economy both.

seriously whenever you run across a problem like this, whatever solution you find
would help a lot of people running into the same thing. movements have been started that way, whole businesses from nothing just because there was a gap in the market. go for it!

Oh absolutely, I understand why they do it from their perspective. What I wanna know is more the ethical/philosophical question of why I can't have an alternative. Just as I wanna know why I can't put ethanol-free gas in my car if I want to-- government forces ethanol into almost every pump. Doesn't do me a damn bit of good - it costs me mileage.

Sure, I could make my own tomato soup; or I could start a food business.
But I shouldn't have to.

And again it's not a matter of "organic" on this issue. I have plenty of organic. With organic sugar in it.

Last edited:
Prohibition of alcohol failed but AA recovery has been successful for those who want to recover from addiction.

I agree with the idea of treating alcoholism as a disease first, not just trying to punish the criminal behavior after the fact such as violence connected with alcohol abuse or drunk
driving that leads to criminal negligence or homicide.

Also the fact that these successful programs only work by FREE Choice because the process of healing by forgiveness by its nature cannot be forced but must be freely asked and received by the person for it to work. it cannot be legislated from the outside.

However, there is a limit to personal freedom, such as not letting dangerous people run freely who pose a threat to personal safety, public health and security (whether due to known alcoholic abuses, or pedophile addictions without proper supervision or treatment)

So eventually where medical research and technology can more clearly diagnose the state of someone's mental conditions as either criminally addicted, ill or abusive, it could be that legally people could be required to get treatment until they no longer test as a danger instead of waiting for them to kill or harm someone to have legal proof of the dangerous conditions.

The more specifically we can target the root cause and conditions involved in dangerous criminal behavior, then we don't have overreaching laws that burden people who aren't the problem. We should solve problems on both ends of the spectrum of either too much or too little restrictions.

Oh absolutely, I understand why they do it from their perspective. What I wanna know is more the ethical/philosophical question of why I can't have an alternative. Just as I wanna know why I can't put ethanol-free gas in my car if I want to-- government forces ethanol into almost every pump. Doesn't do me a damn bit of good - it costs me mileage.

Sure, I could make my own tomato soup; or I could start a food business.
But I shouldn't have to.

And again it's not a matter of "organic" on this issue. I have plenty of organic. With organic sugar in it.

You start by asking. If you don't want to start your own company, go petition one
that's already out there. Amy's is a family-grown business that tries to stay consumer and health oriented. Can you write or start a petition on change.org asking for tomato products that are 100% tomato and no sugar in any form? how about Paul Newman's company that was started to provide sustainable jobs and revenue for charity.

Rosa Parks and the people around her started a whole movement
by refusing to follow the status quo.

If you are running into this wall, then clearly something has to change to solve
the problem. Question is do you need to instigate the change, or alert someone
else who can better change the choices for you? Can you tap a source and show them where this market is that you would help promote their line of products?
whatever solution works best for you, ASK for that.
The worse that would happen is people would become aware
and start asking around to find a solution faster.
who knows, maybe there is an independent distributor
wiating to reach more markets who would love to work with you to get their goods out!

P.S. if you're interests/skills are not in the actual business of production/distribution
maybe it's in the field of research and consumer advocacy/watchdog

you do the barking that this product and that product needs to be improved,
embarrass or lobby the producers and/or get some other group in there
who serves the public better, and it's the job of other people to jump up and follow orders!

if so, can you hook up with a group or network that already does this?
Again maybe you could create a job for yourself getting paid commission
since it would take shifting the consumers to buy the better products
to make it economically possible. if you don't want to do the work yourself
that is how businesses are created hiring people who can do a better job at it.
but getting it organized around a focal point where there is enough DEMAND is the key
if you can locate the demand and redirect the supply to those places, that is how economy grows and changes.
supply and demand. financing better solutions that consumers will pay to have access to. you should do this since you have the knowledge and drive to get the job done.

Last edited:

Uh-oh, I'm here to tell you, I'm hopelessly addicted to sugar and if it's in the form of chocolate, even more so. I try to scorn sugar, I know it's bad, but I have good days and bad.

Harry, this is another thing I notice, speaking of kids... when a store has a line of "kids'" products (I know Ho Foods does among others) when I read the ingredients I find they're the same products as the adult versions, except with a goofy label and added sugar in the ingredients.

Check the labels - it's just insidious.

and so many of those things dont need it added on.....also many will have 2-3 different types of sugar added in the mix...

Uh-oh, I'm here to tell you, I'm hopelessly addicted to sugar and if it's in the form of chocolate, even more so. I try to scorn sugar, I know it's bad, but I have good days and bad.

i dont know if its an actual addiction.....its probably more like a craving.....more of a mental thing.....like how some people are with Pot....

Thank your for your honesty

But I doubt any addiction to sugar you have
affects your judgment in operating vehicles or machinery
or fuels paranoia or the need to deny you have a problem.

The fact you are so honest about it already shows a difference.

The friends who are that honest they had personality or addictive
disorders could not admit it until AFTER they got off the pot. While they were justifying
their habits, they tended toward denial and projection. This already
shows a difference in attitude compared with how you talk about sugar!

Forum List

Back