Beau Biden Has Died

"It is with broken hearts that Hallie, Hunter, Ashley, Jill and I announce the passing of our husband, brother and son, Beau, after he battled brain cancer with the same integrity, courage and strength he demonstrated every day of his life," the vice president said late Saturday, announcing the death of the oldest of his three children.

"The entire Biden family is saddened beyond words. We know that Beau's spirit will live on in all of us-especially through his brave wife, Hallie, and two remarkable children," he said.

The vice president said his son dedicated his life to service during stints as a lawyer, major in the Delaware National Guard and as state attorney general.

"More than his professional accomplishments, Beau measured himself as a husband, father, son and brother," said Joe Biden, who was at his son's side at the time of his death, along with the rest of the Biden family. "His absolute honor made him a role model for our family. Beau embodied my father's saying that a parent knows success when his child turns out better than he did."

"In the words of the Biden family: Beau Biden was, quite simply, the finest man any of us have ever known," the vice president added.

News from The Associated Press

Having lost a child, this cannot be an easy event for Biden to go through. It takes many years to sort through the loss.

My thoughts and prayers to Vice President and his family.
Sorry to hear about your loss too. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my daughter.

Thank you, the worst pain I ever had. Losing two children and a wife? It breaks my heart for Biden.

Oh his story is so sad beyond belief. Tragedy. Why I always gave the man a pass. And his heart is as good as gold.

Now this. Prayers for him.

I actually am impressed by the response here.

Only one post trying to politicize his death.

And no one cheering for his death.

That sadly, surprises me on this board.

RIP- best wishes for his family- no matter what your politics this would be tough for any dad, any family.

Having lost a child, this cannot be an easy event for Biden to go through. It takes many years to sort through the loss.

Sorry to hear about your loss too. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my daughter.
You would survive. You might not want to for a while, but other people do depend on you and I'm betting that you would do much as I did.
Keep the brave, public face and cry in the dark.
There are days, sometimes several in a row, that I don't even think of Ben.
The days that I am an emotional wreck are rare and I usually remember him with a smile.

I was standing there in the receiving line at Ben's funeral, making a valiant effort to keep it together when I looked to my right and saw my father crying.
Imagine burying your grandchild.

So sorry Ernie, that is the worst. I remember my wife walking in and collapsing in grief, I worried about her, she was a mess for weeks after.
Mine too. We tried a support group, but found some people still a mess after 20 years.
We just went on. We had to because there were 3 more that needed us.

You would survive. You might not want to for a while, but other people do depend on you and I'm betting that you would do much as I did.
Keep the brave, public face and cry in the dark.
There are days, sometimes several in a row, that I don't even think of Ben.
The days that I am an emotional wreck are rare and I usually remember him with a smile.

I totally agree, even times I'm alone today, I will cry. It's a pain that doesn't diminish, you just get used to it.

I was standing there in the receiving line at Ben's funeral, making a valiant effort to keep it together when I looked to my right and saw my father crying.

So sorry Ernie, that is the worst. I remember my wife walking in and collapsing in grief, I worried about her, she was a mess for weeks after.
Mine too. We tried a support group, but found some people still a mess after 20 years.

Same here, we did private counseling for a couple months, but as you say we had to go on. We worried about separating because the odds of breaking up after the death of child are so high. However, we learned to let each other grieve and I think it made us stronger. There is no other person I can talk to and know they know, what I'm feeling, except my wife.

Same here, we did private counseling for a couple months, but as you say we had to go on. We worried about separating because the odds of breaking up after the death of child are so high. However, we learned to let each other grieve and I think it made us stronger. There is no other person I can talk to and know they know, what I'm feeling, except my wife.
We lasted another year. I couldn't let my son's death be the sole focus of my life. I just couldn't talk about it every evening.
Ben died in '89 and our divorce was final in '91.

We lasted another year. I couldn't let my son's death be the sole focus of my life. I just couldn't talk about it every evening.
Ben died in '89 and our divorce was final in '91.

I understand, there are times when I tell my wife I can't talk about it right now or, she tells me the same. We respect each other's space.

You know in this horrid world of politics, Joe Biden always seemed to be the kind of guy you could walk up to and go "hey buddy".

I hurt for him. Bless his soul. I hope he knows we are out there for him and his wife and his family. His son's wife and family.

Prayers. Prayers big time for them.
So sweet.

How could you not love Joe.

Some people just have a lot of tragedy.

No punishment from God need be the case, consider His servant Job or even Joseph.

Forum List

Back