Zone1 Belief in God drops to 81 percent

It's fine by me if you want to retroactively rewrite/ interpret the Bible to conform to a preferred version, but to ignore what is written dismantles any "authority" you ascribe to the text.
Rather, it should be find with you if I point out the intent of the original author to his original audience.

It's the same fallacy that Catholics believe Mary was a perpetual virgin, when Biblical accounts have Christ with siblings.
The wording doesn't distinguish between half-siblings--or even cousins--as we do today. In fact, no one knows the reality, and therefore it is nothing over which to fight. If some think it is more likely Mary was ever virgin, so what? And if some think Mary had more children with Joseph, so what? Either way, it does not change who Jesus is. Squabbling over his mother has no purpose in how we live our lives or how we worship God.

Rather, it should be find with you if I point out the intent of the original author to his original audience.
By what authority were you granted the title of Final Arbiter of Intent?

I think you can see I'm being facetious but it goes to the very heart of your argument. You insist you know the intent surrounding hearsay events and circumstances that were written by authors unknown and which were written decades after those events allegedly occurred.

Last edited:

I think you can see I'm being facetious but it goes to the very heart of your argument. You insist you know the intent surrounding hearsay events and circumstances that were written by authors unknown and which were written decades after the those events legally occurred.

You have a point. The pentateuch was written 800 years after Moses.

Hollie, I am no authority and I am definitely no "Final Arbiter of Intent." I merely commented that we cannot take one verse and sew a vest on it--we need to read what came before the verse and what came after.

That is all I brought into the discussion. Anyone could have done that, it is no special insight that rises to any level--let alone the levels of "authority" and "arbiter".

You insist you know the intent surrounding hearsay events and circumstances that were written by authors unknown and which were written decades after those events allegedly occurred.
Referencing Paul's introduction in the first lines of the Chapter is not using "hearsay". It is merely pointing out the theme Paul is using. Anyone can double-check that for him/herself.

Lowest level in US history and down 10 percent in the last decade

I thought long and hard about kicking God to the curb after seeing what the right wing is doing with him these days.

However, I really like adding “prayers” to “thoughts” after mass shootings and I already own the clothes for Sunday so I’ll keep at it.

Referencing Paul's introduction in the first lines of the Chapter is not using "hearsay". It is merely pointing out the theme Paul is using. Anyone can double-check that for him/herself.
I have no compelling reason to accept that Paul actually wrote anything. Further, I have no compelling reason to accept that Paul was an eyewitness. Any writing allegedly from Paul is exactly that; hearsay.

I have no compelling reason to accept that Paul actually wrote anything. Further, I have no compelling reason to accept that Paul was an eyewitness. Any writing allegedly from Paul is exactly that; hearsay.

Then all of it back to Adam and Eve is hearsay.

I understand that. What is odd is the interest in taking one verse from the Letter to the Romans and declaring to people who have done an in depth study of the letter that this one verse definitely includes Mary.

The following oddity is stating a lack of acceptance that Paul actually wrote anything.

What is odd is the interest in taking one verse from the Letter to the Romans and declaring to people who have done an in depth study of the letter that this one verse definitely includes Mary
Because the word "all" has meaning.

The oddity here is you deciding words don't mean what they mean, when they get in the way of what you want them to mean.

You should read the Bible.

no one knew anything about a birth ~ 30 + years prior to the 1st century events ... much less even than authors of a book written 400 years latter who were antagonistic to the heavenly events they brought to an untimely conclusion of liberation and self determination -

mary was their example, the heavens - there is no original sin for anyone is her purpose and what she represented for those that aspired for the truth than prevailing judean religion / gov't coalition - the crucifiers.

as conforms to the spoken religion of antiquity, all that matters - no book required.

If you're trying to tell me that you're as viciously evil as C_Clayton_Jones, stow it. Your derangement is of a different sort.
... that the beginning of the end of the tyranny of rightwing Christo-fascism may be at hand; perhaps not during our lifetimes, but eventually.

look who's talking ...

your visual response to their post - only proves the depravity of your christo-fascism you would attempt to disguise using others as your foil ...

they were wrong - all three are political derision's disguised as religions ... abraham-fascism. as it has evolved.

Forum List

Back