Best shotgun for self defense ???

Federal Premium
Federal Premium offers several shotgun loads perfect for home defense. Their 12 gauge Tactical Law Enforcement and Personal Defense shotgun loads are both designed for reduced recoil. Leaving the muzzle at only 1145 feet per second, these loads are designed to deliver tight shot patterns and optimal penetration. They achieve this through a unique rear-braking FLITECONTROL wad and copper plated pellets.

Remington for Home Defense
Not to be outdone, Remington Express also has several great reduced recoil options for home defense. Remington TAC 8 Buckshot offers reduced recoil shooting and a configuration (including a one-piece wad column, polymer buffering, and 3 percent antimony pellets) that produces shot patterns 25 percent tighter than standard 00 Buck.

You're far to late to the party, you'll not find anything out there, certainly you won't find any ammo if you happen to actually locate a weapon....ammo to go, ammoman, SGammo, ammo depot, ect ect ect, all are crushed under impossible to meet demands, thus they have little, if anything to sell you anyway, and even if they do, price has inflated spectacularly and you likely cannot afford the product as it is. As a small example consider 9mm, currently the ammo I stocked up on last summer for just $240.00 - $400.00 a case(1,000)is commanding, if you can even find it, more than double that price, cheap S&B 115 fr FMJ is going for $400.00 a case, last summer you could have it for $189.00, while cheap S&B 115 gr JHP that cost just $10.00 a box last summer is now commanding over $30.00 a box, or $600.00 a case! High end premium ammo from Federal, Winchester, Speer, ect will set you back a grand for a case, again that is if you can even find it. Same thing applies to shotgun ammo, which is the primary choice of most Americans to protect home with, its all fucking gone..

Well, my 1sts grandma never had a problem with hers..lucky I wasn't in line with her shots.
She wasn't shy about shooting out that window, either. I heard her do it 3x on all separate occasions. "Who's out there? "Get outta here!" BLAM!
She had a double barrel short one. 12 gauge.

I was just thinking about 2 20 gauge semi-autos, 1 for each hand..ultimate home defense!

Well, that's going on the back burner for now..5-6 rounds apiece.
Last time I shot a 12 gauge, felt like my teeth were going to break. :no_text11:
Can't be having that.

I only want semi auto and 20 g.
I think 12g will kick too much

Must have 6 shoots
Must be super low maintenance
Anything less than 12 gauge wont be taken seriously. I think the 12 gauge pump is likely the most effective as the sound of racking a round in a 12 gauge pump is widely recognised and so well known it alone is often enough of a deterrent. For that reason I keep a Winchester SXP Home Defender marine version close at hand. The stainless construction of the marine verion keeps maintenance low.

Last edited:

Must have 6 shoots
Anything less than 12 gauge wont be taken seriously. I think the 12 gauge pump is likly to mist effective as the sound of racking a round in a 12 gauge pump is widely recognised and so well known it alone is often enough of a deterrent. For that reason ipto keep a Winchester SXP. Home Defender marine version close at hand. The stainless construction of the marine verion keeps maintenance low.

Would you like to catch some 20 gauge 2 1/2" #4 shot?

I would not!
Worst I ever caught was rock salt in the back of the earlobe.
:auiqs.jpg:My buddy caught it right in the ass!
It didn't go in far, he was wearing Levi's, I know it hurt, though.
12 gauge double barrel rock salt. That old man did not play.
Nobody ever messed with him again.
That rock salt burns! I got 1 piece on the back of my earlobe, and he got both cheeks with rocksalt under the skin. Mine didn't stay in, even. I got lucky.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about 2 20 gauge semi-autos, 1 for each hand..ultimate home defense!

Well, that's going on the back burner for now..5-6 rounds apiece.
Last time I shot a 12 gauge, felt like my teeth were going to break. :no_text11:
Can't be having that.

LOL, I only did it once, Rooster flushed and as I raised it I pulled the trigger a half second too early. The fat lip only lasted a short while :)

Must have 6 shoots

The best "shotgun" for self/home defense is an AR-15 pattern weapon, with one lower receiver and two different caliber "pistol" uppers. Right now a couple of extremely reliable small businesses are offering AR uppers in a host of calibers at extremely reasonable prices, and mostly in stock. As someone above mentioned ammo availability is variable to not at all, depending on who you know, so it's never been a better time to load and reload your own ammo.

I recommend purchasing one AR-15 pistol upper in .300 Blackout and one in .458 SOCOM, both with nothing shorter than 12.5" barrels (more on this later). .300 Blackout, while semi-expensive to run, is a caliber capable of fulfilling most any home defense need from high-velocity frangible rounds to 240+ grain subsonic loads that hit like a semi-truck up close and can be whisper quiet if suppressed. .458 SOCOM is a large diameter round capable of putting down a charging Kodiak Bear up close or penetrating construction material barriers, windshields and even car doors. Lighter, faster home defense loads exist, but where the .458 really shines is in its 500 grain+ monster bullet loads which will flatten anything that could threaten you, even if you lived during the Jurassic Period. .300 Blackout recoil is negligible, while .458 SOCOM kicks about the same as a 20 gauge slug.

Right, so once you've purchased these two uppers you'll be able to interchange them at will on the same lower receiver and very possibly use the same magazines (research it). One lower receiver, two easily switched out weapons systems. Make sure you don't go under 12.5" barrel lengths for the pistol uppers or you'll be short of the 26" overall weapon length the Feds use as a cutoff for NFA bullshit such as classifying AR weapons as SBR/pistols or AOW (any other weapons), which you don't want, if you plan to add a stock or foregrip attachments because then you'd have to worry about purchasing tax stamps for your "SBR" or short barrel weapon and that can take a year or more.

At any rate, with those two calibers at hand, you can effectively defend yourself/your family and feed them.

Must have 6 shoots

The best "shotgun" for self/home defense is an AR-15 pattern weapon, with one lower receiver and two different caliber "pistol" uppers. Right now a couple of extremely reliable small businesses are offering AR uppers in a host of calibers at extremely reasonable prices, and mostly in stock. As someone above mentioned ammo availability is variable to not at all, depending on who you know, so it's never been a better time to load and reload your own ammo.

I recommend purchasing one AR-15 pistol upper in .300 Blackout and one in .458 SOCOM, both with nothing shorter than 12.5" barrels (more on this later). .300 Blackout, while semi-expensive to run, is a caliber capable of fulfilling most any home defense need from high-velocity frangible rounds to 240+ grain subsonic loads that hit like a semi-truck up close and can be whisper quiet if suppressed. .458 SOCOM is a large diameter round capable of putting down a charging Kodiak Bear up close or penetrating construction material barriers, windshields and even car doors. Lighter, faster home defense loads exist, but where the .458 really shines is in its 500 grain+ monster bullet loads which will flatten anything that could threaten you, even if you lived during the Jurassic Period. .300 Blackout recoil is negligible, while .458 SOCOM kicks about the same as a 20 gauge slug.

Right, so once you've purchased these two uppers you'll be able to interchange them at will on the same lower receiver and very possibly use the same magazines (research it). One lower receiver, two easily switched out weapons systems. Make sure you don't go under 12.5" barrel lengths for the pistol uppers or you'll be short of the 26" overall weapon length the Feds use as a cutoff for NFA bullshit such as classifying AR weapons as SBR/pistols or AOW (any other weapons), which you don't want, if you plan to add a stock or foregrip attachments because then you'd have to worry about purchasing tax stamps for your "SBR" or short barrel weapon and that can take a year or more.

At any rate, with those two calibers at hand, you can effectively defend yourself/your family and feed them.

1atrumpthatwherewrong.jpg

Yeah, have you ever fired a rifle indoors? ARs are LOUD! They also have a concussive blast.
Not good! That can stun you just as much as who you missed shooting at, true story!
Better off with shotgun or pop-pop pistol. That's reality.
.45 acp
.38 Special
20 gauge (this is my preference)
9mm
10mm
.22 with a shit ton of bullets.
There's some suggestions. 20 gauge would clear a room.
I'm a bad man, missed .25 and .380 acp.

Last edited:

Must have 6 shoots

View attachment 367579

Yeah, have you ever fired a rifle indoors? ARs are LOUD! They also have a concussive blast.
Not good! That can stun you just as much as who you missed shooting at, true story!
.45 acp
9mm
10mm
.44 whatever..that's the limit for indoors.

Extensively—both inside kill houses and foreign and domestic residences. For the sake of standing tall on both calibers I recommended, subsonic and some supersonic loads for .300 Blackout and .458 SOCOM are slower AND thus quieter at the muzzle than 12ga. (1200-1500fps) and certainly quieter 20ga. (1800fps) slug and buckshot loads. I run both calibers (.300 and .458) suppressed for home defense and so audible discharge is much lower still. There's that, and then there's firing a weapon in actual self-defense or offense and never hearing a sound until after the sphincter factor has subsided. Nevertheless, to each their own, Duke.

Must have 6 shoots

View attachment 367579

.45 acp
9mm
10mm

Extensively—both inside kill houses and foreign and domestic residences. For the sake of standing tall on both calibers I recommended, subsonic and some supersonic loads for .300 Blackout and .458 SOCOM are slower AND thus quieter at the muzzle than 12ga. (1200-1500fps) and certainly quieter 20ga. (1800fps) slug and buckshot loads. I run both calibers (.300 and .458) suppressed for home defense and so audible discharge is much lower still. There's that, and then there's firing a weapon in actual self-defense or offense and never hearing a sound until after the sphincter factor has subsided. Nevertheless, to each their own, Duke.
Firing a .223 indoors (which is what an AR usually is) is not a good plan, is what I was saying. We're on the same page, but in different areas. There is a concussive blast, and that's a problem.
20 gauge slug/00 buckshot/#4 shot..not so much a problem.

Must have 6 shoots

View attachment 367579

.45 acp
9mm
10mm

Firing a .223 indoors (which is what an AR usually is) is not a good plan, is what I was saying. We're on the same page, but in different areas. There is a concussive blast, and that's a problem.
20 gauge slug/00 buckshot/#4 shot..not so much a problem.
Can the Con. Blast knock me out and I imagine it would be very very loud

Forum List

Back