🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bicyclist Childish Pagaentry

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Why do so many hard-core bicyclists (at least in my area) feel this bizarre need to wear such ridiculous costumes just to ride a bike? With those mushroom-shaped special little helmets for their special little heads, spandexes with shaved legs (even though scientifically, you'd have to bicycle the speed of a Boeing jet to notice any microscopic wind-resistance from leg hair), and color-coordinated in fluorescent hot-pink and sexually-disturbed pastel greens. Along with those curved, special bicycle shoes that look like they're trying to twist the person's foot into a severe, U-shaped parabola. Does anyone really think a machine gives a shit what its operator is wearing?? And as far as their silly fingerless gloves, they should go back to the store and demand the rest of their glove; they got cheated.

Every time I've ridden a bike, I wear the most generic, ordinary T-shirt (& hoodie if it's cold), jeans and DC sneakers you could possibly imagine.......yet I somehow survived it and enjoyed it. Imagine that! I got no complaints from the bicycle itself!

Last edited:
Why do so many hard-core bicyclists (at least in my area) feel this bizarre need to wear such ridiculous costumes just to ride a bike? With those mushroom-shaped special little helmets for their special little heads, spandexes with shaved legs (even though scientifically, you'd have to bicycle the speed of a Boeing jet to notice any microscopic wind-resistance from leg hair), and color-coordinated in fluorescent hot-pink and sexually-disturbed pastel greens. Along with those curved, special bicycle shoes that look like they're trying to twist the person's foot into a severe, U-shaped parabola. Does anyone really think a machine gives a shit what its operator is wearing?? And as far as their silly fingerless gloves, they should go back to the store and demand the rest of their glove; they got cheated.

Every time I've ridden a bike, I wear the most generic, ordinary T-shirt (& hoodie if it's cold), jeans and DC sneakers you could possibly imagine.......yet I somehow survived it and enjoyed it. Imagine that! I got no complaints from the bicycle itself!

Dunno. I used to ride 10 miles a day in my T-shirt and ruggers (football shorts) with a pair of fishing sneekers. OK: I wear a helmut that my son gave me for my Birthday a few years ago; (they're c ompulsory here and very handy during magpie swooping season..but the need for spandex and stuff; maybe it makes less of a thud when they get hit by irate motorists.

btw: I rarely ride on the road and usually stick to the bike paths and trails...nothing overly adventurous...and I don't do JUMPS!!!

Toowoomba Region

I follow the creeks: East and West, with the path through the Botanic Gardens and Bird Habitat; not too many hills but still a steady ride. I now usually go at night(7pm to 9pm) with a good quality light.

(PS: I got a flu a couple of months ago but am building back up to a daily ride.)

Greg

Last edited:
"when I became a man, I put away childish things."

article-0-1B244560000005DC-710_634x400.jpg

"when I became a man, I put away childish things."

article-0-1B244560000005DC-710_634x400.jpg

Now that I am entering my second childhood, I appreciate the childish things that I spurned when I was "older" but less wiser.

Greg

Dunno. I used to ride 10 miles a day in my T-shirt and ruggers (football shorts) with a pair of fishing sneekers. OK: I wear a helmut that my son gave me for my Birthday a few years ago; (they're c ompulsory here and very handy during magpie swooping season..but the need for spandex and stuff; maybe it makes less of a thud when they get hit by irate motorists.

btw: I rarely ride on the road and usually stick to the bike paths and trails...nothing overly adventurous...and I don't do JUMPS!!!

Toowoomba Region

I follow the creeks: East and West, with the path through the Botanic Gardens and Bird Habitat; not too many hills but still a steady ride. I now usually go at night(7pm to 9pm) with a good quality light.

(PS: I got a flu a couple of months ago but am building back up to a daily ride.)

Greg

Thank you, I do support wearing helmets in a risky activity, but my problem is that those bicycle helmets look so STUPID. And since they only cover the top of the head, they can never protect against spinal injuries anyway.

I'm guessing the D.C. Metro area?

I've seen too many close calls with the riders in the area.

Around here you have lot of back roads.

I like riding through the park or around BWI.

Last edited:

Toowoomba Region

Greg

Thank you, I do support wearing helmets in a risky activity, but my problem is that those bicycle helmets look so STUPID. And since they only cover the top of the head, they can never protect against spinal injuries anyway.

Helmets wearing is enforced here. Damn stupid LAW but sensible to wear them none the less. As I say to my beloved when I go riding and no doubt look ridiculous; I don't have a mirror. :badgrin:

Greg

Toowoomba Region

Greg

Helmets wearing is enforced here. Damn stupid LAW but sensible to wear them none the less. As I say to my beloved when I go riding and no doubt look ridiculous; I don't have a mirror. :badgrin:

Greg
I bet helmet manufacturers and the politicians who they bribe to pass it don't think it's a stupid law.

The helmets look weird, but cut wind resistance as well has protecting the head.

The spandex? Most riders was it snug to keep it from flapping and, again, to cut wind resistance. The colors are so people will see them and notice them. Talk to any cyclist and ask them about close calls with cars. Every one of them will have horror stories.

The fingerless gloves are common in several sports. They give padding to the palm, protection to the hand, and still allow fine motor skills from the fingertips.

Forum List

Back