Biden botches Thomas Jefferson quote and falsely claims Americans couldn’t own cannons during the Civil War in gun control speech

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
So where are those 'fact-checkers' we had around in 2016-2020 and their screeching headlines?

You know, trumpeting Trump's 30,000 or whatever phony number of lies they invented.

President Biden falsely claimed Tuesday that the Second Amendment prohibits the ownership of cannons and botched a famous quote from a founding father during a speech in support of gun control.
“There has never been a time that says you could own anything you want,” Biden said in remarks at the Gun Sense University conference in Washington, DC.
“Never. You couldn’t own a cannon during the Civil War,” the 81-year-old president claimed. “No, I’m serious. Think about it.”
Historically, the few examples of post-Civil War restrictions related to cannons largely dealt with limiting where they could be discharged, restricting the sale of the weapon to children and regulating how gunpowder could be stored.
In a May 2024 law review article in the Journal on Legislation, David Kopel and Joseph Greenlee found a “near-complete absence” of anti-cannon laws in the nineteenth century.
Kopel, a professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, told The Post that Biden’s claim is “patently false.”
Biden, on at least three previous occasions, has falsely claimed that the Second Amendment outlawed cannon ownership.
“This version is a little different from Biden’s previous lies,” Kopel said. “The earlier ones referred to when the Second Amendment was ratified. Now he’s moving the time frame to the Civil War. Still completely false.”
To this day, there are no federal laws preventing Americans from owning Civil War-era cannons, or any cannons manufactured prior to 1898.

So where are those 'fact-checkers' we had around in 2016-2020 and their screeching headlines?

You know, trumpeting Trump's 30,000 or whatever phony number of lies they invented.

President Biden falsely claimed Tuesday that the Second Amendment prohibits the ownership of cannons and botched a famous quote from a founding father during a speech in support of gun control.
“There has never been a time that says you could own anything you want,” Biden said in remarks at the Gun Sense University conference in Washington, DC.
“Never. You couldn’t own a cannon during the Civil War,” the 81-year-old president claimed. “No, I’m serious. Think about it.”
Historically, the few examples of post-Civil War restrictions related to cannons largely dealt with limiting where they could be discharged, restricting the sale of the weapon to children and regulating how gunpowder could be stored.
In a May 2024 law review article in the Journal on Legislation, David Kopel and Joseph Greenlee found a “near-complete absence” of anti-cannon laws in the nineteenth century.
Kopel, a professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, told The Post that Biden’s claim is “patently false.”
Biden, on at least three previous occasions, has falsely claimed that the Second Amendment outlawed cannon ownership.
“This version is a little different from Biden’s previous lies,” Kopel said. “The earlier ones referred to when the Second Amendment was ratified. Now he’s moving the time frame to the Civil War. Still completely false.”
To this day, there are no federal laws preventing Americans from owning Civil War-era cannons, or any cannons manufactured prior to 1898.

we can own cannons right now,,

I have one and my stepfather has two,,

Meh, I can order a fully functional 12-pound Napoleon right now if I wanted to.....About 15K with the carriage.

Cannonsmoke-20-Pdr-Parrott-and-12-Pdr-Napoleon-2.jpg

Met this dude at the gun show a few years back....Bought a .50 cal model.....

This again?

Americans couldn’t own cannons during the Civil War​

search: own cannons

Can't read English?

Brandon mangles almost every word he tries to speak.

In the Dumbocrap Party, this is known as “Presidential timber.”

Unless he tries to say it. In that case it’s known as “Oranromikskylzk— but anyway …”

Guy here in town owns one used at battle of Antietam.

You can buy modern cannon as well; you need a $200 tax stamp.

I still can't figure out who is dumber.

People who want more gun control or to ban guns, or the politicians that try and appeal to them.

If you want to get rid of gun crime then you get rid of the people who cause gun crime like criminals, dopeheads and crazy people. If you got rid of every gun in America right now all the people who want to go out and hurt others will still be here and nothing is solved. I'd rather live in a society of law abiding, decent, moral people with values and standards that own machine guns than live in a society with no guns and has criminals, crazies and druggies running around.

But holy hell Biden. Talking about people owning canons? What the hell does that have to do with gun control right now? Don't see many gang bangers or car jackers carrying canons around these days

I still can't figure out who is dumber.

People who want more gun control or to ban guns, or the politicians that try and appeal to them.

If you want to get rid of gun crime then you get rid of the people who cause gun crime like criminals, dopeheads and crazy people. If you got rid of every gun in America right now all the people who want to go out and hurt others will still be here and nothing is solved. I'd rather live in a society of law abiding, decent, moral people with values and standards that own machine guns than live in a society with no guns and has criminals, crazies and druggies running around.

But holy hell Biden. Talking about people owning canons? What the hell does that have to do with gun control right now? Don't see many gang bangers or car jackers carrying canons around these days

they have no credible platform to run on, so they need to keep their doped up deviant base busy spamming the websites with rubbish, is all.

Forum List

Back