Big Oil's Long-Running Climate Disinformation Campaign Detailed in Congressional Report

Like you and fracked natural gas as the reason for reduced US CO2 emissions.
It seems like only a few months ago you were still unaware.

I already posted my solution to AGW, more fracking and more nuclear.
Half right.

Gasoline where? In vehicles? I'd rather replace gasoline with EVs or hydrogen fuel cells

In vehicles. Where else could we use nat gas instead of gasoline?

I'd rather replace gasoline with EVs or hydrogen fuel cells

Well, if you want to build enough extra nuclear reactors to do that as well,
I won't argue with you.

I would, so good.
and then we'd pollute no less than we do via internal combustion Crick

332dh1.jpg

~S~

Ching a ling , are you listenin',
In the lane, snow is glistenin'
A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight.
Workin' in a winter wonderland.

Go and save all your pennies,
We'll come play with your genny's
They'll hum right along, as we sing along,

In the meadow we can build a windmill,
Then pretend that we're the green machine
They'll say it's all overkill man
But we'll take whatever we can glean

Later on, we'll conspire,
As we dream by the fire
To bill unafraid,
The OT that we've made,

When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
Cause our trades out a shillin'
We'll frolic and play, the 'Lectricians way,

~S~ happy monday!

Where do you get that idea? The cooling towers of a nuclear power plant emit 100% steam.
What pollutants do nuclear power plants produce?

Does Nuclear Energy Cause Air Pollution?

• Nitrogen oxide (NOx), which produces smog.
  • Sulfur dioxide (SO2), which produces acid rain.
  • Particulate matter, like smoke and dust.
  • Mercury, a harmful neurotoxin.
  • Carbon dioxide (CO2), a key contributor to climate change.
~S~

The Amazon might disappear by the end of the next century (ie, in 78 years) but it hasn't disappeared yet and it had hardly been touched at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution when CO2 started climbing. Simple bookkeeping can make (has made) a good estimate of how much fossil fuel has been burned since the Industrial Revolution began and its contribution to the atmosphere can be calculated. Those calculations show that virtually every molecule of CO2 above 280 ppm is of human origin. An isotopic analysis of the CO2 in the atmosphere which readily identifies CO2 produced from the combustion of fossil fuels produces figures in very close agreement. Deforestation in the Amazon and elsewhere will increase CO2 levels in the atmosphere and will slow their decline after our emissions have stopped, but the primary culprit at this point IS the combustion of fossil fuel for energy and transportation.

The Sahara was once lush and green and CO2 had nothing to do with its transformation to desert

What pollutants do nuclear power plants produce?

Does Nuclear Energy Cause Air Pollution?

• Carbon dioxide (CO2), a key contributor to climate change.
~S~

Nuclear doesn't emit any of those.

There is no such thing as a zero- or close-to-zero emission nuclear power plant. Even existing plants emit due to the continuous mining and refining of uranium needed for the plant. Emissions from new nuclear are 78 to 178 g-CO2/kWh, not close to 0. Of this, 64 to 102 g-CO2/kWh over 100 years are emissions from the background grid while consumers wait 10 to 19 years for nuclear to come online or be refurbished, relative to 2 to 5 years for wind or solar. In addition, all nuclear plants emit 4.4 g-CO2e/kWh from the water vapor and heat they release. This contrasts with solar panels and wind turbines, which reduce heat or water vapor fluxes to the air by about 2.2 g-CO2e/kWh for a net difference from this factor alone of 6.6 g-CO2e/kWh.

~S~

There is no such thing as a zero- or close-to-zero emission nuclear power plant. Even existing plants emit due to the continuous mining and refining of uranium needed for the plant. Emissions from new nuclear are 78 to 178 g-CO2/kWh, not close to 0. Of this, 64 to 102 g-CO2/kWh over 100 years are emissions from the background grid while consumers wait 10 to 19 years for nuclear to come online or be refurbished, relative to 2 to 5 years for wind or solar. In addition, all nuclear plants emit 4.4 g-CO2e/kWh from the water vapor and heat they release. This contrasts with solar panels and wind turbines, which reduce heat or water vapor fluxes to the air by about 2.2 g-CO2e/kWh for a net difference from this factor alone of 6.6 g-CO2e/kWh.

~S~

Thanks for admitting your earlier error.

go tell it to google Todd

~S~

Your link that said nuclear plants don't emit
was enough for me.

Thanks for the oneearth.org comedy site.
Funniest thing I've seen all year.

Forum List

Back