Zone1 Black Self-Sufficiency & Independence: From Greenwood to Mose

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
Happy Juneteenth to everyone who recognizes & celebrates this day!

My mom sent me this link earlier today and I thought I'd share it here since I have never heard of the very first community list - Mose, the first free Black town, established in 1738 in what is now the state of Florida and predating the founding of the United States of America.

Break white supremacy.

The 'we" is everyone against fascism and pro-freedom, pro-American values.

Where does that put you?
On the other side who must be stopped.

Break white supremacy.

The 'we" is everyone against fascism and pro-freedom, pro-American values.

Where does that put you?
It's a waste of time to worry about a small minority of Racists who have no power over you. For instance I never worry about you or IM2.

It’s a pretty lazy OP. A video that is less than a minute which is rife with “we wuz Kangz” BS.

So, I’m sorry to whitesplain it to you but “Black self sufficiency and independence” is not exemplified by Mose. Fort Mose was established by the Spanish, not by black people. The black people who lived there were granted asylum by the Spanish authority, in exchange for converting to Catholicism and conscription into the Spanish militia. Eventually, this “self sufficient” refugee camp of freemen was utilized as a first line of defense against the British.

“Background

As early as 1689, the colonial authorities of Spanish Florida had begun to offer asylum to escaped slaves fleeing from the Virginia Colony. One particular place of interest was St. Augustine, where the Spanish had established Mission Nombre de Dios with the help of Afro-Spanish slaves and settlers in the late 16th century.

In 1693, King Charles II of Spain issued a royal decree proclaiming that runaways would be granted asylum in Florida in return for converting to Catholicism, which required baptism with Christian names, and serving for four years in the colonial militia. By 1742 the community had grown into a maroon settlement similar to those in other European colonies in the Americas, and the Spanish utilized the settlement as the first line of defence against outside incursions into Florida.[10]

Fort Mose

In 1738, Governor Montiano ordered construction of the Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose military fort, about 2 miles (3.2 km) north of St. Augustine. Any fugitive slaves discovered by the Spanish were directed to head there. If they accepted Catholicism and were baptized with Christian names, and those capable served in the colonial militia, the Spanish treated them as free.”

Fort Mose - Wikipedia

You Kangz will never be self sufficient or independent until you take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming white people for your failings.

Forum List

Back