🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Blood Test Can Predict Alzheimer's

I DID say okay.

I noticed. Don't believe I said anything to negate that, or?

It looked like a response to me. Was it not?

[MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] - no. It was just general exhuberance. Such breakthroughs are just awesome. We, the general public, tend to think that this stuff is easy. It's not. It's hard. It's real hard. We may never know how many possibly MILLIONS of man-hours of work, spread out among thousands of people, were necessary to get to this point.

On my list, this goes up with the Polio Vaccine and the first major steps in combatting HIV. Often, within the successful pre-detection of a disease lies the "code" for the cure as well.

I find this to be really, really exciting news.

holy shit, this is not a breakthrough.

diagnosing a disease or condition is of no value if you cannot provide the means to at LEAST alleviate it, let alone cure it.

that's the entire point: within the method of detection, when it is successful, is often the key to cure. It takes a while, but the first step in finding a cure if more often than not finding the most accurate method of detection.

CNN is reporting:

In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers have developed a blood test for Alzheimer's disease that predicts with astonishing accuracy whether a healthy person will develop the disease. Though much work still needs to be done, it is hoped the test will someday be available in doctors' offices, since the only methods for predicting Alzheimer's right now, such as PET scans and spinal taps, are expensive, impractical, often unreliable and sometimes risky. "This is a potential game-changer," said Dr. Howard Federoff, senior author of the report and a neurologist at Georgetown University Medical Center. "My level of enthusiasm is very high." The study was published in Nature Medicine.

This is awesome news.

I like how the evening news was trying to sell this story as a possible "cure" for the disease.

Bullshit. It's just another "test" to make the inventors rich.

Somebody tell me when there is an actual cure in the hopper and I'll give a rat's ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the first steps in developing a cure is first in developing detection to begin with.

This really may be THE medical news of 2014, when all is said and done.

Thank you for posting this - big ... very big!

Even right now, there are things you can do to help prevent it.[/QUOTE

o do tell....my mother is a non smoker...non drinker....rarely ate animal proteins.....walked daily 4 to 5 miles....etc and so forth and guess what....she has it...or some form of dementia..

CNN is reporting:

In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers have developed a blood test for Alzheimer's disease that predicts with astonishing accuracy whether a healthy person will develop the disease. Though much work still needs to be done, it is hoped the test will someday be available in doctors' offices, since the only methods for predicting Alzheimer's right now, such as PET scans and spinal taps, are expensive, impractical, often unreliable and sometimes risky. "This is a potential game-changer," said Dr. Howard Federoff, senior author of the report and a neurologist at Georgetown University Medical Center. "My level of enthusiasm is very high." The study was published in Nature Medicine.

This is awesome news.

I like how the evening news was trying to sell this story as a possible "cure" for the disease.

Somebody tell me when there is an actual cure in the hopper and I'll give a rat's ass.

There is not even one word in the OP about a cure. Not even one word. Did you even read the OP? Care to try again?

Last edited by a moderator:

There is not even one word in the OP about a cure. Not even one word. Did you even read the OP? Care to try again?

I never said the OP called it a cure you dolt. If you had a better grasp of the English language and any attention to the most basic details of what you read and write about you would have seen I laid blame on the evening news.

Forum List

Back