BLS: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined

hmmm I didn't think it was that bad, but yea, the gov's been nickle and dimeing folks pretty bad.

Most people are unaware of how heavily they're taxed. They get a federal refund of withholding and feel like they're paying nothing.

I offer that the tax on many low income people exceeds 50%. There's a 15.3% tax on every dollar you earn, but only half of it is shown on your pay stubs. Inflation (which is caused by the government printing money) is a tax on money we hold. Then there's sales tax, state and federal income taxes, and misc. other taxes. Think about it if you have a very low income and have to pay $1000 in property taxes for your modest home.

^ Interesting chart there Freewill thanks for sharing.

My state (Alaska) is one of the lowest for state income and sales taxes but we pay some of the highest property taxes. My [minor] complaint with that chart is it doesn't really idk sort it out... like we Alaskan's pay premium for service based state/local employees (police, teachers, etc.) and we also pay a lot for road maintenance and stuff (I don't even want to count how many folks we have on call for snow removal and sanding in the winter, and we pay them big bucks to stand around with signs on practically every street in the big city during construction season, we also pay them to clean up trash in the tourist districts, etc. We Alaskan's have voted for all those property tax increases willingly... I guess I'm saying that chart doesn't really address bang for the buck and individual willingness to contribute... Maybe it's not the case right now due to the decline in oil prices, but historically our property taxes were not exactly "needed" but we kind of shot ourselves in the foot by being generous - which is why we have a slight budget issue atm I mean we're dipping into our savings to pay these folks now.

My state (Alaska) is one of the lowest for state income and sales taxes but we pay some of the highest property taxes. My [minor] complaint with that chart is it doesn't really idk sort it out... like we Alaskan's pay premium for service based state/local employees (police, teachers, etc.) and we also pay a lot for road maintenance and stuff (I don't even want to count how many folks we have on call for snow removal and sanding in the winter, and we pay them big bucks to stand around with signs on practically every street in the big city during construction season, we also pay them to clean up trash in the tourist districts, etc. We Alaskan's have voted for all those property tax increases willingly... I guess I'm saying that chart doesn't really address bang for the buck and individual willingness to contribute... Maybe it's not the case right now due to the decline in oil prices, but historically our property taxes were not exactly "needed" but we kind of shot ourselves in the foot by being generous - which is why we have a slight budget issue atm I mean we're dipping into our savings to pay these folks now.
Here I thought all the road in Alaska were made of ice, I saw it on the tube.

heh while we do have a massive ice highway as you've seen on TV, us folks in south central prefer pavement (and sand so we know where the road under the snow is) :p

This is sick, and the worse thing is that the government still runs in the red. They are receiving record income yet they keep having to raise the debt ceiling. Thank you BINO Obama for driving us into debt that our children will never be able to repay.

BLS: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined

CNSNews.com) - Americans on average spent more on taxes in 2016 than they did on food and clothing combined, according to data released this week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The same data also shows that in three years—from 2013 to 2016—the average tax bill for Americans increased 41.13 percent.

Why is that surprising?

Our food and clothing costs are not that high

heh while we do have a massive ice highway as you've seen on TV, us folks in south central prefer pavement (and sand so we know where the road under the snow is) :p
Frozen mud isn't pavement. :D

Frozen mud isn't pavement. :D

We use asphalt! ... a lot of places... Up north we like to leave them "natural" for the tourists.

Forum List

Back