BMW is now selling a monthly subscription service for heated seats in your car

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
And it will quickly evolve into every little feature.
Is it against the law to burn down a car factory? Asking for a friend.

BMW is now selling heated seats — and some other basic features — as a monthly subscription in certain countries. Owners who don't pay up won't get access, even if their car came with all the necessary hardware from the factory. The move comes as car companies push to make more money from the software in their vehicles.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bmw-subscription-features-heated-seats-steering-5-series-2022-7#:~:text=BMW%20is%20now%20selling%20heated%20seats%20—%20and,more%20money%20from%20the%20software%20in%20their%20vehicles.

4199465.jpg

It used to be where corporations were servants to the customer, they had to work to earn their money. Now it's the opposite, we are their servants.

Subscription models are nickel and diming us to death. It's only going to get worse, especially if this pays off for bmw.

Apple is already working on a program where you rent your iPhone instead of owning it.

Sounds like an opportunity for a disgruntled BMW employee to start a black market hacker business to get into features of your own fucking car.

Spend that kind of money on an overpriced car, you better give me some goddamn heated seats.

Jeep tried selling me updates on my Grand Cherokee's software to a total of 300 bucks for four software upgrades.
I told them to piss off since the vehicle had no issue with the software installed and that ALL upgrades should come with the expensive vehicle for life.
Ridiculous.

They'll likely be putting them in every new car, and to activate them, you must sign up. Just as every new TV comes with apps and services, but you have to sign up in order to use them.

Well, I'll never buy a BMW again.

I don't support rent seeking by corporations.

I ran across this article while perusing technocracy.news.

"A friend contacted me today and informed me that the luxury carmaker BMW has announced plans to charge car owners $18 a month for heated seats. . . "

<snip>

". . . Now it is happening with vehicles, and not only with luxury add-ons such as heated seats. You buy it, they own the software to block certain features. You have to pay them to unlock those features. Or, at the very least, they require you to “register” the product to unlock certain features.” You may not need to pay them but by registering you still hand over your personal data for free, which they use to bolster profits.

And it’s about to get worse: By 2026 the federal government has mandated that all vehicle manufacturers include a remote “kill switch” in every vehicle that leaves their factories.

Now we’re talking about not just a seat that won’t heat, but a car that potentially won’t run. Then you really won’t own that car at all, because as soon as your social credit score dips below a certain level the government can just flip the kill switch and your car has been rendered inoperable. . .. "

". .. . .To many, that might sound like a wonderful idea. After all, we’ve seen wanted criminals who have fled from police only to crash into a car with a family inside, killing innocents as they try to avoid capture. Being able to stop the pursuit early and almost instantaneously seems like a wonderful thing, a potential lifesaver any law-abiding citizen would enthusiastically embrace.

According to an article written by former U.S. Representative Bob Barr, hidden away in the recently passed infrastructure bill, the very one I warned before would negatively impact drivers across the country if it were to pass, is a measure to install vehicle kill switches into every new car, truck, and SUV sold in this country. The regulation likely won’t be enforced for five years, so maybe there’s time to do something about this.

As we’ve seen both in this country and others recently, what constitutes “law-abiding” can change drastically overnight. For example, in September a car was pulled over in New Zealand and the occupants arrested when police discovered the trunk was full of Kentucky Fried Chicken meals. They were smuggling the fast food to customers in locked-down Auckland, against quarantine measures. Yet not too long before, delivering restaurant orders to people was considered a reputable, legal activity. . . . "

And this is just a taste of their plans.
Yeah, it isn't about the seats, that is just the tip of the iceberg. They have passed a law, requiring kill switches in all new cars by 2026, for. . . um, imparied drivers?

So when they government starts these climate lock-downs, and turns the world into imprisoned criminals, you won't have a choice but to obey. That tech is already in all new cars, manufactured after 2026, to kill them, to stop you from starting them up.

Forum List

Back