Borderline Diabetic

Which means..I can do something about it before actually getting full blown diabetes.

I hate studying new stuff...so I thought I would ask here, a few questions. I googled, of course. Main thing they say to do is lose weight. I already have, but I guess I need to lose some more. So, that's a given. Next thing I want to know is...who here is diabetic or has been diagnosed as borderline diabetic and what do you eat when you want something sweet??? Is splenda as bad as sugar? I like sweet tea and sweet coffee. At night, I nibble on a tootsie roll pop. Which is sugar. I have brownies in the cupboard I have not made yet...guess I better NOT make them? In short...cut out the fat from foods, and sugar as well? Do I just gnaw on an apple or some kind of fresh fruit and go cold turkey on SWEET stuff? Oy. That's gonna be hard to do.

So...can y'all give me some pointers on putting a whoa on the borderline thing?
I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes. From now on, your meals will be like algebra. You need to have a balanced diet. Which means "portion control" and the type of food you eat at a certain time of day. Basically, as simple as I could put it, think of your plate as a pie. Half of that pie, is vegetables. However, those veggies should be a mixture of light and dark veggies. Like broccoli and cauliflower. 1/4 of that pie, is fruits and grains. The other 1/4 is protein. Like fish. Or some other white meat. Say goodbye to the red.

You have to eat the right type of food, in the right amount, at the right time of day. The goal is to control your bodies' production of sugar. Or, in the diabetes world, glucose.

Get a glucose meter, a film can of test strips and this little tool that has a needle in it and you pull back one end, hold the other against your finger and let it "pop" by letting go. Then take the meter with the test strip inserted and press it against the little blood bubble on your finger. In a few seconds, that will give you a numerical value which you check against the following chart.

You will live with this for the rest of your life.

Say goodbye to sodas. No Mountain Dews. But you can have a beer. Only one per day.

And if you don't do this and it progresses, just know that diabetes is the No.2 cause of amputations in the country.

I just went over my glucose levels with a friend of mine that is a nurse. According to her, I am nowhere near "borderline" diabetes. My blood test shows 100 for glucose..the graph thingy says its supposed to be anywhere between 70 and 105.
So now I am confused.

you need to test fasting .....before you eat in the am......as for all this advice ....the best advice is to eat to your meter....there is no list of foods etc....each food is different for each person......i eat something then test in 45 minutes which is my peak time after eating.....best to just wait for 2 hours....splenda sucks it makes my stomach crazy

gracie your body cannot do the two meals a day......you need to eat breakfast.....and then have small meals...now this has changed now they say...eat breakfast like a king.....lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper ......i still do the small meals....that way i am either eating or thinking about it....get use to being hungry....just get use to it...and drink water...water is more important than you can imagine.....they show an example at meetings.....you may want to go to those....they have hydrated blood vs dehydrated blood....dehydrated blood looks like mudd in the vile.....you just dont want that....you are suppose to drink at least 64 ozs....try to drink more....your piss should be clear....apparently diabetics cannot over hydrate ...and keep in mind ...the worse thing or hardest thing on diabetics...stress

if you are physically ill or stressed your bg will sky rocket

you need to test fasting .....before you eat in the am......as for all this advice ....the best advice is to eat to your meter....there is no list of foods etc....each food is different for each person......i eat something then test in 45 minutes which is my peak time after eating.....best to just wait for 2 hours....splenda sucks it makes my stomach crazy
Most of that is so, but yes a list of foods does exist to stay away from.

The "many small meals throughout the day" thing is what weight lifters do to bulk up, so just stay with three meals a day.

I have diverticula, and my gastro doc recommended me eating small meals throughout the day. I forget, though. I snack on stuff though. Since I don't eat lunch, apples and maybe gnawing on carrots would be better than the pretzels.

I used to eat HUGE breakfasts...but I got up to 200 lbs doing that, so no more.

I will re schedule my eating plans. Thanks for the info!

I have diverticula, and my gastro doc recommended me eating small meals throughout the day. I forget, though. I snack on stuff though. Since I don't eat lunch, apples and maybe gnawing on carrots would be better than the pretzels.

No skins on those fruits & veggies!

I never eat skins of apples and pears and whatnot. Too hard to digest although all the good stuff is in those skins. :(

I never eat skins of apples and pears and whatnot. Too hard to digest although all the good stuff is in those skins. :(

Ya, there's lots of vitamins & fiber lost, but in your case, it's good you don't eat them anyways... they can get caught in there. I had a friend that had to have surgery- 18" of his intestine was removed.

So far, all is well in that department. But him saying I was borderline diabetic...well...I was like wtf? Then when I read the glucose number when my friend asked me to go over the blood test results with her...she said I was close to being borderline, but not enough to sweat it. Which is why I got all confused. Still...I'd like to lower those numbers, so I'm being careful what I eat that is sweet and sugary. I see doc again next month on dec 21st...I will ask for another test and see if I got it lower than 100 by changing up my diet some more.

So far, all is well in that department. But him saying I was borderline diabetic...well...I was like wtf? Then when I read the glucose number when my friend asked me to go over the blood test results with her...she said I was close to being borderline, but not enough to sweat it. Which is why I got all confused. Still...I'd like to lower those numbers, so I'm being careful what I eat that is sweet and sugary. I see doc again next month on dec 21st...I will ask for another test and see if I got it lower than 100 by changing up my diet some more.

Make sure you fast that day.

Which means..I can do something about it before actually getting full blown diabetes.

I hate studying new stuff...so I thought I would ask here, a few questions. I googled, of course. Main thing they say to do is lose weight. I already have, but I guess I need to lose some more. So, that's a given. Next thing I want to know is...who here is diabetic or has been diagnosed as borderline diabetic and what do you eat when you want something sweet??? Is splenda as bad as sugar? I like sweet tea and sweet coffee. At night, I nibble on a tootsie roll pop. Which is sugar. I have brownies in the cupboard I have not made yet...guess I better NOT make them? In short...cut out the fat from foods, and sugar as well? Do I just gnaw on an apple or some kind of fresh fruit and go cold turkey on SWEET stuff? Oy. That's gonna be hard to do.

So...can y'all give me some pointers on putting a whoa on the borderline thing?
Do not consume artificial sweeteners. Ever. Not even one can of diet soda per decade.

If you keep consuming them you are sure to get diabetes.

No more Truvia for me. I got a bad case of the runs today. Bad case. And the only thing different is me switching to truvia.
Back to sugar I go. Just less of it.

No more Truvia for me. I got a bad case of the runs today. Bad case. And the only thing different is me switching to truvia.

Since it's plant based- then that very well could be a side effect. Just stay away from sweet n low & aspertame

Since it's plant based- then that very well could be a side effect. Just stay away from sweet n low & aspertame
Truvia is alcohol and yeast with a dash of plant base.

This posting is worrying on many levels. Firstly, people seem to think that Truvia is made of Stevia + Erythritol, which is only true if you stretch the truth a bit! Because Stevia is an extract of half a dozen natural steviosides (glycosides), and Truvia is chemically pure Rebaudioside A, derived from genetically modified plants.
Not to mention the side effects of Erythritol, which is a "sugar alcohol" made by fermenting glucose with a yeast.
I hope her alleged Truvia side effects are merely imaginary, because side effects that linger for four days are not good..

Truvia Side Effects: The dangers of Truvia (adverse effects)

Forum List

Back