Boston Mayor Walsh Signs 42 Percent Increase In Linkage Fees Into Law

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Fee increase will leverage development market to support affordable housing and workforce development in Boston
BOSTON - Mayor Martin J. Walsh today signed a 42 percent increase in Boston's Linkage fees into law. The Linkage Program requires large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston to pay into funds that support the creation of affordable housing and workforce development. The increase will raise the current fees to $15.39 per square foot, of which $13.00 will be dedicated to affordable housing and $2.39 will be dedicated to workforce training. The increase was proposed by Mayor Walsh in February and follows unanimous approval by the Boston Planning & Development Agency Board and Boston Zoning Commission.

I am not sure that I am fully understanding how this works. Is this a one time fee or a fee that is paid yearly?

Fee increase will leverage development market to support affordable housing and workforce development in Boston
BOSTON - Mayor Martin J. Walsh today signed a 42 percent increase in Boston's Linkage fees into law. The Linkage Program requires large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston to pay into funds that support the creation of affordable housing and workforce development. The increase will raise the current fees to $15.39 per square foot, of which $13.00 will be dedicated to affordable housing and $2.39 will be dedicated to workforce training. The increase was proposed by Mayor Walsh in February and follows unanimous approval by the Boston Planning & Development Agency Board and Boston Zoning Commission.

I am not sure that I am fully understanding how this works. Is this a one time fee or a fee that is paid yearly?

I dunno but when I saw the word "linkage" all I could think of was that old Pontiac I had in high school where the shifter would get stuck in reverse and I'd have to crawl under the car and free up the levers.

I guess it was noticed, because one of my classmates signed my yearbook, "Best of luck with car and linkage".

Here is the answer:
The Linkage Program requires large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston to pay into funds that support the creation of affordable housing and workforce development.

Nobody probably knows and ever will fully. Just another heist.

I wonder if huge sheets of concrete are still squishing cars in that gret Big Dgger project.

Here is the answer:
The Linkage Program requires large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston to pay into funds that support the creation of affordable housing and workforce development.

But, again. Is this a one time fee or is it a yearly fee?

Nobody probably knows and ever will fully. Just another heist.

I wonder if huge sheets of concrete are still squishing cars in that gret Big Dgger project.
Yeah, that Big Dig was a scam.

Here is the answer:

It is a fee EACH time a "large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston" is approved for construction.

Ok. So, if it's a one time fee then it isn't a reliable source of funding.

This is a means to ensure large-scale development is minimized and whst does get through is punished severely for being rich enough to do so.

Penalties like this are the type of thing that destroy large scale development in large cities. Tax credits to make a portion of thst space into affordable housing would be a far more useful incentive.

Here is the answer:

I don't know but suspect it is like Oddball said, referring to big time Massachusetts Democrats involved. That said, I suspect they would try to set it up as the gift that keeps on giving.

It is a fee for Each time a "large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston" is built, thus a one time fee for a specific building size over 100,000 sqft that was built.

$13.59 per square foot adds up a sizeable investment for the small programs that would need the $$$.

There's goes what's left of Boston into the garbage can.

It is a fee for Each time a "large scale commercial developments over 100,000 square feet in Boston" is built, thus a one time fee for a specific building size over 100,000 sqft that was built.

$13.59 per square foot adds up a sizeable investment for the small programs that would need the $$$.
Thank you.

It's sizable but not a reliable source of funding for the types of programs that it is to fund. The programs themselves will always need funding-unfortunately.

Here is the answer:

I don't know but suspect it is like Oddball said, referring to big time Massachusetts Democrats involved. That said, I suspect they would try to set it up as the gift that keeps on giving.

Maybe they are at a point where they realize that anything will help. On the other hand the push for the law was in 2019 and I don't think they even had a clue as to how 2020 was going to play out.

Forum List

Back