Brazil Judge Rules NJ Dad Can Get Custody of His Son

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil's chief justice on Tuesday ruled in favor of a U.S. man who has pursued a five-year court battle to gain custody of his son.

According to the court's Web site, Chief Justice Gilmar Mendes ruled David Goldman's 9-year-old son must be delivered to him by the boy's Brazilian relatives, as a federal court ordered last week.

The ruling put Goldman one step closer to finally being reunited with his son, Sean. The boy was taken by Goldman's now-deceased ex-wife to her native Brazil in 2004, where he has remained. Goldman has been fighting to get him back from the boy's stepfather.

Brazil Judge Rules New Jersey Dad Can Get Custody of His Son - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

1_61_goldman_david.jpg

A happy ending finally?

RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil's chief justice on Tuesday ruled in favor of a U.S. man who has pursued a five-year court battle to gain custody of his son.

According to the court's Web site, Chief Justice Gilmar Mendes ruled David Goldman's 9-year-old son must be delivered to him by the boy's Brazilian relatives, as a federal court ordered last week.

The ruling put Goldman one step closer to finally being reunited with his son, Sean. The boy was taken by Goldman's now-deceased ex-wife to her native Brazil in 2004, where he has remained. Goldman has been fighting to get him back from the boy's stepfather.

Brazil Judge Rules New Jersey Dad Can Get Custody of His Son - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

1_61_goldman_david.jpg

A happy ending finally?

NO there is still time for another Judge to rule otherwise. As has happened in the past.

Chief justice Mendes is the supreme authority of the Brazilian judiciary system. He can and will overturn any contrary decision.

Happy Christmas story or not the game is over for the "child abductors".

I feel sorry for the brazilian family. Granny sees the boy as part of the daughter she lost. But Sean, just like Elian Gonzalez, belong with their biological parents.

Out of spite, the Brazilian family will probably hold him till after the holidays. They know they have no legal standing and will ultimately lose. What is cruel is that they play each card to string this thing out.

Goldman sent his son a Christmas letter and the familiy marked it "return to sender"

In a show of class, David Goldman has indicated he would not do to them what they have done to him and will allow visitation

Out of spite, the Brazilian family will probably hold him till after the holidays. They know they have no legal standing and will ultimately lose. What is cruel is that they play each card to string this thing out.

Goldman sent his son a Christmas letter and the familiy marked it "return to sender"

In a show of class, David Goldman has indicated he would not do to them what they have done to him and will allow visitation

If he allows visitation, I would hope his attorneys tell him to never, ever let these vile people take the boy out of the country.

So right. Goldman is a class act unlike the Brazilians. Hope it all works out for he and his son.

Brazilian Family Concedes Defeat: Sean Goldman Home by Christmas?

The long-running battle for custody of 9-year old Sean Goldman neared its conclusion Wednesday when lawyers for the boy's Brazilian stepfamily said they were giving up the fight and handing him back to his American dad.

"There comes a time when you have to say the war is over," Sergio Tostes, lawyer for Sean's stepfather Joao Paulo Lins e Silva, told TIME. "We could appeal but that would only prolong the suffering. We don't want to prolong this any more."

The president of Brazil's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday night that Sean must be returned to his American father immediately.

Brazilian Family Concedes Defeat: Sean Goldman Home by Christmas? - TIME

If he allows visitation, I would hope his attorneys tell him to never, ever let these vile people take the boy out of the country.

If he allows visitation, I would hope that he insist that it is SUPERVISED visitation ONLY.

No way would I want to take a chance of these people running off with the boy again.

I do feel sorry for Granny. She's lost her daughter, and now her daughter's son. But the child belongs with his father--unless Dad can be proven unfit (and it is quite obvious that he is a very fit parent).

Hopefully Dad gets the best Christmas ever this year~~

Hopefully, he will regain custody on Christmas Eve

It seems to be a good family in New Jersey, with time, the kid should do alright

I feel sorry for the boy, from my own personal experience I was much happier when we lived in Rio and rue the day we moved back to the USA.

I feel sorry for the boy, from my own personal experience I was much happier when we lived in Rio and rue the day we moved back to the USA.

We are with you Frank....we rue the day you moved back to the USA too

Court orders Brazilian family to relinquish boy - USATODAY.com

Silvana Bianchi, Sean's maternal grandmother, wrote an open letter to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva just hours before the Tuesday ruling, in which she said cultural differences and international pressure were driving the case.

"Our moral foundation values the mother's role. In the absence of the mother, the raising should be done by the grandmother," she wrote. "That's how it's done in Brazil, from north to south, regardless of race, religion or social class. It's natural that foreigners, with a different foundation, would not understand these authentically Brazilian feelings."

Originally posted by CrusaderFrank

I feel your pain, Frank...

But let's be reasonable here, buddy.

PARENTAL RIGHTS trump nice beaches full of beautiful women with their asses hanging around ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A father and son played with toys and puzzles and rested on a quiet nine-hour flight from Brazil to Florida, a peaceful conclusion Thursday after a tumultuous reunion that brought a five-year custody battle spanning two continents to an end.

David Goldman and 9-year-old Sean Goldman landed in Orlando on a jet chartered by NBC. Later they were driven away in a caravan of three SUVs, heading to an unknown destination. They did not speak with reporters at the airport, but NBC broadcast an interview with the father and footage from the flight.

"My little boy is 5 feet away, sound asleep, peaceful," Goldman, of Tinton Falls, N.J., told the network. "We're on our way. My heart is just melting. I love him."

Father, Son Arrive in Florida From Brazil After 5-Year Custody Battle - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah David and Sean.

Forum List

Back