Breaking: Justice Scalia has died

He had a long life,I do fell bad for his family but he was a throwback to an earlier time in last century's and Medieval thinking

In a 2013 interview with Jennifer Senior for New York magazine, Scalia was asked if his beliefs extended to the Devil, Scalia stated, "Of course! Yeah, he's a real person. Hey, c'mon, that's standard Catholic doctrine! Every Catholic believes that". When asked if he had seen recent evidence of the Devil, Scalia replied, "You know, it is curious. In the Gospels, the Devil is doing all sorts of things. He's making pigs run off cliffs, he's possessing people and whatnot :eusa_whistle:

You went from this :
to this :
What, it's OK for you to cheer death, but not 'left loons'?

Their not dead, dumbass...but I can dream

Ah, so dreaming for someone's death is acceptable but cheering it once it happens, that's taboo?

Need a tissue?

obama can choose next .......?
is it true?

He nominates and then Congress has to confirm the person he nominated.

obama can choose liberal or not ?
based on your experience?

I had better leave this thread before I lose my temper. Absolutely depressing to see adults cheering for the death of people who don't agree with them politically. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. How utterly classless.

Word. I am out. Fucking ghouls. Back to playing cards with friends.

Obama is relishing in Scalia's death. He can't wait to appoint someone for the purposes of putting our 1st and 2nd amendments in peril.

Ah, so dreaming for someone's death is acceptable but cheering it once it happens, that's taboo?

Need a tissue?

is it true?

He will choose a liberal, it remains to be seen if he can get them confirmed.

You went from this :
Left loons cheer death...easy to see their priorities, eh? The man isn't even cold yet

to this :
How about a trifecta, Obama, Hillary and Sanders? The nation would sigh with relief and I could realize my dream of pissing on Obama's grave

What, it's OK for you to cheer death, but not 'left loons'?

Depends on how much hatred towards others they generated when alive.

Here's a look at the life of Antonin Scalia, associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Personal:
Birth date:
March 11, 1936

Birth place: Trenton, New Jersey

Birth name: Antonin Gregory Scalia

Father: Salvatore Eugene Scalia, professor at Brooklyn College

Mother: Catherine Louise (Panaro) Scalia, public school teacher

Marriage: Maureen McCarthy (September 10, 1960-present)

Children: Ann Forrest; Eugene; John Francis; Catherine Elisabeth; Mary Clare; Paul David; Matthew; Christopher James; Margaret Jane

Education: Attended University of Fribourg, Switzerland, joint degree with Georgetown University, 1955-1956; Georgetown University, A.B., Valedictorian, summa cum laude, 1957; Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1960; Harvard University, Sheldon Fellowship, 1960-1961

Religion: Roman Catholic

Other Facts:
First Italian-American justice to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Considered a conservative.

Oversees the Fifth Circuit.

Votes consistently in favor of free speech.

Nicknamed 'Nino.'

Strong opponent of abortion and affirmative action and is a strong advocate of federalism and separation of powers.

With the retirement of Justice John Paul Stevens, he became the longest-serving justice on the court.

Timeline:
1961-1967
- Associate at Jones, Day, Cockley & Reavis in Cleveland, Ohio.

1962 - Is admitted to the Ohio Bar.

1970 - Is admitted to the Virginia Bar.

1967-1974 - Professor at University of Virginia School of Law.

1971-1972 - General Counsel, Office of Telecommunications Policy, Executive Office of President.

1972-1974 - Chairman, Administrative Conference of the United States, Washington.

1974-1977 - Assistant U.S. Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel.

1977 - Visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute; visiting professor at Georgetown Law Center.

1977-1982 - Law professor at the University of Chicago.

1980-1981 - Visiting professor at Stanford Law School.

August 17, 1982 - Scalia is sworn in as a member of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit - nominated by President Ronald Reagan.

September 26, 1986 - Is sworn in as Supreme Court associate justice, filling the seat left by William Rehnquist when he became Chief Justice.

January 2004 - Scalia takes a duck hunting trip in Louisiana with Vice President Cheney, three weeks after the Supreme Court agrees to hear the case of Cheney v. U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

April 7, 2004 - Tapes of a speech Scalia gave at a Mississippi high school, recorded by two journalists, are erased at the request of a United States deputy marshal, triggering outrage from journalism groups.

March 18, 2004 - Scalia issues a 21-page memo in which he explains his reasons for not recusing himself from the Cheney case.

March 27, 2006 - The Boston Herald reports that Scalia made "an obscene gesture, flicking his hand under his chin" in response to a question about whether lawyers might question his impartiality in matters of church and state. Scalia later writes a letter to the editor that the gesture was not obscene at all, but an attempt at being dismissive.

October 21, 2006 - States in a speech at the National Italian American Foundation that issues like abortion and suicide rights have nothing to do with the Constitution, and unelected judges too often choose to find new rights at the expense of the democratic process.

October 3, 2011 - The Supreme Court kicks off its new term with a brief salute to Justice Scalia who is marking his 25th year on the high court.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Need a tissue?

is it true?

based on your experience
obama can or ??

Need a tissue?

is it true?

based on your experience
obama can or ??

Depends how much spine the GOP has, given recent history I'm concerned

They can block it using the Dem's rules against them..................It will impact the Presidential election.

Well....the longest period from nomination to confirmation in the last 50 years is 107 days.....

From March 1st to December 31st 2016 is 305 days.

Think the Republicans can hold out that long? hahaha

is it true?

based on your experience
obama can or ??

Depends how much spine the GOP has, given recent history I'm concerned
obama need 50+% vote or 33% like iran deal?

OMG, what a terrible, terrible loss!!

"He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served."
-- Chief Justice John Roberts

I listened to some of his talks before - such a resourceful, humorous and admirable man!!

Obama will do what they always do, toss out a couple nominees that are WAY left radical, then put forth one that is more moderate, and voila.

Like Bush did with Hariet Miers. You throw out one or two ridiculous choices so your base can say 'wtf are you doing', or in this case the Republican base can say 'wtf are you doing'. Then you present someone that is more palatable. Much harder to reject someone that way.

Just how ludicrous was Bush's first nominee?

On October 3, 2005, Bush nominated Miers to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, saying, "Harriet Miers will be the type of judge I said I would nominate: a good conservative judge."[24] Miers' nomination was criticized by people all over the political spectrum due to the fact that she had never served as a judge at any level, her perceived lack of intellectual rigor, her close personal ties to Bush, and her lack of a clear record on issues likely to be encountered as a Supreme Court Justice. Many notable conservatives vigorously criticized her nomination, and numerous conservative groups normally considered part of Bush's political base planned to mount an organized opposition campaign.

Miers met with the Senate Judiciary Committee after her nomination and in those meetings she was ill-prepared and uninformed on the law.[25] Senator Tom Coburn told her privately that she "flunked" and "[was] going to have to say something next time."[25] Miers had difficulty expressing her views and explaining basic constitutional law concepts.[26] Miers had no experience in constitutional law, and did not have extensive litigation experience; at her Texas law firm, she had been more of a manager.[27] In addition, Miers had rarely handled appeals and did not understand the complicated constitutional questions senators asked of her.[27] To White House lawyers, Miers was "less an attorney than a law firm manager and bar association president."[28]

(By the way I was wrong, Obama will have 11 months to pick a replacement, he leaves January 20th, 2017. The Republicans cannot delay that long. If they try to they will have ended any part of any agenda they ever want to get passed in the Senate).

Last edited:
While I have disagreed with Scalia more often than any other SCOTUS Justice, I nevertheless thought he was a brilliant legal mind, and an engaging and acerbic writer in his opinions.

No liberals should cheer for his death - his arguments and opposition were worthy opponents in the political arena, and served to strengthen my own opinions with legitimate challenges to overcome.

Rest in Peace.

Forum List

Back