Brexit Has Been a Disaster

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Like most populist things, Brexit has been a disaster. Populism itself is usually a disaster. Politicians tell the population what they want to hear, regardless whether or not it's true. Whenever I go to the UK, all I hear is lament that the UK left the EU.

Eight years after the referendum, it is safe to say Britain has a serious case of “Bregret.” About 65% of Brits say that, in hindsight, leaving the EU was wrong. Just 15% say the benefits have so far outweighed the costs.​
In the years since 2016, Britain’s economy has slowed to a crawl, growing an average 1.3% versus 1.6% for the G-7 group of rich countries overall. By putting up barriers to trade and migration with its biggest trading partner, Brexit slowed trade and hurt business investment.​
“I’m angry,” says Steve Jackson, a burly taxi driver and part-time construction worker in Boston, a town of 70,000 in eastern England. ... many people here who backed Brexit feel betrayed. Jackson said that none of the promises made by politicians who lobbied for Brexit have come true: higher wages, cheaper food and energy, more money for healthcare, and less immigration. “We’ve been lied to—lock, stock and barrel.”
Goldman Sachs estimates that the British economy is 5% smaller than it otherwise would have been without Brexit, ... The National Institute of Economic and Social Research, a U.K. think tank, estimated that Brexit has resulted in a lost annual income per capita of £850 (over $1,000) since 2020. ...​
Life in Boston meanwhile hasn’t noticeably improved, he adds. “We have achieved nothing,” he says. “You learn what you already knew: That politicians are liars.”​
“If you think about Britain’s big problems, Brexit solved none of them: the crumbling public services, weak economic growth, a shortfall of housing and a need to modernize the energy infrastructure,” says John Springford, an economist at the Centre for European Reform think tank in London.​
Brexit support.png

Populism sucks.

Like most populist things, Brexit has been a disaster. Populism itself is usually a disaster. Politicians tell the population what they want to hear, regardless whether or not it's true. Whenever I go to the UK, all I hear is lament that the UK left the EU.

Eight years after the referendum, it is safe to say Britain has a serious case of “Bregret.” About 65% of Brits say that, in hindsight, leaving the EU was wrong. Just 15% say the benefits have so far outweighed the costs.​
In the years since 2016, Britain’s economy has slowed to a crawl, growing an average 1.3% versus 1.6% for the G-7 group of rich countries overall. By putting up barriers to trade and migration with its biggest trading partner, Brexit slowed trade and hurt business investment.​
“I’m angry,” says Steve Jackson, a burly taxi driver and part-time construction worker in Boston, a town of 70,000 in eastern England. ... many people here who backed Brexit feel betrayed. Jackson said that none of the promises made by politicians who lobbied for Brexit have come true: higher wages, cheaper food and energy, more money for healthcare, and less immigration. “We’ve been lied to—lock, stock and barrel.”
Goldman Sachs estimates that the British economy is 5% smaller than it otherwise would have been without Brexit, ... The National Institute of Economic and Social Research, a U.K. think tank, estimated that Brexit has resulted in a lost annual income per capita of £850 (over $1,000) since 2020. ...​
Life in Boston meanwhile hasn’t noticeably improved, he adds. “We have achieved nothing,” he says. “You learn what you already knew: That politicians are liars.”​
“If you think about Britain’s big problems, Brexit solved none of them: the crumbling public services, weak economic growth, a shortfall of housing and a need to modernize the energy infrastructure,” says John Springford, an economist at the Centre for European Reform think tank in London.​

Populism sucks.
All because the E.U wouldn't alllow the U.K to protect their borders from illegal immigration. Their sovereignty was completely removed. Now the EU are turning further right than the U.K.did (U.K conservatives are going to be turfed also, all very odd) The irony of all of this as Merkel has been sent to the retirement home and Macron may be only a week or so away from this fate himself since he was forced to call a snap election after being decimated in the last election a few weeks ago.

Populism sucks.

Thing is the voters say "we've been betrayed", but it was the voters who were ignorant, who went for the charisma of Farage and Boris, instead of using their brains to think for themselves.

Populism sucks.
Always supporting the State and the globalists.

They didn't leave the EU in order to be more prosperous. They left so that they could stop the disastrous flow of third-world immigrants and to rule themselves rather than having to bow down to thousands of faceless bureaucrats in Belgium.

It is likely they left too late. The damage may have been irreparable.

Populism sucks.
Oh God another fucking Remoaner thread.

Yes, the whole Brexit was built on lies. The EU had nothing to do with Britain's migrant policy, their didn't finance the Union, and overall European regulations didn't have that negative impact on British everyday life.

But that is good that happened, nevertheless. Britain and continental Europe always were at odds.

Populism sucks.
Brexit was never meant to be anything else. The whole thing was invented, funded, and pushed for by people who wanted to see Britain fail.

Putin gave us tRump, but he gave them Brexit.

Yes, the whole Brexit was built on lies. The EU had nothing to do with Britain's migrant policy, their didn't finance the Union, and overall European regulations didn't have that negative impact on British everyday life.

But that is good that happened, nevertheless. Britain and continental Europe always were at odds.
So if an EU member state gave an immigrant a passport that meant they had free movement within Europe, could they go to the UK when we were part of the EU?

Brexit was never meant to be anything else. The whole thing was invented, funded, and pushed for by people who wanted to see Britain fail.

Putin gave us tRump, but he gave them Brexit.
You need to thank Obama, that fool came in and tried to lecture the Brits, that made more to vote out. But now you have a president installed by China, and he's kinda fucked you guys over. "We told you so", now sounds hollow.

For me, Brexit was about sovereignty and I voted leave. Has it been any different? Yes, I'm better off financially and no more stupid directives that favours the shit hole member states but not the majority.

A vote to remain is akin to going to a war grave and pissing on it, sorry, I respect the fallen and I ain't no traitor.

You need to thank Obama, that fool came in and tried to lecture the Brits, that made more to vote out. But now you have a president installed by China, and he's kinda fucked you guys over. "We told you so", now sounds hollow.

For me, Brexit was about sovereignty and I voted leave. Has it been any different? Yes, I'm better off financially and no more stupid directives that favours the shit hole member states but not the majority.

A vote to remain is akin to going to a war grave and pissing on it, sorry, I respect the fallen and I ain't no traitor.
If you're better off financially you're either lying or the only one.

So if an EU member state gave an immigrant a passport that meant they had free movement within Europe, could they go to the UK when we were part of the EU?
If that migrant became a citizen of the EU country, the yes. But how many migrants came to Britain that way? I think the number is quite insignificant.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
If that migrant became a citizen of the EU country, the yes. But how many migrants came to Britain that way? I think the number is quite insignificant.
The answer is 8% of the EU's population. Seems significant to me.

How many EU member states stopped illegals passing through Europe to get into and through France to the UK? What's the EU law if you have an illegal immigrant wandering up your shore line with no passport?

The sooner we can get out the Human Rights crap the better, start to put British Human Lives first.

Forum List

Back