Brian Flores new “Senior Defensive Assistant Coach” for Steelers

Couchpotato

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2021
As a Steeler fan I love this hire. He’s crazy over qualified for this job, but they had already named a DC this year. I’m wondering/hoping if they brought him in to take over for MT because he’s thinking of retiring.

Steelers are the only NFL team that would have hired him, and it certainly is no coincidence it also has the only remaining black head coach. Flores should have never been fired from Miami, the guy is a good coach.

Steelers are the only NFL team that would have hired him, and it certainly is no coincidence it also has the only remaining black head coach. Flores should have never been fired from Miami, the guy is a good coach.
I couldn’t care less about the color of his skin he’s a good coach bottom line. And we need someone on the defensive side of the ball who knows what he’s doing so MT can focus on getting the offense on track with a new QB. Even if we only get him for a year.

Hope the Bengals hang 50 on them.
If the Bengals don’t get their line sorted out they are going to ruin Burrow, and they will be regulated back to the bottom of the division where they have been for the better part of the last 3-4 decades?

If the Bengals don’t get their line sorted out they are going to ruin Burrow, and they will be regulated back to the bottom of the division where they have been for the better part of the last 3-4 decades?
They have probably made the playoffs 8 times over the last 16 seasons. Let's see what pissburgh does without a QB.

He may have been a PC whiner/troublemaker. Like Kaepernick and Marshawn Lynch. These guys are a cancer, whether they play or coach. Yeah, they may have talent, but in the end, you don't win with them.

They have probably made the playoffs 8 times over the last 16 seasons. Let's see what pissburgh does without a QB.
I hate the Steelers so much. I like when they lose as much as when my Raiders win.

I couldn’t care less about the color of his skin he’s a good coach bottom line. And we need someone on the defensive side of the ball who knows what he’s doing so MT can focus on getting the offense on track with a new QB. Even if we only get him for a year.

Yeah, without Ben for the first time in a decade and a half, you are going to need all the help on defense you can get.

He may have been a PC whiner/troublemaker. Like Kaepernick and Marshawn Lynch. These guys are a cancer, whether they play or coach. Yeah, they may have talent, but in the end, you don't win with them.
That's weird because New England and Miami did....

That's weird because New England and Miami did....
NE won because of Brady and Belichick. Miami didn't make the playoffs. Flores had a losing record in Miami. 24-25.
I'm just wondering if the guy is a woke whiner.
Organizations don't want to deal with that.
I sure wouldn't.
I'm a landlord. Whenever I hear a rental candidate start on that stuff, I'm like....yeah, I don't know about this....

Last edited:
NE won because of Brady and Belichick. Miami didn't make the playoffs. Flores had a losing record in Miami. 24-25.
I'm just wondering if the guy is a woke whiner.
Organizations don't want to deal with that.
I sure wouldn't.
I'm a landlord. Whenever I hear a rental candidate start on that stuff, I'm like....yeah, I don't know about this....
Miami was a train wreck when Flores got there, it's why he got hired. He turned that team around and had them headed in the right direction. From what I read he and the GM had a difference in philosophy and the owner picked the GM over Flores. Whatever, it's his team so he gets to decide. Doesnt mean Flores isnt a good coach. If you recall BB was the HC of the Browns before he went to the Jets and then NE. Guess how his record looked in Cleveland....

Miami was a train wreck when Flores got there, it's why he got hired. He turned that team around and had them headed in the right direction. From what I read he and the GM had a difference in philosophy and the owner picked the GM over Flores. Whatever, it's his team so he gets to decide. Doesnt mean Flores isnt a good coach. If you recall BB was the HC of the Browns before he went to the Jets and then NE. Guess how his record looked in Cleveland....
You say he should have gotten hired as a head coach, but you don't know what Miami may have known. That's all I'm saying.

You say he should have gotten hired as a head coach, but you don't know what Miami may have known. That's all I'm saying.
Where did I say that? I would guess that he will likely get another shot at it though

Well, there is certainly that possibility. I'm so sick of hearing the press constantly speaking about Eric Bienemy as the next head coach that "never gets a shot", I wonder if the press considers that the guy might just be a total douchebag? That he might be more of a pain in the ass than any amount of wins he could be responsible for? Flores was certainly a strong willed personality, and it's hard to tell if Ross and him ever got along, but I doubt it.

Well, there is certainly that possibility. I'm so sick of hearing the press constantly speaking about Eric Bienemy as the next head coach that "never gets a shot", I wonder if the press considers that the guy might just be a total douchebag? That he might be more of a pain in the ass than any amount of wins he could be responsible for? Flores was certainly a strong willed personality, and it's hard to tell if Ross and him ever got along, but I doubt it.
EB clearly doesn’t interview well. He’s gotten a lot of interviews but never gets hired. Something is going on. Teams have to be getting some vibe from him that he’s not “the guy“.

You're not the problem! This is a singular travesty created by the "good ol' boy" owners of NFL teams! :stir:

EB clearly doesn’t interview well. He’s gotten a lot of interviews but never gets hired. Something is going on. Teams have to be getting some vibe from him that he’s not “the guy“.

I'm not demanding anyone hire a black coach, but it looks bad to see just 1 HC in a league of 32 teams! Basketball & baseball straightened themselves out years ago, while football is fk'n it up BIG TIME and look horrible doing it! I don't know what can be done; maybe make sure the league gets more progressive and enlightened owners as the teams shift hands! :dunno::itsok::stir::bigbed:

I'm not demanding anyone hire a black coach, but it looks bad to see just 1 HC in a league of 32 teams! Basketball & baseball straightened themselves out years ago, while football is fk'n it up BIG TIME and look horrible doing it! I don't know what can be done; maybe make sure the league gets more progressive and enlightened owners as the teams shift hands! :dunno::itsok::stir::bigbed:
I guess. Here's my take on it. If we were talking about a job that basically anyone with the right qualifications can get like a teacher, or engineer, or insert job here I would agree with you on that it's weird that the population in that job isnt generally in line with the general population as it pertains to race, ethnicity whatever. That said. I don't think you can look at NFL HC jobs the same way and for no other reason than the sample size is so small and that the job goes so far beyond knowing the X's and O's. There have been so many guys who know the game, were great coordinators but just didn't cut it as HC's. It really has to come down to whether the owner or the GM depending on the team has confidence that the HC is "the guy". Look how long guys like Jason Garrett or Marvin Lewis stuck around with their teams. Over a decade and never won shit but the owner believed in them and that's all that matters.

Take Mike Tomlin for example. I don't know that he's the greatest X's and O's guy. He made his bones as a defensive guy, and there's no way he understood the 3-4 better than LeBeau when he was DC. But that's not why the Rooney's hired MT. They hired him to manage the team and put guys around him to handle the minute details of running the individual squads. I think Noel and Cowher were much the same. You'll notice the Steelers have not been as good as MT has had to take on the responsibility of calling the Defense and be more hands on. MT was only a DC for a single year and the Steelers brought him in to interview but didn't think he was going to be quite ready to take on the HC job. Apparently, he blew them away and the rest is as they say history.

Forum List

Back